Cactuar Crate: Planar Disturbances

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jul 28, 2016.

1. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

Have a virtual cookie for saying what I want to say so badly but cant find the words to do so.

2. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

On top of frigid barrier doing a Bane Shift ton of damage, it debuffs all enemies left alive in the font, and also summons crystal around the edge (Think you guys don't need me to work out all the advantages that does), it does way too much for it's cost. Like why is the debuff even part of it anyways?

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Keep in mind a few things:
    1. The recent patch was basically all the backed up stuff from the last many months of no real patches
    2. Frost Amp "rampant" is relatively recent (though was never bad)
    3. I have nerfed pieces of it already previously

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  4. Sokolov

Thanks for the notes.

With stuff like this, I do often wonder how much of it is actually OP and how much of it is just what people are playing right now.

That said, I do really like the idea of changing the attack type on Snowspinner. Not sold on Snow Shroud CD change - it has been nerfed 3 times since I came back and I am not convinced that it's an issue anymore other than the fact that it FEELS oppressive due to its nature.

Acolyte is interesting because when it was originally changed to this version, it was widely considered to be a substantial nerf and not worth using by many people. However, we have also since nerfed other healing in general and damage across the board so things have changed.

At the same time, changing something 1 or 2 nora doesn't seem like something really worth doing.

There is already a proposed adjustment to K'ento, please take a look.

Frigid Barrier/Fiery Ambush came from a different era of Pox, and while it has its drawbacks I think with the overall damage reduction and reduced efficiency on many AEs the two did start standing out (this is also partly what's happened to Grimlic's Bane, which from a pure calculation perspective is probably fine, but high base damage numbers are somewhat of an outlier these days). So maybe 12 DMG? Or 10 DMG and 35 nora?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  5. Sokolov

My desire is to update all charged abilities/mechanics at some point since the whole system is awkward, so in general I have avoided spending too much time on these things. Some of the newer mutation-type abilities show some promise as well.

I will check him out when I have a minute tho - maybe it's something small as you say.

Tweek516 and Vote Kanye 2020 like this.
  6. Sokolov

I will make a note to look into this, but has anyone else encountered this problem?

7. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

Snowshroud cant be CD increased because the other champs that have it are trash. It's only good on spinner because it has orb on base + great healing. I forgot about acolyte on my list but its definitely undercost in ST

8. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Shouldn't Demonvein Vampyre at least have Life Siphon, Bleed or Lifedrinker? After the Leech Vitality nerfs it seems a bit harsh.

Drain seems pretty good but I think Consume would only really work in ff FW which he is never run in. Would be cool to see Consume swapped out for Life Siphon, Bleed or Lifedrinker.

decided to move my fleshweaver suggestion here also:

U1
    Immunity: Disease
    Disease Eater
    Designate Scapegoat

U2
    Disease Breath
    Twisted Essence/ Heal 1/ Empathy
    Swap

Ideally though I think she would be best off just going back to Charged Heal/ Death Charged depending on how the rework of those abilities turns out. Or just Cast: Nublin's Surpise Pies ofc.

9. GoldTiger

If you read my proposed changes/issues with the current meta, and even @MogaBait's, you would notice the problem isn't "Frost Amp". Yes there are noobs out there crying frost amp itself is OP but those people aren't understanding the core problem. Other than frost acolyte (and of course frigid barrier which you have been very hesitant to nerf for some reason despite always being bonkers), very few of the needed nerfs are concerned with actual frost amp champs/spells/synergies etc. It's the non-frost amp champs that are being included that are in dire need of a nerf. I urge you not to get caught up in all the other BS and understand this point very clearly. I'd relate frost amp to FS poison and psy amp, very strong BGs however FS doesn't have access to snowspinner, aspect and phoenix and so they can't be ridiculously OP BGs. If they were added to FS it would shoot straight to t0 territory and get nerf calls. So it's not the amp but these runes that need to be nerfed (PS if you added acolytes to psy/poison it would be pretty oppressive too so yeah that ability is slightly too efficient in a faction with a faction bonus that increases your HP).

If frost amp purely gets nerfed without the adequate support nerfs the REAL best BG in the current meta will still run rampant. Since it seems as though you've taken Moga's ideas in to account and not mine I can only assume you didn't read them so here are my proposed changes that I hope will fix the oppressiveness of both frost amp and ST split at the same time.

Obviously these are almost identical to Moga's (I wonder why) so the main point here is that there are also other ideas there that I would like to see happen that you may have missed, namely the ghost, swallow whole and tough design changes, and the boghopper mentor redesign.

10. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

Its ok mate I stopped playing you can stop trying to nurf everything I ever play into the ground. Take Goliath Fesh for instance, it hasnt been changed in a long time and I am the only person that has actually used it. Most people think "Goliath Fesh" sucks. The fact I found a way to make it runnable doesnt mean it is OP and needs a nurf lol. It requires a lot of set up and nora cost to make it work. Those extra rune slots reduce your playability in other areas of the game. The only reason it looks so good in my old BG is because that type of champ is what my BG seriously lacks. Good deck building doesnt make something OP.

Please Sok take some time to really consider what people are suggesting before making rash moves.

11. Chris

I also think saying an ability is OP in a faction is not fair. Acolytes in ST is powerful but if it wasnt anymore powerful in other factions, why bother having faction bonuses, just make them all the same. I dont play Extinguisher btw.

I play all factions/themes/decks so you wont get any biased opinions from me.

12. GoldTiger

I don't think fesh being immune to damage for 6 turns is an intended interaction. Similar to @calisk's infinite bog pearl nora interaction BG, it's simply an oversight due to the existence of splits. Don't act as though this is a fair and balanced way to win games due to your superior deck building abilities.

Also you don't play extinguisher because you aren't playing frost amp it's quite simple.

13. potatonuts

People used to whine about G.Fesh all the time, it was guaranteed to be found in chat at least a few times a day. It just fell out of meta for a long time but it's still just as good as it always was, It can be a very difficult unit to run into early even without spell support and especially on a small map.

I even saw Polltroy wreck people with those things.

14. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I would probably have to agree with both Chris and Gold here on certain points. While fesh alone is at best mediocre (in my opinion), he shouldn't be nerfed due to an interaction that makes him good.

However, surely swallow whole and the 6 turn impervious interaction is an oversight. Like once it's been done there is literally no stopping it unless you have purge or something like cleansing flame (Which lets be honest, these kind of things are incredibly rare outside of SL)

Tweek516 and potatonuts like this.
  15. potatonuts

I'd say that sums it up pretty well.

16. Chris

The impervious isnt free - it costs 35 nora in a spell form which has its own counters and as mentioned can be dispelled. The fesh cannot move or contest fonts while shallow whole is active. Generally speaking you will need to use nora (lets say 40 on average) to actually activate swallow whole and a further 35 nora to grant impervious. That is also at least 3 rune slots. It is worth it in my deck but other decks it wouldnt work.(I would elaborate but dont want to give too many secrets away) If that is considered OP then there isnt much left in the game which is not OP. The fact you choose not to add counters to your decks and want to win purely based on how you build your deck not taking the meta into account is an oversight on your part imo. My meta decks change almost on a weekly basis to take into account what is or what isnt being played.

Throwing a deck together in 5 minutes and expecting to win all your games because you feel you are the better player is an unrealistic expectation. The dreaded SotM deck has taken 6 months of analysis, tweaking and literally 1000s of games to get it to the current form. People tend to forget the journey and just see the output that is infront of them.

Tiny is a good example of doing this well. Before his current version of KF rangers he went through countless decks until he found something that could deal with the current meta, once he found it he tweaked it and made it better. How many people keep playing the same deck in same form expecting a different outcome? When that doesnt happen they hit up on the forums to get the nurf bat out.

Regardless of player skill someone like me is always going to do reasonably well due to my ability to adapt to change - Please dont think you can win with any deck just because you feel you are a better player. That only really comes into play when two reasonably equal players are playing a deck of the same quality.

17. Chris

Also where can we see the proposed changes to champs/runes?

Thanks,

18. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Crystallize may not be the biggest priority right now (especially since Chris is on a break) but it has been bugged for a year or so and is actually pretty insanely powerful. The interesting part of this conversation is that the goliath fesh combo is actually a 100% legit use of the spell and is just solid deckbuilding; prior to the last expansion, a GF player would just relocate the fesh away after it swallows and not have to spend nora to keep it digesting. The problematic aspect of crystallize is that it is now divided into two effects and you can cleanse the immobile/pacified parts of it, so if you combine it with cleansing aura or some kind of purified unit like k'ento (though let's be honest, it's not like any ST deck would contain k'ento), it is basically Impervious with 3x the potency and 1.2x the cost. This, to me, is an insane level of spell power and the only reason why it hasn't been an issue is because the only player that has been using it this way is Braxzee so it hasn't made it to top-level play until the last month or so when Chris started using it. A bug fix should be all it takes to square up the broken part of the spell, but cocoon is a similar ability that sets a good precedent for making it last 5 turns instead of 6 if its natural synergies (ie. goliath fesh) are actually too powerful.

Tweek516 likes this.
  19. Sokolov

In the first post of this thread.

20. Sokolov

Swallow Whole is fine, and I have no problem with people using Crystallize or whatever else to protect the unit while it's doing its thing. That's a valid combo/synergy.

Crystallize being partially cleansable is a pretty old bug, as stated, and is still considered a bug and not only affects the spell but the ability as well.