Burning Steel

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Woffleet, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

This relic has Burning Steel (When this unit is deployed, equipped enemy champions take 10 Fire damage. If a champion affected by this ability is within 5 spaces of this unit, it also loses all AP).

Ok so lets start by breaking down the effect. It has 2 components; "When this unit is deployed, equipped enemy champions take 10 Fire damage," and "If a champion affected by this ability is within 5 spaces of this unit, it also loses all AP."

The first component: This effect is amazing. However it comes witha condition they must be equipped. Here is the basic flaw in this abilities design. Dealing 10 damage to all equiped enemy champions means that it is meant to assit you in killing them. But because they need to be equiped unless the opposing player just happens to be running and equipment heavy BG you have to equip them.

So lets envision some situations. If the opponent doesn't have any eqipment out I have to spend nora to equip them then play burning steel. So essentially I am paying 35 nora + equipments cost to deal 10 damage to 1 single champion! For 2 enemy champions i'm paying 35 nora + 2 X equipment cost. Definately not worth the trouble. Even with lasher helm the synergy is weak because it requires lots of setup and with thee abudence of healing these days slow effects like the helm arn't viable.

TLDR The effecet is bad because it requires the opponent to equip multiple champs to be viable. Otherwise you're just paying tons of nora for a one time AP loss and 10 damage.

I suggest making the effect deal more damage, deal damage if not equiped and more if equiped, or just give friendlies a buff like + 2 DMG

@Sokolov please change.

2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

My biggest gripe with the relic is that once it is down it does nothing. Short of it contesting a font, it is in the opposing players best interest NOT to kill the relic because then it could be deployed again. I just wish it had something, even Fire Aura 1 because then it has some theoretic use after its deployment.

Edit: I would love to see something like "At the beginning of you turns, opposing equipped champions become charred for 2 turns."

Baskitkase likes this.
  3. Woffleet

Yes it needs a continued effect. That would be a great effect except it still doesn't solve its main gripe of costing you so much nora to be effective. Though It would have great synergy with lasher helm then.

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Dwarves can equip enemies for free and 1 AP

Etherielin, SPiEkY and aseryen like this.
  5. Woffleet

Hm I never thought about that. So does it work well in your Dwarven BG?

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I dont use it so no idea

7. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

I see it as a seism buffer for more valuable relics.

Has some nice synergy with Steal Life in FW.

Imp Thunderclops is also a good rune to split with ex:Ethereal Pool is deployed at the shrine while Imp Thunderclops deploys Burning Steel to buffer. Add a Punishing Aura/Traitorous Helm module in and you have some great control of the opponents AP. UD/IS makes this relic pretty strong but there are a few other good splits.

Heretic Overlord is the only rune UD has to Punishing Aura and it fits with Intoxicated so it works with the original theme design of equip decks.

8. Woffleet

Your uses of the relic still don't address its main issuse that you have to pay nora for it to be effective. But otherwise those are some neat ideas! Definatly worth considering.

9. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

Split kf and use living vines ... could be anche idea. Dont know if worth it.

10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Not worth it. Sok was just trolling IS with terribleness again.

11. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i'm testing it in carouse dwarves deck...its not that bad. you can contest a font while damaging a champ the other side of the map. also can be recurred with the spell that i always forget the name that blasts a relic and does 10mag dmg + awestruck.

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Great use of Nora and card resources right there!

Not

13. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

No need to be salty.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Don't worry, I'm not, doc said its bad for my heart.

MaruXV likes this.
  15. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

I missed the point where I said "itsThemostepicandcostefficientcomboever".
    it's NOT THAT BAD (that doesnt mean "really good") in a carouse deck than can easily equip 2-3 enemy champs, with the opponent equipping maybe one by himself it can be a 30-40 dmg over all map + AP lose on 1/2 champs + relic contest. And using the relic blast spell, (that can be used also on normal oppoent relics, btw), you can blast it away awestrucking somebody and redeploy it.
    Ask your doctor if you should add some sugar in your diet. Life's too short for all that salt^^

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Just as I missed the point where you said "imtryingtomakeacrapdeckwillthisrunework?"

Also, you get no internet points for the use of that salt joke, since bobbby mcbobbert used it two posts ahead of you. Please adjust your total.

17. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW