Death Note live action remake has 29% on Rotten Tomatoes currently

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JazzMan1221, Aug 25, 2017.

1. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/death_note_2017

I mean, I think we all saw this coming right? Critics were slightly more forgiving, but even then the ratings are rarely above 50%. I'm planning on watching it tonight simply to see Willem Dafoe's performance as Ryuk, which is apparently top notch and the best thing about the movie by far (again, as expected).

A lot of what I'm reading writes it off as just another failed Americanized adaptation of a popular anime, one that leaves fans of the original series in disgust while only mildly entertaining those who haven't seen the original. I'll warily reserve judgement, as I haven't actually seen it yet, but I'm planning on watching it tonight so I'll update this thread later with my own short review.

Anyone else bothered to watch it? Looking for opinions from both anime fans and non-anime fans if possible.

2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

started watching it, it's very different from the source material on top of being heavily americanized. dafoe is fun so far, but it's not something i'd recommend. feels like teen drama with a death note (which is, believe it or not, slightly different from original death note)

3. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Yagami backwards is a imagaY.

Geressen and BurnPyro like this.
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

he just doesn't just take a potato chip and eat it, he eats a whole bag with a liter of coke and a hamburger?

Alakhami likes this.
  5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

light goes from stereotypical high-powered japanese smartboi to stereotypical intelligent-but-misunderstood american school shooter

there's more, but really the larger problem with it is just how much they took out. looking at it through the lens of the source material will leave you disappointed, but so will just looking at it. it's not a particularly interesting story, the characters are all rushed, and i couldn't find it in me to give a Firk about the ending

Geressen likes this.
  6. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

I wasn't expecting much with what DB Evolution and Avatar's amounted to so thanks for letting me know this one was also garbage.

7. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I was gonna write an actual review, but then I realized all of my feelings about the movie have already been summed up in one sentence by every single anime fan with a YouTube account: THEY DIDN'T ADD THE Firking POTATO CHIP SCENE.

Geressen and MEATMAN like this.
  8. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I never watched the anime... So my perspective might be valuable as a non-weeb. It was meh...