CIA says Russia influenced US election to help Trump win

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-cyber-russia-idUSKBN13Z02Q?il=0

Well... so that's kind of interesting?

There are a few things about this.

First, does it matter/is it a bad thing? The "influence" was largely providing transparency, albeit only on the DNC, but it still revealed to people what happens behind the scenes - and to some extent this can be considered a good thing.

Second, did it actually change the outcome? It's hard to know this one, but given Clinton's lack of popularity even before many of these leaks, it seems like maybe it would have been slightly closer but still Trump's victory.

Third, what does it mean, if anything, that Russia wants Trump in the WH? It's all speculation here, from them thinking that Trump will be easy to manipulate due to lack of foreign policy experience to simply thinking he'll be more friendly towards them than a Clinton administration.

Fourth, is it true? While I personally don't have a particular reason to distrust the CIA in this, I can understand why some people would be skeptical - and certainly we, as the general population, are never really going to see any actual proof unless it's leaked.

All in all, I don't believe Trump himself did anything wrong here, if he benefited in some way it was not due to anything he did. At the same time, I don't believe it really made much of a difference - people's minds have been largely made up about this election by then.

What is a question is what, if anything, the government should do now, as well as what Congress and Trump's response will be. I'd be impressed if Trump put his ego aside here and said, "Foreign powers shouldn't be interfering with our elections, and we will investigate and find out who is truly responsible" or some such. That'd signal to me that he really is about America first.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    Ohmin, TeaNinja, DarkJello and 3 others like this.
  2. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I don't know how the left feels but most people on the right were horrified by the thought of Hillary winning. There was plenty of negative stuff out there about Trump (a lot of it generated by himself, but not all). Didn't matter. We voted for him as much to keep her out as anything else. So I would expect that the left was equally horrified by Trump if not more so. I highly doubt leaked emails showing that she had little respect for the laws of this country would have kept them home (especially the left). So I don't think it determined the outcome of this election.

That being said, how dare they. we need to up our cyber security game and while we are at it give them a taste of their own medicine. Noone messes with Murika.

Baskitkase likes this.
  3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

is it old news week or something?

Putin is already in power, why do you want to mess with his more left aligned political opponents?

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

That's okay Putin is a great leader.

DarkJello likes this.
  5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'm guessing if you switch left/right and Trump/Clinton and you know how probably most of the left felt about Trump.

Great election

DarkJello likes this.
  6. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]

So precious.

@Sokolov Nice share. Interesting topic for sure. I would be gobsmacked to learn that countries were NOT trying to influence our election. We fiddle around with them too.

Kampel likes this.
  7. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

You know who else liked dogs?

HITLER!

Sorry, I've been reading TVtropes recently.

Geressen and DarkJello like this.
  8. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]

Xirone, Etherielin, Saandro and 3 others like this.
  9. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Seems obvious Russia tried to influence the election I don't see why that's a super big issue people have known about this for months, doesn't social media and people with high positions as well as celebrities also influence our election process? I know its a little different when we are being hacked and the truth of what the DNC really is, is being let out but this is something a lot of people pretty much already knew. My main issue is now that we have found out what will we do? They are running out of money thanks to sanctions but now Donald Trump threatens to end all that.

super71 likes this.
  10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

You didn't read past the first scentence. Lol.

11. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Did someone use Hitler and dog in the same sentence? Hitler dog?!?!?

SireofSuns and DarkJello like this.
  12. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

It's very interesting, I'll read more into it tomorrow sometime.

I wonder if it was really Russian Intelligence that did it, or if it was Russians not associated with their government, because there are plenty of those that would be capable of doing something like this.

About Putin, I'm guessing you guys are being slightly sarcastic about him... Putin is an AMAZING leader, I admire his ability. He also terrifies me because I view him as incredibly evil.
    So... I clap slowly for him, while also inching towards the door.

DarkJello likes this.
  13. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

On a side note, have you guys seen Trump's new dog?

[​IMG]

Say what you will about Trump, this doge is cuter than the Obama's dogs.

Geressen, DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.
  14. Sokolov

Not orange enough.

SireofSuns, Geressen and DarkJello like this.
  15. Sokolov

Since we are posting random pics:

[​IMG]

16. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

Just more Russophobia from the trustworthy MSM. First, why is this a negative? Shouldn't the public be happy to see these emails exposed? I'd understand if they would have tampered with the machines and actually changed the votes. But this? Isn't this actually a good thing? Secondly, they provide nothing concrete. It's all ''alleged'', or ''we have evidence to believe''. There is nothing to suggest the government was involved in any way.

Furthermore Assange himself has already said that Russia was not the source of his emails. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...s-wikileaks-didnt-get-emails-russia/93245454/ But ofc he must be lying. Oh but Assange does ask for information on the murder of a DNC staffer and even offers a reward for it. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...00-reward-over-murder-of-democrat-staffer-se/ Make of this what you will, but it might be this was his source.

And lastly here are Trumps views on this: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ian-hacking-election-ridiculous/#.WE6KvPnhCUk

“These are the same people that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction,” Trump’s transition team said on Saturday, in an extraordinary rebuke of the spy agency.
    “Nobody really knows,” he said. “They have no idea if it’s Russia or China or somebody. It could be somebody sitting in a bed some place. They have no idea.”
    “We’re going to have different people coming in because we have our people, they have their people. And I have great respect for them. But if you read the stories, the various stories, they’re disputing. And certain groups don’t necessarily agree.”

But these people don't care. All that matters is a headline with ''Russia interfered in US affairs''. So that the people who will just glance at it, and not necessarily investigate, will think ''What? How dare they'' (see Ragic response). And when the time comes for another round of sanctions, or god forbid war, the peoples attitude will be ''Eh, they got what was coming to them''. Expect a lot more of such stories, blaming Russia, in the following years.

DarkJello likes this.
  17. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

It's simply another excuse to hold a re-election similar to how the brexit vote is being talked about being redone. The democrats lost and this is the final "Trump card". Hilary lost because she was a dirty politician and lied more than she told the truth and people didn't like that, had the democrats backed literally anyone else that ran we wouldn't be in this mess and Trump probably wouldn't be president.

It's sad when the only real information Americans get anymore is from other countries, by all means leak damn near everything as long as it doesn't endanger anyone, Americans are sick of being lied too.

Freedom of Press is beyond dead, anyone that gets any dirt on the higher ups seems to commit suicide.

DarkJello likes this.
  18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

19. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Disappointed in how trump handled this. Russia hacked the US and he blows it off?

20. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

We don't have any actual evidence yet that they did any hacking, just that there was hacking from a Russian IP address, which I could set up for myself in about 2 minutes, so I don't think it's fair to jump to conclusions just yet.