Canada

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SPiEkY, Oct 17, 2018.

1. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

2. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- AKA ... "grandma's medicine"

SPiEkY likes this.
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

SPiEkY likes this.
  4. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I'm so happy I moved to a legal state (Oregon).
    It's such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders to know that I'm not going to get arrested for having some on me.
    Being able to go down to a store to buy it, rather than hoping my dealer has some, is available, and answers their phone.
    Knowing what strain I'm buying rather than "My guy said it was, like, 'White' something, or something with a 'W', I dunno, man. It's weed, you gonna buy it or not?".
    It's incredible. I'm so happy for Canada, and I hope this is what starts the rest of the world down this path.

Alakhami, super71 and Varthas like this.
  5. Thbigchief

- Wow that's an interesting read. So hypothetically you could never have smoked weed and cross into Canada and smoke weed... and if you admit it to when returning into the US you could be denied and lifetime banned.

super71 and SPiEkY like this.
  6. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

life continues to suck for Americans i guess.

I don't use weed, everyone here made it way too big of a deal, and in my province the local government went insane with attempting to police where people can smoke to the point I almost feel bad for everyone involved, Toronto took a better approach.

anyway the details will get worked out over the next few years probably.

super71 likes this.
  7. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

It’s a frigging plant, never heard someone overdose on pot, have heard of many people die from alcohol though, or pharmaceuticals, or cigarettes, but hey the government got their cut so they don’t care. Problem is the government will have a hard time controlling who gets weed and from where, once it becomes legal. It’s all a crazy control/money thing for our government.

“Examples of Schedule II narcotics include: hydromorphone (Dilaudid®), methadone (Dolophine®), meperidine (Demerol®), oxycodone (OxyContin®, Percocet®), and fentanyl (Sublimaze®, Duragesic®). Other Schedule II narcotics include: morphine, opium, codeine, and hydrocodone”

SCHEDULE 1 (CLASS I) DRUGS are illegal because they have high abuse potential, no medical use, and severe safety concerns; for example, narcotics such as Heroin, LSD, and cocaine. Marijuana is also included as a Class 1 drug despite it being legal in some states and it being used as a medicinal drug in some states

Don’t worry guys, fentanyl is apparently less harmful than weed. Good old mj is right up there with heroin and lsd, you can’t make this Bane Shift up. Even though pot is known to have way more positive side affects, than almost every drug up there.

SPiEkY and Varthas like this.
  8. Varthas

Varthas I need me some PIE!

Here in Norway, "Grandma`s or mom`s medicine" is Valium, Coffee, cigarettes and later in the evening Alcohol.

This combo has made my mom sick in so many different ways it is difficult to comprehend, and no easy way back to health either. Yet the doctor writes out these pills with different names.

Although cannabis if legal and possible to buy it legaly, it would have calmed her immediatly down, even today after 15 years of Valium and Alcohol abuse cannabis would have had the potential to help her.

Every time i hear her lit up a cigarette i wish to myself it was a splif instead, it would have raised her quality of life, no doubt about it. But i haven`t even suggested it to her, because it is illegal here, and she goes by the law. And mostly i havent suggested it to her because it is only Bane Shift quality hasjis to get, i am not sure hasjis is the right name to the product because it is mostly biproducts in it to increase profit for the illegal network.

Thbigchief and SPiEkY like this.
  9. Thbigchief

- While I don't feel marijuana is dangerous biologically , as in OD and die on the spot it's effects can lead to some poor choices that could be life threatening (operating a vehicle or going swimming at 4am cuz...it's coooool mannn).

- I don't however like the "it's a plant so it's safe" defense... there are plenty of plants that will drop you dead on the spot that are drug inducing before so.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Yeah, there's tons of plants that can kill you, I never really liked that argument. It makes me think of people that advertise stuff as "All-Natural" and imply that it's healthier or safer or something. I mean, mercury and cyanide are "All-Natural", doesn't mean I want to consume them.

Thbigchief likes this.
  11. Sokolov

This is a simplistic, and incorrect, view of the situation.

To understand why marijuana is a Schedule I substance, you have go to back in time to when it happened in the first place.

Like many policies in the US, it comes from a place of fear, specifically of other people, as well as a desire to legislate morality by the Christian right.

Marijuana has actually been used in medicine for millennia and was even common in the early US:

"Documented evidence of medical cannabis being used in the U.S. did not occur until the late 18th century, when early editions of American medical journals noted that hemp seeds were effective at treating venereal disease, incontinence, and inflamed skin. This was further popularized in the U.S. by the Irish doctor William O’Shaughnessy, who worked as a physician for the British East India Company."​

Source: https://mmjrecs.com/the-history-of-medical-cannabis-in-the-united-states/

However, when Mexican immigrants started entering the US with their "marijuana" and using it recreationally, propaganda begun to be spread about this drug's negative properties (both in the US and internationally).

US policy makers targeted the drug due to 2 major reasons: 1) concern about public safety, and 2) to discourage Mexican migrants who used the substance. Starting from the early 1900s, the US being criminalizing marijuana to the cheers of Christian groups in America.

Many Americans didn't even realize there wasn't a difference between cannabis and marijuana, and the propaganda at the time exploited this fact, spreading fear and anxiety about this new substance described as "addictive" and "destructive."

Remember too, that the US also tried to ban alcohol for similar reasons. However, unlike alcohol, which was a major part of the American experience and culture, prohibition of marijuana was successful because it was something "foreign" and not directly utilized by most Americans in a transparent way (even tho it was in a number of medicines available at the time).

Even today, Christian groups are anti-weed:

"Southern Baptists are speaking against marijuana's legalization for recreational and medical purposes as the next round of decision-making nears.​

"Every state should seek to protect its people from the trafficking of addictive, mind-altering drugs," said Russell Moore, president of the Southern Baptist Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission. "Legalizing drugs leaves neighborhoods and schools vulnerable for exploitation.

"My hope is that these states vote down marijuana legalization and continue to put legal barriers between addiction and the communities it devastates," Moore told Baptist Press in written comments."​

Source: http://www.bpnews.net/47842/marijuana-legalization-on-9-state-ballots

~

Finally, states that have made it legal have found that they can make a lot of money from it relatively easily. So if control/money was the issue, it'd have already been done. The reality is that many in Congress represents areas of the US resistant to legalization and many of them represent states that have voted down ballot initiatives to legalize, such as Arkansas - and the primary reason is "morality." So yes, it is about control, except it is about Christian morality control, rather than government control.

In many cases, such regions also have more voice than they otherwise would in Congress due to the way the EC works. This, along with the fact that the US political system is designed to be resistant to change, results in these types of changes generally taking longer than it might in other developed countries.

Additionally, generally, Americans simply just don't care enough about legalization - and politicians understand this and recognize it is not the reason people vote for them, thus it gets little attention at the national level.

I am one of these people - even if I could vote, it wouldn't be a major issue for me one way or another. There are things I care about far more.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  12. Sokolov

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

SPiEkY and Sokolov like this.
  14. Sokolov

Indeed!

SPiEkY likes this.