Complete Beginner

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by KillThemWithLove, Aug 10, 2016.

1. KillThemWithLove

KillThemWithLove New Member

Alright, so I'm a complete beginner to this game, and I've read a couple guides on the forums, and I'm getting the hang of the game by playing campaign missions. However, I was wondering if there's anybody out there who's fairly experienced that could add me up, and play some games with me so I see how actual players play, as well as just give me tips and advice.

A little about myself, I'm 22, have had experience with MTG, Warhammer fantasy, and D&D, among other games. I'm really enjoying Savage Tundra so far, and the Underdepths minotaurs. I do plan on buying some packs in the future, just don't have the money to do so.

newsbuff and IMAGIRL like this.
  2. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

Hey! I'd suggest joining a guild, preferably a new player guilkd, as soon as you can. Guilds don't have many people on these days (though they may once the PS4 version is released), but it'll make things a little easier as then you'll get people able to answer your questions more often without having to ask on the forums. (And I'd be careful of global chat, people in there can be nice, but can also be bad ;) ).
    There are two new player guilds, Noob World Order and Pox Academy. I'm biased to the first because I'm in that one... : P
    Atm theres not much else I can do. I can play with you, of course, but the problem is sort of that I think of myself as one of if not the worst player in the game (that plays regularly), so I don't think I'd be the best example. Better then the AI (*never* use the AI of this game, or frankly any pvp game, to train yourself to become better), but probably the worst option otherwise.
    Also, watch as many videos as you can. The videos subforum has threads for most of the people who post videos/stream. ATM @SPiEkY is the only one I know of who's been comentating over new players (like me) games to help point out they're faults, however from what I understand his workload is somewhat highatm in and out of pox nora so it might be a while before he can do a game for you.

One tip I can give, though, is to be extremely cautious when claiming anything is OP or UP (under powered). Course, if your one of the people who would do this problematically me telling you this likely wouldn't change anything, but I figured I'd point it out. Look for every other option to solve a problem opponent/faction/theme/champ etcetera before claiming it needs a nerf.

I'd say if the effort isn't to much trouble, record your games yourself. This will allow you to look over them again and find any mistakes. Even better would be posting said recordings to youtube and uploading them here so others can help point out your issues if they want. Although, not many- not even me- have enough dedication to actually do all of this section of my suggestions, so don't feel bad if you don't. Just realize its a really good option.

Thats about all I can give atm, in part because I'm tired and worn out from the day XP. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Fentum and SPiEkY like this.
  3. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Welcome to Poxnora :)

As a gift for liking Savege Tundra the most, I will give you any Exotic you want from ST. Name it and have it (Uhmm please don't say Lonx Wanderer)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    SPiEkY and DrakeArron like this.
  4. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Welcome to the game, want some ST dupes?

5. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

6. KillThemWithLove

Hey thanks for the replies guys!

@DrakeArron I'll look into joining up with guild! I've been watching videos here and there, in between actually playing haha. On the "claiming anything is OP" note, I'm coming from 2000 hours in Dota 2 (yeah yeah I'm a moba pleb) where I've learned that theres always a counter to something, so I hate to scream OP unless it blatantly is.

@Goyo @potatonuts I'll gladly take you guys up on that offer, add me up, name is same as on here.

@IMAGIRL Thats one post that I have read and been practicing those rules in my solo games. I'll look for that other post!

Any of you have advice on which of the free decks would be good for the daily skirmish? Tried it and those spiders are brutal!

DrakeArron likes this.
  7. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Add you where? You got to name a rune so I make up a trade you can bid in.

8. KillThemWithLove

Ooohhhh okay, I'm still completely lost when it comes to everything else. Uhhhh I dont even know what ST deck I wanna build. I'm thinking yetis, is that any good?

9. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Here are some common and uncommon yetis and related equips, relics and spells. Not enough to make a BG but hopefully they can be of use.

https://www.poxnora.com/trader/viewtrade.do?id=3842895

Just bid a bronze token if you have one, otherwise one common rune you don't want.

10. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Capitulator likes this.
  11. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

What's your ingame name?

12. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Welcome to the game. I'm also available to donate some runes that you need to get you started, just let me know what you want.

You can observe ranked games - this is the best way to start learning the game and is fun. Try doing that.

13. KillThemWithLove

Wow, thank you for the generosity guys! It's been awhile since I've seen a community that helps out newcomers.

@Goyo @Capitulator I forgot my account is still new, and I can't trade yet, but I should be able to tomorrow, so I'll place a bid on those then. Also, my ingame name is the same, KillThemWithLove.

@newsbuff I'll definitely check out some ranked games. I'm gonna start with a yeti deck, so if you have anything that fits into that, I'd gladly accept.

Where does one find popular decklists? Would that be poxbase?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  14. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

https://www.poxnora.com/trader/viewtrade.do?id=3842952

15. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

This is a great example of a top community. Nicely done ST chaps.

16. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

17. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

18. KillThemWithLove

Wow. I never expected charity runes guys, thank you so much. I'll place some bids down as soon as I can. I'm still looking for someone who could sacrifice a little time of their day here and there to play a game or two with me and tell me mistakes I have made and why doing x over y would be better. Much appreciated support though! You people rock.