Cactuar Crate: Planar Disturbances

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jul 28, 2016.

1. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

I don't wanna sit here and argue semantics, but if I'm reading the comment about ladder right and going with that perceived definition of OP, primarily mixed BG autos that go in everything by diluting choice would be OP but we wouldn't even get a clear read on that unless you mass imported Asians into the competitive Pox scene for a good couple months. We are instead stuck with an underdeveloped meta from lack of incentive to be competitive and whimsy top player BG choices. If I was going to single out any particularity ranged unit for IS, it wouldn't be Gravitone, it would be Plainswalker.

From my point of view, Kinetic Impulse is possibly OP because there's no strong hold over range scaling and it will only get worse over time so almost any unit with that ability has the possibility of getting super dumb tier damage for the investment. For instance, if spot Warlord, Preparation or some other range booster was ever released, then people would just start slapping it on KI units for massive damage. That was my main argument. Icefang and Gravitone{this guy less so in jank decks, it's more about the design decisions he reflects) are dumb for other reasons besides Slam from my point of view but they served as good examples for the Kinetic Impulse case I'm making. Lastly, speaking solutions, proposals or whatever you meant, I would simply ask that special considerations be taken for this ability in the future as there's only 3 units with it atm. I don't think it's an emergency issue or anything but but it's worth discussing tbh. Maybe a 10 damage cap(5+ spaces) like @Gutsa said would be enough to make sure people don't break it somehow in the future and that's already 20ish nora worth of damage for the base 8 price so it's not shoebox material either.

Etherielin and davre like this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am ok with a cap. Pretty easy to do code wise too.

Etherielin likes this.
  3. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

What about splitting slam into ranks like what was done to sunder? Rank 1 for ranged, 2 for melee?

4. Sokolov

I actually really hate that.

5. Etherielin

Splitting of sunder or the idea of splitting slam? If the latter, why exactly?

6. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

Asking for ranks of slam opens the conversation of consolidation. What would ranks of slam be if not just ranks of knockback.

7. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

10 damage cap won't change anything. it has to be like 6 imo.

8. Sokolov

DMR's cap of 10 is more about limiting abuse angles, so you are right that it won't do anything to existing champions. I think a cap of 6 would end up making it largely unappealing compared to other DMG buffing abilities that do not require the champion to pay for RNG.

In any case, I actually already implemented this cap at 4 stacks (+8 DMG) internally for testing. Like 10, it really doesn't impact the current champions with the ability very much, but does limit the ceiling of any optimized decks designed to exploit the ability.

9. Alakhami

the thing is though that the +8dmg is what icefang and gravitone get with their attacks at max range attacks.

10. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

you say that like it's not what the abilities intended use is though? theyre given low base damage for a reason

11. Sokolov

As I said, neither I (nor DMR, based on what I am reading), intends for the cap to nerf the runes currently. Only to curb the potential for their range to be further manipulated.

12. Alakhami

okay, then how do you plan on nerfing them? don't you think that it'll remain problematic everytime a new champion is introduced with that abillity?

13. Etherielin

Sok already has plans for Icefang, but at the same time he doesn't want to apply collateral damage to other impulse champs (the SP clops would suffer the most and that'd makes @Gnomes cry - don't make these blue eyes cry!)

Tweek516 and Gnomes like this.
  14. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

IIRC Ranged Stance Will be changed to increase your minimum range so when Icefang goes super saiyan, it won't be a straight up +6.

15. Alakhami

to me the cyclops is also OP; same goes for the gravitone. the instances in which the abillity becomes a drawback are so rare that I just feel the cheapness of the abillity is not justified. It either has to be low capped or the impulse champs have to have min 2 range -- one way or another. On a side note, i find it an interesting coincedence that both of them have access to improve range.

16. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

But the cyclops is not op because of his dmg from impulse, but from his tele 3... So it's kinda off or?

17. Alakhami

eh, why would you run him with tele 3? he can be so cheap. I mean, even if you want the mobility, isn't tele 2 enough?

18. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

moving 9 speed will win you games on some maps.

19. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Ele plateau mid font and
    Lava map bot font
    Also enemy island font on is map with bridges

can be capped turn one with 9 speed. Draw wins

20. Alakhami

I see...