Cactuar Crate - Ronin Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Likely if you see what I'm saying as baseless complaints then you do not understand the game well enough to understand what I am trying to communicate. If you've been here for long enough and said "xyz should be fixed" then the first 100 times you mention it, you might do so with more tact than the 2nd 100 times. I personally hold the devs and PDC to a fairly high standard in the area of quality, not necessarily quantity (due to manning/resources). If something falls short of that standard then they'll hear from me (maybe, and with much less frequency these days because I don't care for the game nearly as much as I used to).

But then... why am I even replying to someones opinions about my opinions... I've created an opinion about an opinion about an opinion, a dangerous thing to do on the interwebs. Feel free to ignore me as well if my posts do not suit you. Thats certainly what I'll do if you keep tagging me in stupid opinion on opinion posts.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  2. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

From what I read it looked like he was saying your complaints had merit and that they were beneficial. For what it's worth he did join at a time when there was a lot of stuff that needed to be fixed.

xezno likes this.
  3. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

I tagged you because I was aiming for that to be a compliment but I am sorry if that was not clear enough. When I started here, you are BP where two of the people who BLEWUP the forums with negative posts. I find that to be quite the opposite now. You both still do have negative posts at times but I find most posts from both of your to be constructive, justified, and generally include what a key problem might be and what needs to be done to fix said problem. What @ChiaoLung just posted is what I was trying to say.

Your actions, through your words, speak louder than anything. You treat Sok like garbage, you only post negative quips with no substance, and you can say "I like the guy and wish all the best for him" all you want but once again, everything else you say contradicts that statement. How you disrepect Sok is my biggest issue because he does listen to you at times. I am not sure actually if my issue is more with you, @Pedeguerra, or @Sokolov for the fact he does go out of his way to find something of substance in your abuse. I feel it is nothing but a negative for the game as a whole.

4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Apologies then, I misread.

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Also, Pede is due his frustration. Anything outside of personal attacks at this point. If I were a dev I would value even his replies, or especially his replies. He represents a very important part of our current customer demographic: disgruntled previously loyal paying customers. There's quite a few of them and they almost always post as he does then disappear. He's a voice for quite a few people who are out there playing other games, doing other things. If we could create a game that would win back their loyalty I'd bet they've made friendships in other games and would bring those people back with them.

I certainly would. I play SWTOR and when I'm on my TS but playing Pox, they are always like "WIMBLE LOG ON SO WE CAN PWN" and I'm like "I'm playing that other game that I play" (meaning Pox) but I havent yet - and won't dare - tell them about the game.

At this point I'm skeptical if the game will ever get to that point.

I don't see us going in a descending death circle of doom, but more of an eternal holding pattern, kinda hotel california. The releases bring revenue ,and therefore must be priority, but they releases bloat the system and cause as many problems as are fixed between releases. I like that they have hired Moles and that other guy whose name is not Moles but while I greatly appreciate their effort, I have not yet seen a global step forward in the game (measured by average population).

But I hope I'm wrong and I've always got one eye on optimism so I'm still hanging on, just less frustratedly than Pede.

Pattn199, JellyBerry and Pedeguerra like this.
  6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The problem is that the voice is largely just frustration, and IMO, lacks substance. It doesn't mean the frustration itself isn't warranted, but there's little I can do with feedback such as "this will be OP" and "the devs don't care about balance." The former is so general and often kneejerk (for example, saying something in the preview is OP without knowing nora costs and what the abilities do), while the latter is just insulting.

There is a natural progression we expect players to take, and I will use Veterans partially to reference the "disgruntled previously loyal customers" group below.

It's more detailed than this, but a quick summary is:
    • New player, very interested in new systems, uninterested or lacking in the tools/understanding to think about balance
    • Learning player, discovering emergent behaviors, starting to decide on balance (usually wrong and kneejerky)
      • Most players have left by this point (true of all games, more or less)
    • Regular player, starts to recognize initial assumptions may have been wrong, starts to play things they haven't before, begins to obtain mastery over systems
    • Veteran player, very interested in balance, bored with systems (because they are well versed with them), thinks about the game more than plays
    Think about even the BEST games you have ever played. Are you still playing them? How long did they last? Pox, for many of us, has lasted far beyond the expected life expectancy of a game, particularly one that has the turmoil that it has gone through.

And how many games seemed awesome and you could play them forever, only to discover after some mastery of their systems that it wasn't as enjoyable as you first thought?

