Dark blue OR & gun control

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

While I agree that the media handles this stuff badly I thought it was people that have access to guns going on a shooting spree. shows what I know.

Ohmin and DarkJello like this.
  2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

The genie is already out of the bottle. There are so many guns out already in the US that reducing their numbers isn't viable anymore. What the GOP wants is the gun equivalent of M.A.D. (mutually assured distruction) in order to prevent gun crime. Given the number of mass shootings that have occurred in gun free zones compared to places guns are welcome, I believe their plan is working.

I believe there are four components that would fix gun violence in the US. First, universal background checks. I have a 9mm pistol that I bought at a gun show. The only thing I was required to provide was a permit saying I was allowed to buy a pistol. The police did an initial background check on me to issue the permit, but there were no further checks when I purchased. The permit in Minnesota is good for one year. Psych evaluations should be a part of the background check. Second, the punishment for violent crime needs to be worse than the crime committed. Much of the gun violence is committed by people that aren't afraid of dying since they don't have much to lose. If the punishment were more harsh, they perhaps they would give it more consideration before shooting someone. Third, eliminate gun free zones. Allow conceal carry permits to apply nation wide, but make the requirements more strict. Regular psych evaluations, marksmanship tests, and defense classes. Fourth, when someone commits a violent crime, their name is kept out of the media. Don't give them their fifteen minutes of fame. Only pay attention to the victims, not the perpetrator.

PurpleTop, Anima26, Ohmin and 3 others like this.
  3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Something someone could possibly watch

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Torture would be worse than death. The M.A.D. idea is more so shootings end more quickly with less loss of life. Eliminating the gun free zones will probably move where some of the shootings happen. If even one school shooting is instead a shooting somewhere else, I believe it is worth it.

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

A couple random thoughts to spur the conversation onwards.
    #1. In China (a country with some of the strictest civilian gun control laws), mass Knife attacks (often on schools) are almost as frequent as school shootings in the US. In 2012 there were only 2 more school related shooting deaths in the US than chinese school related stabbing victims, if you remove the Sandy Hook deaths that took place just before the end of the year the stabbing deaths outnumber the shooting deaths by 24. There are less stabbings per year but usually kill and wound more people in a single event than a shooting. Perhaps this is because knives are silent and it takes longer before people respond. It can be assumed that evil people will do evil things but the question is why?

#2. The media. After these events the media puts the perpetrator in the spotlight and for the next month gets massive coverage about how many people they killed and everyone that gets interviewed talks about how he seemed like such a nice guy or perhaps just a bit of an oddball. Instead of remembering the lives and names of the victims, the shooter is the one that gets the attention and what do other crazies see when they watch the news? They see a way that they too can get the attention they crave.

6. Boozha

Uh ...

Per capita stats maybe? Total numbers are as useless as it gets. Per capita it drops down to a quarter of the US stats. Furthermore, I wouldn't know of mass stabbings being more lethal than mass shootings, far from it, for all I know mass stabbings are very ineffective at killing people.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Some of those knife attacks are, however, acts of coordinated terrorism. The political climate in China, particularly in relation to Tibet, prompts a larger number of in-state terrorism groups. That's true for the major knife attack in 2014, for instance.

And, as Boozha said, per capita numbers -- China has about 4x the population of the US, so if it's getting an equivalent total number of attacks, then that's only 25% of the attacks in the US.

Bellagion and BurnPyro like this.
  8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I only accounted for school stabbings/shootings. The vast majority of the stabbings involving multiple perpetrators took place in public environments such as train stations or public gathering places.

It should also be noted that the media seems to be taking a different approach to the OR shooting. The only time I have seen the shooters name mentioned was to acknowledge that he had been identified.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I get your intent. And you were looking at 2010-2012, but I brought up something in 2014. Under the heading "mass Knife attacks (often at schools)" also fall any other knife attacks, though, so it's worth bringing up the point even if it's tangentially related.

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

How many times more people live in Chine compared to the US though?

USA: 318.9 million (2014)
    China: 1.357 billion (2013)

This is what google gave me. That's little over four times more, so yeah... I don't know the exact numbers of those victims, but 24 more doesn't seem out of proportion at all with this in mind.

edit fml boozha and kalasle TT

11. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

How do you propose to make all the guns disappear?

The shooter in this instance singled out Christians, and shot them in the head if possible. Peeps that were not Christian or did not answer, were shot in the legs.

Mass shooters usually have/had a lot of mental problems. Thus family and friends are best positioned to stop things from escalating.

Gun owners save the lives of innocent human beings all the time. Disarming the law abiding will cause more harm than good. Violence is a cultural problem. Improve the culture.

12. Boozha

The whole "targeted Christians" thing was not true, afaik. But whatever.

And how to get rid of guns? Mandatory buyback, then criminalizing ownership. That's how Great Britain did it with Handguns, and they haven't had a school shooting since.

13. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Why would the survivors lie about who the perp targeted?

How many school shootings did GB have in the decades before the buyback? How do you propose circumventing the 2nd Amendment?

Murica and GB have different cultures. I wish we were much less violent, but that is not the reality. Nutjobs would just use long guns, instead of pistols.

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_buyback_program

http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1736501,00.html

Mass shootings gone down, gun related incidents same trend as before (in australia); tldr

15. Boozha

Not really lying, more like misunderstanding the situation. But that's an irrelevant topic anyway.

The handgun bans were a reaction to school shootings such as the Dunblane Shooting.

The 2nd amendment could be, you know, amended. The constitution was never intended to be set in stone anyway.

Long guns are far less concealable than handguns. Most crime is commited with handguns. Banning them would at least be a good start. As for culture, either you change it or you accept rampant murder of innocent people as part of your culture.

16. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Jesus. That's unbelievably ****ed up and would probably just encourage would-be shooters to die in firefights with the police rather than potentially incur the punishment of torture. Torture has zero circumstances in which it should be used.

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I think gun controll in the US will help mexico. most guns they use there came from the US.

also a lot of you US peeps need to accept that humans are the same everywhere so stop it with the "merica is too diffirent"

also knives are hard to use for killing wich is why there's always these "person murdered other person by stabbing 63 + times" things going around. also stabbing has significantly lower range than projectile fired at sonic speeds.

18. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Technically, yes, the 2nd Amendment could be modified, but practically speaking it couldn't happen right now. The supermajority necessary in Congress would fail, and even if it passed a large enough portion of the states would refuse to ratify.

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

well Firk em; my post about comedy, second vid.

20. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

This is wrong on two levels. The first level is the assumption that there are relatively low confrontations in the U.S.; that is not the case.
    The second level on which your reply is wrong is the assumption that a prevented confrontation is always better than a not-prevented confrontation; that is not the case either.
    And mass shootings such as the Oregon shooting are obviously not covered by my statement.