CIA says Russia influenced US election to help Trump win

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Dec 10, 2016.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Dunno, Trevor Noah just isn't the same as John for me.

Anyhow, I think it's low to do the "you did this to us so now we will do the same disgusting thing that we *****ed about". You're supposed to be better than that. That mentality is the reason American politics is a bipolar shitfest between two parties that take turns doing the same Bane Shift to each other.

It actually infuriates me that this is being talked about more than Trump appointing someone to be in Charge of justice who cares not for civil rights. Or someone in charge of education who has investments in private education and is outspoken about not giving a damn about state education. Even more so because half of his team is refusing to get the damn paper work in order for them to be appointed, but that it looks like they'll be pushed through anyway, because who even cares anymore about the interests of Trumps cabinet, since we all give up on decency and expect more and open corruption.

SireofSuns and Ohmin like this.
  2. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

So... I mean... I dunno if Prague is in a Schengen nation off the top of my head (I think it is? Czech Republic right?) but...

Anyway, I grant that Passports are not the be all, end all, thus including that his whereabouts were known at the specific dates and times the doc mentions.

3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

here you go @Ohmin [​IMG]

also since there are no border checks you could also travel between these countries if you are NOT an EU citizen. ( unless you want to go by boat or airplane I guess)

Ohmin likes this.
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Oh I agree on that part and Trevor does repeatedly say that these are unfounded rumours but you know how comedians are when an open goal presents itself, they got to score. I meant more about the part where now everythng Trump and water related will be tainted by the suggestion of... something a hell of a lot worse than waterboarding...

5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Granted, this is likely my libertarian influence but... I don't really care even if he is into something like that?

It doesn't appeal to me, but then many things which other people find appealing don't appeal to me. (Men for a very broad example.)

As such, I find it easy to not worry about it or think of it, which undoubtedly spares me some rather ugly imagery that others might not be able to shake.

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Well, this isn't about whether you care though and whether or not such things hold leverage over Trump. Which I am thinking no, but that'd be the concern.

7. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

@Sokolov wrote in the wrong thread:

To respond in the correct thread:

While I do personally hold US Intelligence agencies in higher regard than Orbis (and not because of this incident, rather, I'm biased in this regard, and am considering the number of agencies involved as well).

I don't think it raises the legitimacy enough, personally.

Colin Powell had stated that (at the time) all 16 Intel agencies had come together to describe the Iraqi threat of WMDs as being credible and well founded. While I'm sure some changes have taken place since, they have not, thus far, done much to seriously improve their credibility, or to show that they have set aside politicization of Intelligence. At least not to me.

A spokesperson for the Intelligence community said on RT that it would be "irresponsible" to release their evidence, largely in response to pointing out that the published declassified assessment specifically doesn't include any evidence/supporting documentation.

To me, it seems irresponsible to level these accusations (at least publicly) without also publicly showing the evidence as well. It seems politically motivated, as does the leak to NBC about various details by the anonymous source. This does not instill confidence in those agencies or the way the administration has handled it.

Some people might, understandably, ask: "what's the difference between this and Wikileaks?"

Wikileaks is releasing actual evidence. In fact, Wikileaks itself makes very few or no allegations, and any allegations that come out are generally in light of the evidence Wikileaks provided.

I'm not blindly trusting Wikileaks on the matter, I pointed out early that it's certainly possible that some documents were faked or manipulated (though in my view less likely by Wikileaks itself and more likely the source). However they at least provided actual evidence, which since has been verified by multiple different sources (including the FBI and intelligence agencies, for what that's worth) as genuine, and there remains no specific denial or accusation of fraud by the DNC or Podesta.

Of course, this is all my perspective, I completely understand if you or any other feel more trusting towards the Intel community. I only caution that one doesn't take their (understandable) bias and mistrust of Trump and perhaps subconsciously think : "well, he's being critical of them, therefore they must be good." Which I think has happened in some cases with people I know in person (not necessarily anyone on these forums though).

Saandro and SPiEkY like this.
  8. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Of course, but we were discussing comedians at the time and how the concept of it could impact people even in the (seemingly likely) event the documents aren't at all true (in which case leverage would no longer be a concern, even if him being into watersports did turn out to be true the lack of leverage being held by the Russians would make it a non-issue).

(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  9. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

It does to some people that think it could be used as blackmail, so yes, it does matter.

And whether Trump is the kind of person to do that is still technically debatable. If only because we don't have much in the way of credible resources detailing his private behavior in foreign countries. There just isn't much to go on there.

SPiEkY likes this.
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

All signs point to *******.

11. SireofSuns

Did you know that some people thought Ghandi was a terrorist and molested children?

12. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

They must have been confusing him for Mohammad.

darklord48 and SireofSuns like this.
  13. SireofSuns

WOAH. SHOTS FIRED.

Be careful man, you might get another embassy attacked.

darklord48 and SPiEkY like this.
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you are thinking of Nelson Mandela.

darklord48 and SPiEkY like this.
  15. SireofSuns

Nope, same thing happened to Ghandi, which I find hilarious given what can happen in the Civ games.

Ohmin and Geressen like this.
  16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I think the civ thing is an intentional joke and it is hilarious.
    and I believe what you say is true. the difference between Ghandi and Trump would be that nobody needs to tell lies about Trump, only ask you to watch Trump as he behaves as he does and says what he says and lies about what he said and did later.

Ohmin and BurnPyro like this.
  17. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Maybe someone should have told that to the media (at least CNN and Buzzfeed).

SPiEkY and Geressen like this.
  18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

The media is stupid, don't listen to the media, listen to me.

Ohmin likes this.
  19. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

as i heard it, the ghandi-civ thing was because some dev or another tried to set his aggression level to 0, not realizing that 1 was the lowest it would go to. this confused the ai, which then decided to loop back around to the highest possible setting.

and then it was kept because humor

as for allegations about whoever, they've always existed. rightly or wrongly, they likely will continue to do so. and they mostly serve to mask the actions of whoever, which in turn is often self-defeating.

at this point, if you told me that pence was actually behind all the decisionmaking and most of the cabinet posts, i'd believe it maybe more readily than if you told me that trump was. donald is at best a distraction, i think, and it annoys the Bane Shift out of me that people both acknowledge that and then feed his attention-cravings even more

20. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi