Challenge: Win a PvP match with Release Runes only.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sirvile, Apr 13, 2017.

1. sirvile

sirvile The King of Potatoes

Exactly what it says, using only release date runes, try winning a match. Is it possible with how far the game has grown or no?

2. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Easy.

Tweek516 likes this.
  3. sirvile

Really? I figured it was like Yugioh, where 90% percent of the early cards were either too cruddy to keep using...or were banned...

4. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Who is best to use?

5. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Probably either FW, which has essence drain and mobilize, or UD, which has sheoul demon and some other good champs.

6. DiCEM0nEY

Fw release champs weak though, 2X cleric unrest, bile zombies, on my cell phone, but 2X executioner, 2x chop block, tome of hate, lich king, is zombie behemoth release? Hungry dead...

7. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

oh Pox Harbringer was a release rune, thought she did came after. IS release set looks ok, no relics or equipment that are useful though but alot of the spells are still used in meta. renegades, priests of valdac, hmm not so bad champs after all. wish i had 2x pox harbringer though.
    gonna test it a bit in PvE

8. sirvile

Definitely not SL, i don't think they even have enough runes for a full release deck unless you want to take broodlings and the almighty BOIL!!! with you.

9. sirvile

May the force be with you...

10. Pipster

Pipster I need me some PIE!

Chop block, zombie behemoth and hungry dead all not release. Agree that FW would be the best to use though.

11. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

UD FW or IS would be the best for sure.

IS has 3 champions in the meta from release set and 3 spells from the release set as well as some fairly good utility champs and spells and relics. and hell even forge hammer gets ran in some decks

UD has 4 meta spells from the release set and 2 meta champions.

FW has 2 extremely high impact meta spells and 1 champion who is not meta but very well should be given his amazing stats-cost ratio. As well as plenty options for cheap meat

FS has 1 meta spell and then hot garbage from the rest of the expansion.

KF has 2 meta champions and 1 spell which isn't meta but was for a very long time then just stopped being ran for no real reason (vortex)

SL has 5 meta spells and 2 meta champions.

moving onto ST and SL expansions since they werent release set

ST has 4 meta spells and 4 meta champions.

SP has jack Bane Shift since their entire first expansion had about 80% of the runes devoted to moga. (does this make moga the first true theme deck in the game?)

Fentum, sirvile and DiCEM0nEY like this.
  12. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

The issue is that such BGs are quite versatile, but also fairly ineffective in detail, rather than maxing out on a particular theme. In today's game, proper BGs usually do a couple of things really well. That said, UD KF can work well. The basis is here...

2x sheoul demon ( the daddy)
    2x wild elf ( melee, deep wounds)
    2x grundelwulf (melee, deep wounds)
    2x elven Mage (ranged, magic)
    1 of each harb (ranged, Init, cool)
    Avenging angel (divine favour, heal)
    Nectar fairy (heal, cleanse, utility)
    Sprite (cc, utility, alt dam)
    Ranger (melee, Init, durability)
    DE Scout (detect)
    DE Merc (cheap, beset)
    Warrog (melee, anti physical)

2x Grimlic mirror (Sheoul, Harb, Angel for the favour)
    Sac
    Retri
    Demolish
    Shatter
    Devolve
    Carn vines
    Vortex
    Brambles
    Mindstorm

2x Fire Ruby ( two relics and KF prism is poor)

Old school vibe to it. Kinda funky.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  13. DiCEM0nEY

That looks fairly strong tbh

Fentum likes this.
  14. Fentum

Thanks. I'll run it for a while and see how it goes.

15. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

You watch your tongue, boy.

16. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

I tried out a PvP using the FS release runes. I won, but it was against a fairly new player (~80 PvP wins) ranked 200 below me. Definitely possible though.

Also: challenge completed!

Woffleet and Slencer like this.
  17. Fentum

Ok so I played maybe six games now with that deck above and I'm 50/50. One loss was very close. One loss was due to losing time through continual disconnections. I normally run around 70/30, so it's a challenge but not too bad.

What I am finding is that I don't have the 'answers' to some of the stuff that exists now, e.g. The zahrngaver intimidating guy with equips. Multiple arrow eaters. My modern BG can deal with pretty much anything but there are fewer easy answers in the release set.

I find I am playing an old school style too. More like a wargame, with melee up front and ranged in back. My modern BGs tend to focus on a few modules that work really well together to get the win, with other defence and utility modules / individual runes. Much more of a 'targeted assassin seeking favourable match ups' approach.

That said, it's a lot of fun to play this way. Recommended.

Woffleet likes this.
  18. sirvile

Under 80 wins is new?! I've been playing for almost a year and i only have 4!

19. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

if you have only won 4pvp in a year, you must be lazy or really really bad :)
    Anyone below 1000 wins are new.
    and below 10k is still learning the game (yeah iam a slow learner)

20. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Yeah, so many veterans around that I'd agree that anything less than 1000 is "relatively new". I'm still pretty green at 160 wins :)