Current power ranking?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edmek55555, Feb 9, 2017.

1. edmek55555

edmek55555 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Obviously everything is definitely playable right now, however, some races are clearly more powerful than others. Since there have been so many threads about this lately, what is your power ranking? Id say:

1. IS
    2. ST
    3. FS/KF
    4. UD/SL
    5. FW
    6. SP

2. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

I think its impossible to classify it right now because it changes too much basing on what you play inside the faction. Also this doesnt count split bgs.

3. edmek55555

It definitely differs based on what someone is running but its more or less a potential thing. IS has several great options that can all be top tier while sp is barely run because all of their bgs are seen as barely viable

4. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

well sp is one of the best factions to split currently, aside from that it's hard to say since the player count on FF SP is incredibly low. for example voils might be great but without a FF player willing to try them we'll never know.

to the original point, ranking factions are like ranking the colors of mtg, which is better in mtg red or green? i mean you cannot answer that in any useful way without referencing a specific deck made with those colors and the same is largely true of pox.

also in pox the skill of the player goes a large way towards how good a deck performs, it's similar in nature to chess in that way.

Kampel likes this.
  5. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

SL/ST
    FS/SP
    UD/KF/FW
    IS

This is in a very general sense, though. It's hard to consider any of those bottom-four underpowered, but none of them have 35n AoEs.

Tweek516 and Dolcebrodude like this.
  6. calisk

what's st's 35n aoe?

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

White>Black in chess.

19madfox95 likes this.
  8. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

KF has brambles! FW has.. hungry dead!

Etherielin likes this.
  9. davre

That dig was specifically at SL.
    ST is just a whole lot of efficiency.

10. edmek55555

I definitely disagree with the chess arguments. In chess every player uses exactly the same pieces. In pox that isn't the case and in its current state, some factions definitely have stronger pieces than others. Though I agree every faction is better in certain areas than others, there are definitely some that are better overall currently

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  11. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

But only one colour goes first in chess. And that's why White is broken.

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  12. calisk

has yet to be proven, though I can agree with your premise that first turn advantage means something.

13. calisk

you miss the point at least to my comparison.

I'm not saying pox is like chess in all ways, just that pox is a game of skill in the same way that chess is, it's about understanding the board state, thinking ahead, knowing all the options your opponent has and more. A game of pox can be lost from the very first deploy, it can be lost when you spent 1 more ap then you needed to, or moved 1 tile to close and skill is a large factor in what makes good decks great.

the factions themselves though if you were rate them solely on the content within them is a practice in futility, if you rate the st faction higher then ud, then who wins between ff st monks and ud spiders? what about flyers vs minotaurs? or meta vs deep elves?

the decks are more relevant to figuring out where things fit then the factions on their own.

14. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

I mean we just got changes however before the patch mine would look like:
    SL/ST
    SP/KF illusions (not really the general KF)
    FS
    -
    IS
    -
    -
    -
    UD/FW/actual KF

Essentially what davre's said, though I'm not sure what his reason for IS being on the bottom is, bastion is a faction of his own against a lot of BGs.

15. davre

IS is hard to assess since I haven't seen much of it (played well) outside of Markoth and some splits. Dwarves are probably still good but I haven't seen a dwarf deck since the last patch. IS definitely has some high end stuff like Bastion but their list of scary runes that will wreck my Bane Shift and steal my fonts is shorter than most others. That said, the factions as a whole are fairly even with just a handful of powerful mechanics as the difference between the top and bottom.

16. edmek55555

Im surprised you have Sp so high. I've never seen anyone play sp yet. But thanks for your input. Its nice to see peoples opinion on the topic. Im also surprised to see IS in the middle. Bastion in himself, angel decks, and paladin decks are killer right now

17. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

SP (mainly due to the faction bonus) is very efficient and whenever one of its themes is viable it will almost always be near the top of competive play.

Pox is kind of odd in the competitive sense. With most games like MtG or Hearthstone, etc. you see the top ranked players moving around and playing whatever is considered the strongest or something they believe counters the meta. With Pox there are a lot of top players that only identify with a single faction. They play that faction regardless of its competive strength and given the size of Pox every faction has viable themes.

This makes it very difficult to judge the strength of a faction by how often its played. SP has shown significant growth in popularity the past few years mainly thanks to Ballballer and a few others but it is still relatively small in playerbase. Factions like IS, UD and FW have many recognizable players and themes that generally attract new players (Demons, Undead, Paladins) so their playerbases stay strong even when they may not be a top faction.

19madfox95, Kampel and Tweek516 like this.
  18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

UD and FW both have a 35 or cheaper spell that can deal damage in AE.

19. davre

Yeah I'm taking full advantage for some killer powerturns.

Save up 120n and then wham: grabby hands, grabby hands, desecration, desecration for a pretty slick board clear.

20. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

IS loves grabby hands.

19madfox95 likes this.