Clops racial

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by limone1981, Jul 17, 2014.

1. limone1981

limone1981 I need me some PIE!

I think that our beloved fatty deserve a racial ability to make them runnable and fun to play.

In the beginning I was thinking about colossal, but it's a really strong ability and it will cost a lot. So i came out with this idea: what if the clops racial works as Creep and Crawl?or Zombie Apocalypse? what if instead of giving them a multiattack rank or Swarm, will give to the clops the Mountaineer or Climb ability?

"Expert Climber"
    When 3 or more champions with this ability are deployed, all the champions that share a race with them gain Climb/Mountaineer ability"

It will also fit for the lore: they are strong and they can climb, they live in the mountain region of the Peaks, why are not able to climb or pass by different kind of terrain?

My second idea is to give them a kind of Barbarian Racial allowing to the strongest champ in the field to have the hurl boulder ability:

"Da Strongest one"
    When 3 or more champ with this ability are deployed, the champ with the highest dmg will gain the hurl boulder ability.

Any thought??

WraithxxV likes this.
  2. SavageFang

SavageFang Well-Known Member

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. In the land of the one-eyed, the man with the biggest stick is king."

Land of the one-eyed: if 4 or more cyclops are deployed, any cyclops equipped with a mammoth club gains regal presence and all cyclops gain mountaineer

...lol no idea, just spitballing

3. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

If they gain such a racial it will be a direct nerf to Alpine Cyclops though, wouldn't it?
    He just straight up gives mountaineer for existing, but they'd probably remove that, and then he'd have little to no use left.

4. limone1981

The Alpine could get an improve range that fits his :I'm from the mountain, i can climb and I can help you aim to the enemies":p

5. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

That would be amazing. Tactician alone doesn't give the fatties the ability to see past the other fatties.

6. Hekwit

Hekwit Devotee of the Blood Owl

Does clops really needs a racial ?
    Cheap cost of all units. Tribal Hutt to boost tanks, alpine = global mountaineer, wardrummer = vitalize (+1 spd for slow clops)

Its fine

gillo likes this.
  7. limone1981

how can you say that the clops are fine? As you say you need 3 runes to make it runnable, 2 champs and 1 relic, until that 3 runes are concealed what you do? you make your champ sit there while the 6/7 sometimes 8 spd champs rush your own fonts that maybe you can't reach properly 'cos they are 2x2 and slow, or maybe your opponent run etheral champ (and clops have just 2 rng magic champ and 1 has 5 spd) and you can't do nothing.
    Also what is fine with tribal hut? physical beater? with all the resistance physical 3??

while other themes had their crucial abilities splashed on more champ, the clops still rely on 2 single champions to be playable, a racial could change it. And correct me if I'm wrong but the cyclpos are one with maybe one another race, the only one without a racial ,signature, ability.

SireofSuns likes this.
  8. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Skeletons and Trees have no signature ability, just a racial identity of "use Boost." Same goes for Beasts, but they are more of a filler race that is sometimes expanded on.
    Draksar no longer have a racial ability, and Zombies have lost a lot of their racials (Zombie Apocalypse), too (though I am not qualified to talk about new zombies, since I barely have any).

Perhaps Cyclops are the "Humans" of the Peaks? Except, you know, 2x2.
    Humans, Elves, and Jakei don't have any actual racial abilities, since they are the "normals."

9. SavageFang

True, they don't need a racial, but they do need better synergy to be runable as a theme competitively due to their size and speed disadvantage. Right now they are like tortuns, but too fat to fit in the shell.

10. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Always been one of my favorite flavor texts.

Sirius and Woffleet like this.
  11. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

People keep saying the Cyclops are fine. But... Not really. As it has been said, you NEED certain runes (a limiter, which is bad) in play to compete. Also, let us remember that not everyone in this game has so much money/time on their hands that they can get their hands on every rune, which means that some people plainly cannot play certain themes because they don't have the money/time.

The better synergy within themes, across ALL their runes, means that more people can/will play them. I don't want to play my beloved Clops right now because I would ashamed to see them get squashed. That's how bad they are right now. Sure, they're strong, but they aren't nearly as capable as others. A racial would be the easiest and fastest way to give them synergy, keep/increase flavor, and make them more playable. While a racial might be the best way to do it, it would be the best solution for now.

Since so many people have been asking for a Clops racial, don't you think that they might be right?

12. gillo

gillo I need me some PIE!

Cyclops are actually one of the stronger themes right now... They DO have synergy... They all work well together.

13. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Always liked that Cyclops have good synergy without relying on a racial though. D: (Their racial was always kinda that they are 2x2 units and had synergies revolving around that.)

14. gillo

gillo I need me some PIE!

Racial abilities cap design space, so I'm against it.

15. SavageFang

They had synergy, right up until they lost enough range to be able to hit around each other (via loss of improve range and grant tele on warwizard, when combined with Klub's tactician, along with surprise extended reach).

It is just like the the Lonx Chieftain.... too many theme enablers on one unit (a LEG). or lack thereof post revamp. The theme needs these abilities, just need to put them on other champs rather than all on one hard to get rune.

What if Alpine got the increase range? that would make sense yes?

SireofSuns likes this.
  16. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

I think they don't need to get a racial back, they just need to get improve range or a similar buff back to make up for their fattyness. Improve Range + Tactician + extended reach made some awesome plays, but you can't do that anymore. I think a lot of the cyclops need to get an efficiency hit, because plenty of them (including Klub) are undercosted. once that happens we can talk about what abilities can be given to buff them to more of a theme. You don't need a "racial" to be a theme, but with what the cyclops lost, the abilities that tied them together as a theme, nit kind of ruined their identity and they need something like that back.

soulmilk and SavageFang like this.
  17. Hekwit

Hekwit Devotee of the Blood Owl

also tribal hutt is super value now... we need time to get power [deploy key champs] but once we do this.. cyclops will smash everything on their way.

Woffleet likes this.
  18. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

I was thinking of giving an existing clops (one that isn't used) an on deploy ability that grants +1 range globally (or within a large AOE) for a duration (maybe 4 turns?). If they don't give us improve range back this at least is a pseudo way to get the same type of power turns in line that use to make clops so fun to play

19. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Ahem. Agreed. HOWEVER, a racial or something similar, is just a simple way for now to help give a needed boost. The Clops really need more range (as stated by others), more alt damage, more utility champs (or just spread the utility abilities they have across more of their champs so there is more room for creativity), and more mobility (their biggest struggle).
    A racial is a quick fix, but by no means a permanent one. Though, would a minor racial (like Amphibious, but maybe something like Climb for Clops) REALLY hurt creativity? Reeaaallllllly?

20. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Another problem with current Clops: one of the nice alt damage options, Shaman, punishes me for using Havoc's Touch to activate Battlefiend.