Buying PoxNora...The (NOT SO) Final Post->Read!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bondman007, Jul 22, 2018.

1. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

come on guys, someone has to do something to fix and save Pox! Just fix the damn chat somehow and Pox will slowly come alive again and maybe will attract some attention again by whoever controlls it.... I want to play pox again!!!

... and today i played a few games. And I love the game even in current state, JUST I NEED CHAT. It feels like playing single player game. It feels muted. Empty. Why devs let game die by such stupid reason like forgetting to turn chat back on?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Fentum likes this.
  2. Lightsmith

Lightsmith New Member

@Bondman007

Had a chance to review the thread. All of it... lol. Now I am going to reply... First of all, I am one of the owners of RealGameFX. I can tell you that I have plenty of experience in IP, NDA's, etc...

IMO..yes, there is something seriously wrong that you have not received a reply. As for the argument that they are bound and gagged and cannot reply..no. When money is on the table people are interested. Try sending my company an email about money and people would be fired if I see that they did not send a reply or inquiry. If I do not want the deal publicly aired I offer to send them an NDA and the discussion would continue. End of story. Several theories proposed about "letting go of the reins" as well as people moving on to other things seem to have some merit at this point in the picture. One project we had worked on heavily for years left us so bitter, after a $150,000 legal battle of 2 years with partners (a different company), we were unwilling to even discuss it for over a year. We were worn out and angry with each other. An example of possible scenarios. Of course an NDA made sure details could never be disclosed by us as partners...

Next. Great work Bondman, you show heart and soul in working this thing. I have seen the "reproofs" you have received and think you can ignore them. You are passionate about the project and are rightfully frustrated. You will receive alot of criticism from"quadriplegic athletes" with alot of advice, but doing nothing constructive about furthering your progress. Most will tell you "what you should have done". Don't let it get to you is my advice. If you ever get some progress on this issue, please let me know. Feel free to write to me at my company. Best of luck and well done!

Anima26, SPiEkY, Sokolov and 5 others like this.
  3. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Wow man, that's refreshing... Thanks!

I am a business owner and so I understand how they work. DOG is obviously having some major issues. I've tried to get people to understand that throughout this thread. (as has @Sokolov ) DOG is not simply "ignoring" requests or simply "don't care," rather, they are pretty much out of business.

Here's my personal synopsis:
    The company overspent on Pox with the initial purchase of Pox and needed it to make an immediate impact with money which apparently it did not do.
    To gain funds, they teamed with Sony to get it on PS Network. But, because the client ended up being a much bigger job than anticipated, the funds ended up not being enough to justify a fully bug-free app.
    Since the funds dried up and people need to eat, each co-founder went their separate ways leaving DOG on autopilot.
    The co-founders would basically be left with very little incentive to sell ANYTHING really, because, presumptively, any profits would need to be split AT LEAST four ways and it ultimately wouldn't be worth their time to go through the hassle.
    All that said, hopefully the domain/server fees get paid at least until a decent sequel arrives.
    Unless something RADICALLY changes, it appears Pox Nora is done.

4. Lightsmith

Lightsmith New Member

I agree with your assessment. As for me, I have played roughly 2 years. Hands down one of the best strat games I have played and find its loss would create a vacuum hard to fill. I have played alot of games and am over 50 ;) (Someone mentioned the old X-Coms. Yes, one of the all stars on my list for well thought out as well.) .

I have seen Sokolov's comments and others on power creep. I agree on that as well. Based on what I am seeing here, it sounds more and more like a clone is the direction, or snapshot for the moment. I saw earlier in the posts that two individuals are working in that direction. If they are able to dial the power creep back to normal levels they should have a hit. Additionally, making it player friendly to new players so that they are not driven away by having the heck beaten out of them for 3-4 months solid before they start winning any appreciable amount of games.

My company is tied up on 2 projects atm. One involves a pitch we will be making to Star Citizen soon, and another to be announced, so I am afraid I am forced to be an observer on the sidelines for now, as we are maxxed out. But, I will be watching, as others, with great interest. Please, all of you moving forward, keep us posted on your progress! All the best!

5. Kendoshi

Kendoshi I need me some PIE!

Just wanted to say thanks to Bondman and others who wish to revive the game. Thank you for your efforts! I can't program nor anything else in that regard so I am no help but I would support it with some money if the time comes. Cheers from Switzerland!

Anima26, Sokolov and Bondman007 like this.
  6. polltroy

Im chcking in here several times every day now to see if there are any good news. Seems not :( I want chat back and some small promo for game and suddenly it will come alive again. I started to play a bit and really like it even in current conditions. Is there not anyone who has access to servers and knows how to make updates?

7. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Would be cool if they gave us over the access to the code and all that. They can still make money off the game potentially for free, but some of the more dedicated players could update the game for them.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The access code is 1234. Go ham.

Gnomes and Bondman007 like this.
  9. polltroy

Every day lately i try to play at least one game. And it seems Im not alone, there are always some 2 games going on and someone waiting or soon joining for playing with me. So should be really easy to get game alive after some small update and some mass email to all old players.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Fentum likes this.
  10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

What's easy is to overestimate the value/power of your ideas. Of course, this also depends on your definition of "alive."

This is not possible since SOE did not give the user data back with the game, citing privacy laws. So the only emails are the ones who have played recently, basically.

11. 0ryuk0

0ryuk0 I need me some PIE!

We want POX back!

12. polltroy

Game was alive after DOG took over again. There was a period with lots of activity. Maybe game was not profitable but for sure it was active. Id say to get out to those "old" players is a good start.

And for sure this is an old game and will prob not become a new cash cow for DOG
    But with very small effort (fix in-game chat!!!!!!) small update to show its still qlive etc, im sure players will slowly return. And then, when there is a stqble plqyer base again, DOG/ whoever controls may consider to launch that half ready expansion again and try to get some money in. And key after that I would say is to keep it tight. Small rare updates/fixes just to give feeling its not abandonned. Rest community and new and old players will fix.

13. polltroy

Basically game was "killed" due to disabling chat for a long time.
    1. new players dont feel this belonging to game. Forum is way to far away. Discord is even too far away for me!
    2. no help to new players
    3. no feeling of point with rank which was part of the whole fun with game. To have that few days of fame due to some new OP combo
    4. feeling of emptiness during game play
    5. no one to tease during gameplay
    6. no comments after a good game.is won or lost
    7. no one to ask.when somwtjing weird happens in game
    8. no in-game friends

basically just booring without chat

14. polltroy

9. game feels abandonned. even if there were just a few games running in past you always saw lots of peuple in lobby

15. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

Sok, even though I appreciate everything you have done to this game and the support you have given to it, that's a hypocritical argument.

You already admitted the reason Pox is not doing well is because of the overestimation of your ideas by trying to appease PS fans and create a client that did not end up working as intended, messing up your loyal PC fanbase.

I'm on the side of Polltroy when it comes to seeing back the old client (if this client is stuck in this state). My honest opinion on seeing a Pox 2.0 that looks, sounds, and plays better than Pox 1.0 without remaking 1000 new models and animations, at least for me is quite improbable.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Valkyr likes this.
  16. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

https://www.nianticlabs.com/developers/

https://storage.googleapis.com/nweb-media-storage/niantic-beyond-reality-contest-rules.pdf

Niantic is having a contest, including myself, we need four more team members to enter into the hack-a-thon.

This opportunity will allow for those interested to put forward their ideas in a constructive manner.

I am a Technical Artist and will take lead for those who are interested.

- Java Coder
    - Unity Developer*
    - Sound Tech
    - Digital Artist*
    - Storywriter*

Currently as a technical artist I can support the roles with an asterisk. Other than that I’m too far out of my depth to put in quality work. That being said if you can support any of these roles please send me a private message or respond to this thread.

One of the biggest problems with Poxnora was lack of awareness to such a complex game, here is a platform that can support a good amount of complexity while being niche enough to give us the attention for years to come with minimal advertising required.

Again if you have an incentive to participate in this project do not hesitate to contact me. A video submission is required middle of February so the clock is ticking.

PoxGo - it’s a thing, we can do this!

@Sokolov @Capitulator @Bondman007 @Lightsmith @Gnomes @polltroy

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Bondman007 likes this.
  17. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Sounds lovely!

aseryen likes this.
  18. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

I am with you in spirit. The best I can do is to try and pass this info along to people that know how to do what you are asking. Unfortunately, I can barely spell the positions you are needing. Good luck!

aseryen likes this.
  19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

My apologies, I didn't intend for it to come across as hypocritical. I have made similar statements in the past in various contexts and one of my bigger points about this is that it happens to everyone - even people well versed or experts in their field. In fact, often experts become blinded by previous experience and ignore features of a new situation or context because they are so sure what worked before must work again. I have certainly overestimated or misunderstood what players wanted to see in terms of balance changes or new features/content in various capacities.

That said, I had very little to do with the decision to do the PS4 client. I did hope it would function better than the old client, but I also had no illusions about a new client dramatically changing things.

As far as I understand, the old client would not function even if it was available as the backend had to change to accomadate the requirements of the new client and the PS platform.

Bondman007 likes this.
  20. dbouya

dbouya I need me some PIE!

I will say, the new client coming out, 100% caused me to quit, it just flat out didn't work. I think a lot of people would've kept playing on the old client, but that "lot" was still a small number that was dwindling slowly over time, and that small number wasn't profitable. So pox threw a hail mary pass, they needed a miracle, they hoped a new client would do it. As with most hail mary passes it didn't work. A slow death would've been better for me personally, I'd have gotten to have more fun, but business wise, a sure slower death, versus a quicker death with a tiny chance at redemption? I guess it's a different choice.

polltroy likes this.