~

At this point in Pox's life, we have already churned through most of the potential players for this game. While we haven't given up on increasing the playerbase, the reality is that there is a lot of things against that happening to a significant extent, and honestly, most of the concerns Veterans player aren't typically the ones that draws/drives new player growth either.

At the same time, Veterans are also not one group of players. They have varied desires and wants. Some want buffs, some want nerfs, some want more single player content, some want more maps, some want more abilities, some want less. Some may not think people want more complexity, but I actually get a ton of messages asking me why I am dumbing down the game.

So the problem is, as you all well know, is that it doesn't matter what is done, it's going to piss off a bunch of people. Nerf KF bonus? You bet that'll cause a bunch of KFers to quit - heck, I know of at least 2 who quit just because it was being talked about. Does it make Pede come back? Probably not. Is it still worth doing? From a design point of view? Probably. Same thing when I nerfed the Angels. And some people are unhappy I am buffing some stuff, while others are simultaneously mad I haven't buffed more stuff.

The other problem is that at the Veterans stage, there are 2 major groups. One group who is still very invested and interested in the game, and want to give constructive feedback and discuss things. The other group, the "Disgruntled" portion, largely just wants to vent and is tired of giving feedback that they don't feel is generally listened to. This, again, is the natural progression. Players don't often agree on what should be done, and so when you have 10 Veterans making 8 different suggestions for a particular problem, half of those Veterans are going to feel they weren't listened to.

This is why I make such a big point of communicating and discussions - even when people keep telling me I shouldn't listen to players. It isn't that I want to do everything anyone ever says - I just know that is actually impossible, but that most people just want to feel like they are being acknowledged. The other reason I engage, particularly with the snippy stuff, is because I recognize there may be valid points and opinions there... but I can't do anything with it if I don't try and find out what their problem/issue is.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    iPox, xezno, Sirius and 4 others like this.
  7. Sokolov

Do you think Sustain abilities are currently breaking the game? That's all these are.

Themes are being ran. I don't know where you are looking, but I am seeing them. And even if they weren't being ran, it seems to me this sort of thing would HELP themes - and thereby increase diversity.

Also, since you are proponent of "toning down," I'd think you'd be pro removing the ridiculous nora refunds on these Hero equips.

8. Sokolov

Like which ones? People keep saying Worms are bad, but I have yet to see any specifics.

Pattn199 likes this.
  9. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Great worms: dusk creeper
    good worms: bloodfiend
    ok worms: rotmaw creeper, phantasmal creeper
    Bad worms: bloodworm, mindthief creeper
    awful worms: carrion collosus
    worms i haven't had a chance to play: blinking creeper, eye of serken, putrid creeper

I'd like to suggest changes but think it would be better to decide on necrosis first as this will effect how they work - if it retracts on worm death then you need more survivable worms for example.

10. Sokolov

That is the plan, but it will also retain the on kill portion. So I could also see having some increased kill potential.

11. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Sok, bud, I read your lengthy post above and I agree with it a lot more than you think.
    With that alone I will shut up with the harassing and negative part, for now, and just wait until the expansion rolls out.
    However, I am done with giving "constructive feedback". Sorry, take it as you will, but Im done with it.
    Does it mean my opinion has less merit because im not explaining it through? Probably. Does it make me wrong? Not at all.
    But yeah, lets see how much you cost the hyaneids/djim abilities, but I already saw a problem with it considering the 1AP and 2CD thing, and the abilities being given.
    Equips change I have no idea how they are rolling out, so they remain a mistery to me.
    That will be all. Have a good one.

12. Darkorona

Darkorona The King of Potatoes

About the incoming incorporeal changes: Warning: Wall of text ahead, TL;DR on the bottom

[02/23] Incorporeal - This champion has Immunity - Physical, and takes 50/75% less damage from all non-Magical sources. (This would also come with some adjustments to existing champions who have access to Incorporeal mechanics.)

