Clops racial

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by limone1981, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

decks? please?

2. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

Cyclops As a theme:

Currently I think the Sibling based play from tribal hut is a step in the right direction. To make a full theme that covers Cyclops weakness and strengths I propose the following.

A hut that grants sibling for every single Cyclops of a certain rarity, There would be 5 of these huts with nora cost increasing as they become rarer

a common hut for common cyclops
    a uncommon hut for uncommon cyclops
    etc.

Spreading Blood bond between the clops,
    This provides clops with a much needed speed boost

Adding Bulwark Cyclops to the game
    Clops are cheap and This ability will greatly help keep a main clops alive

Removing Pathfinding and replacing it with
    "Expert Climber"
    When 3 or more champions with this ability are deployed, all the champions that share a race with them gain Climb/Mountaineer ability"

limone1981 made "expert climber"

3. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Yes. We have been asking to have his stupid nore ability removed as long as he has been around. I had hoped the Revamp would remove it but... No such luck.

4. Bonice90

Bonice90 I need me some PIE!

Run cyclops mauler, theyre not slow, 6 base speed plus 2 from berserker makes them good font contesters that also hit very hard for a first turn deploy, for ethereal champs you have cyclops chieftain´s magic bomb and cyclops primal magical base attack (had to drop hauler from bg cause of the ethereal champs vaporize etc. and chief and warwizard weren´t enough), from the clops mentioned in the tribal hut i only use mauler for beating and drudge for tankyness cheap meat, why?, run tribal war your mauler will have sibling and your enemies not.

5. MadLotar

MadLotar The King of Potatoes

Cyclops definitely needs an improved racial theme. The issue that cyclops have always had is mobility and with the removal of Grant: Teleport from cyclops warwizard, cyclops have to lumber along, waiting for alpine cyclops to show up or for cyclops wardrummer to give them a speed boost. The problem here is that two runes are determining the playability of an entire theme.
    Another ability that cyclops lack are healing. Given the abundant shamans, why are cyclops players completely reliant on Staff of the Solstice? On that note, is Nublin's Pie Surprised still broken?

On the other hand, certain champs do show promise. I am referring specifically to:

Cyclops Nemesis
    Cyclops Primal
    Cyclops Runt

Nemesis got an excellent buff with the options of getting, Hunter: Protectorate and Resist Phys: 3. He becomes a pretty beefy meat stick as long as you have a war drummer and maybe a warwizard nearby to cast aclarity.

Primal is another solid cyclops. He was pretty good before but now he has, Surge: behemoth.

When the revamp came around, I had to take apart my initial cyclops bg since it was so reliant on ichor. I included him since he has a ranged root ability and surge. I had considered changing out "pin down" for "accrue", since mine are level 1 but pin down is growing on me.

I also notice a couple of you fellow cyclops players mentioning Tribal Hut. Last I recall it was a gimmick relic for use with tribal war and cyclops maulers. Most of the other cyclops that benefit are still pretty unplayable, except maybe Drudge Cyclops. I think it would help the theme along if they made tribal hut more useful by allowing it to grant some of the global abilities that cyclops lack, like range, speed, or even healing.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    SireofSuns likes this.
  6. MadLotar

MadLotar The King of Potatoes

The only time I ever really had a problem with cyclop shaman's corrupted nora was during pre-revamp ichor. Cyclops ritualist had, ichor: nora miner, while cyclops shaman had a damage boosting ichor ability. It was very annoying since booth of those champs were strong ranged champs with a variety of abilities. Now that ichor is no more, I don't really see a problem, battlefield/havok's touch is pretty much a gimmick.

Edit: now that I think about it, corrupted nora should probably be moved off of base and into a upgrade slot. Maybe switch it with storm acolyte.

7. SireofSuns

This is true.

And the second part is even more true. ;)

8. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Side note , Cyclops are currently op , if you didn't notice , you are playing them wrong

Hekwit likes this.
  9. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Dunderstrug
    When another owned unit with this ability is deployed from the Runedock, this unit gains Massive Leap 2 for 5 turns, losing it upon activation. This ability is removed after triggering.​

So, basically, every Clops gets Massive Leap to use one time, but only for a 3-round window shortly after they themselves are deployed (in a typical setup, where you are deploying one clops every round or so, early on).

This has two benefits to cyclopes: 1) it mitigates maps where positioning is crazy-frustrating for slow, 2x2 units. 2) it provides an initial threat that goes away a few rounds later. This makes the Clops deployment zone a dangerous place to approach, which echoes the heavily communal, aggressively territorial flavor of Clops. Obviously, against flying themes, the ability becomes more about Mobility, as a one-time-use pseudo-Leap.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  10. SireofSuns

Care to point out there op'ness? I know they are good, I just feel that the way they are good is too restricting. Racials give some freedom of what you choose in a theme. For example (I love this example, I use it a lot), the Zombies lost a lot of the freedom and modifiable-niceness they had when some champs lost Race: Zombie and most lost ZA (at least not in base).
    Clops are good sure, but only if you run X, Y, and Z. Oh boy, that sounds so much fun.
    What is the point of building a deck if it only works if I build it one way?

11. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

You can't give varietion to a theme before you nerf its main power.... nerf the main op runes....then you can change other things to be playable in different stules...... if you give them more tools , while still being op....it will be completely insane.

SireofSuns likes this.
  12. SireofSuns

Lunacy! Who one earth would listen to logic and reasoning!? FOOLS, I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL!
    Oh wait, did I say that out loud?