Spirits as a theme relies SO MUCH on incorporeal as a form of defense, stealth and positioning, and it is getting nerfed mainly because people hate to play against it. Which in my opinion that should not be enough to nerf this interaction.

allow me to state my point; here is a link to my spirit deck, I have played spirits for about 2 years now, making them my main BG since ever.

https://poxbase.com/deck/c8zCw4cowCf2Cg-cg@c44clbCqgCjZs3gSgs12S5_sns4fs5arTR2Pr8e20eq

How is that OP enough to get a nerf?, if someone didn't realize, yes there is a collection of souls, and skeletal lerper. this bg has The main strategy of spirits is late game fighting, with ranged surgers, cheap meat from haunt/magistrates/deception; to boost surgers, the front line consists of weak beaters and debuffers, but they have phase shift/ethereal to last more in the front line while using auras to slowly lower their health. the role of collection of souls is inspiring units, and serve as a wall of meat blocking the path to defend them.

if you see the deck theres nothing op in there, but its still getting nerfed. Why is that? because people just play effective champions, with good stats for a low nora cost. And spirits are only good when people don't know how to fight against them.

3 things to know how to fight against spirits

1. RUSH (This works against almost all FW), if you rush me theres pretty much i can't do, my units are not nora effective and any good player knowing how to rush will destroy this deck.
    2. DETECTION the best way to make the game slower is by going stealth. (giving me more time to position me for kills, more time to deploy) but when you deploy detection things change considerably since my army is not stealthed, i can't position my units for auras to start hitting, nor position my units with low AP in order to have a better position when attacking.
    3. MAGICAL DAMAGE this just laughs in the phase of any incorporeal unit and makes my only source of defense null. People should just be smart enough to see that if its the 3 spirit deployed in the game you gotta start getting detect/magic damage, but they just keep deploying their super effective Juya, allowing my ethereal soldier to stand beside her and deal an aura, and next turn double hitting her.
    How do i play them? Depending on the faction im against, you gotta understand spirits its a DEFENSIVE theme, while being best played at late game. And most kills are made due to my good positioning (Thanks to stealth factor) but the problem is people do not see my screen, so when im starting to stealth most people tend to play in a more defensive way (Giving me an advantage since my deck is a defensive deck, im likely winning in terms of who defends better) most times I stall the game capping my fonts and not rushing the enemy, keeping mid fonts capped (with a haunting spirit in the furthest away possible space) but what do people on the other side of the screen THINK is happening? they think all the stealthed guys are a second away to capping all his fonts, they are afraid of going in to attack because they think im positioned perfect to kill them all in one turn. but the reality if you see my screen is Most units are on the back, defending waiting for the moment i have a good front line, and good ranged surgers to make my attack.

Since i know my weaknesses I try to negate them, here is where the grim wells come, while being stealthed allows me to deploy grim wells in very good locations, mind shackle the most important units, and if he positions too close, essence drain, 1 hit and phase shift for defensive/stealth.

Why this is not op, if anyone when fighting Vs spirits does the 3 weaknesses, spirits have NO CHANCE believe me, there was one time i played against someone with IS, first game I won, the next game i was matched against the same guy, and he asked me for a FQ, i replied by saying my deck was not OP and that magical damage, rushing and detection is all he needs. keep in mind i was ranked legendary at that time, with my main BG for years, and this guy was a rare league if im not mistaken, this was not long ago and i was using this exact deck. what happened? he stomped me, 2 times, using dwarven magisters, talgar, iron fist minister, ivory wing, scarlet wing, rushed me using blink/spells to kill my utterdark spectre (to stop stealths) deployed iron fist agent to backlash tomb and lost. 2 times. just because i told him my weakness.

Another weakness is tortuns, god i hate tortuns and their unstoppable, making them hard to stop the rush with grim wells/mind shackle. While using turtle as a better defense than phase shift.; and they got heavy beaters so most time I loose vs tortuns. but they are not op? i would not mind having a champion worth 68 nora with shrinking blow/pillage/ opportunistic/16 dmg.

Im not calling for a nerf on tortuns, but you got to understand not every deck can be good in EVERY situation, just like mine is weak against tortuns (and pretty much any good player who knows how to fight spirits)

The point of this post is that you @Sokolov are nerfing the most fun BG of FW, one of the remaining BGs that actually needs you to think your position and has some strategy involved (others i can think of are imps, vashals, gems) instead of just using uber efficient stuff and just attack, use spells and win. most BGs are like that and spirits have this interaction that makes them FUN to use while not being top tier (but not a shoeboxed theme) so I hope you read this and don't completely destroy this theme, by nerfing the most important part of it (Its defense/stealth)

I think the incorporeal change should be: 100% magical damage 50% Physhic / Electric and maybe fire. The rest remain Immune and see how this works.

TL;DR: incorporeal is not strong, it has lots of ways to play around and its getting nerfed because people don't know how to play against it, here is a guide how to beat incorporeal, stating my point on why incorporeal should not be nerfed to the ground.

13. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Alright,il give my opinion here with each champ individually:
    Dusk creeper is fine.
    While not a worm champion,or even one with necrosis,the bile zombie will be affected by changes to necrosis.He is 2x in my necrosis bg and with necrosis nerfed he will be far less useful.
    Boneshredder is not an worm,but has necrosis.For a 77 nora champion(with zeal and necrosis upgrades) he is overcosted for his poor stats and his only trick:deploy bone trap.If enemy has an aoe or detection his one trick becomes pointless and he is an overcosted pile of stats.
    Carrion collosus is an overcosted pile of stats and abilities,he needs to have his stats/abilites shaved off and given a more defined role.
    Bloodworm is an overcosted melee beater.I am sure this one is obvious.
    Blinking creeper is an expensive and fragile ranged champion,his petrifiying gaze has lower range and high ap cost which means he needs to get close to use it.His lack of damage and fragility make him a poor option for worms.
    Eye of serkan got decent damage(if you can get surge going) and interesting options(detection and soul vitality ap gen) but he is made of glass and cheapest version is 75 nora.
    Blood fiend is amazing right now,but with nerf to necrosis he will become worse,as he depends a lot on large deployment zone duo to his blood fueled/extertion ap gen.He can also get shut down by distract(worm has no real cleanse or dispel) or any kind of speed debuff(because he got 4 speed making his max ap very low when speed is debuffed).
    Phanatasmal creeper is decent but once incorporeal changes,he will once again be mediocre.He crutches on it hard to do his role.
    Mindthief creeper only way to interact with anyone or anything is to either sit stealthed in a font until he gets detected or use his paralazyis ability,once detected or having used his ability once,he will get often onerounded very quickly,or just ignored,since he cant do much,adaptation can sometimes make his amazing,but that is super super situational.He doesnt offer much for a 60 something nora champion.
    Putrid creeper is runnable and decent but he got poor damage and his tankiness is not that great when compared to tanks which have a similar cost and yet do much more then him(like skeezick general,stitched tyrant,klub..).He is just a expensive tank that can do damage very slowly.He also needs to compete with dusk for globes.
    Rotmaw creeper is a 5 speed melee beater with low damage and no defensive abilities,his only advatange it to use necrosis to get close to enemy very fast and take advantage of assault.
    Carrioling is a joke for 30 nora,compare him to stitchling which costs 39 nora:
    25 more hp
    1 more speed
    6 extra damage
    Multiattack and rabid which is actualy very decent.
    And numerous as well which gives his protection from range.
    Carrioling should probably cost like 5 nora,but if he is gonna cost 30 nora to prevent abuse,atleast give him stats for those 30 nora he is paying for.

14. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Nobody mentioned mind flayer queen. Sad face.

Netherzen likes this.
  15. badgerale

So something like:

Necrosis: when this unit is deployed, and when this unit kills an enemy champion, the shrine deployment zone expands by one space. When this unit dies, or when a champion without race worm or arthropod is deployed from the rune dock, then the shrine deployment zone shrinks by one space. This effect can not reduce the shrine deployment zone to less than three spaces.

Balance-wise, as it stands this is a big nerf to worms, since they tend to lose more champs than they kill in the early and mid-game -- making up for it if they achieve the deployment zone advantage. I think they would need some substantial buffs, but it is do-able. My second issue is that the description is already hella long and this adds yet another clause to it.

An alternative could be to simply take the kill clause away to be:

Necrosis: when this unit is deployed the shrine deployment zone expands by one space. If you deploy a champion without race worm or arthropod then the shrine zone shrinks by one space.

Much much easier to digest and slightly better balance-wise but you lose the counter-play element that others have argued for (and i do appreciate that point of view).

So assuming you go for the former, I would be looking at ways to keep worms cheap but make them more survivable.

Netherzen likes this.
  16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Oh, wait, we going back to prebuff worms? Well, it was fun playing them, I guess, lets hope the expansion makes Meat a real BG then.

Netherzen likes this.
  17. badgerale

Well if you can think of a viable version of necrosis that includes some counter play options then I'm sure sok would love to hear it.

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Elaborate.

19. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Ways for the other player to reduce or negate the bonus that don't depend on you (yourself) building a terrible bg.

Pattn199, JellyBerry and SPiEkY like this.
  20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Then nope, I have no suggestions. Farewell, worms.

JellyBerry and Netherzen like this.