Design a Good high cost champion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woffleet, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

bro what is wrong with you. Why can't you seem to understand constructive criticism? If you don't like my design why don't you suggest a new one or actually provide and argument to its flaws .

2. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

You've completely ignored what I said earlier. You created a champ that is immune to one of the most common damage types, made it resistant to every other damage type while damaging the attackers using those damage types and made it immune to super champ counters. There is no weak point to this champ other than champs that either immune to the own alternate damage type or that eat their own alternate damage type which are rare to begin with and not available to all factions at any rate. It doesn't matter if this champ is ranged or melee. It has no weaknesses at all and would only be fun for the person eating face while using it. If it's going to be as powerful as you're making it you need to give it a sizeable drawback. Devour Life isn't a drawback since it's useful in the right type of bg. The damage type is very easily ampable in the two factions you've put it in making it even worse.

tl;dr - You've put together a pile of stats and defensive abilities that aren't fun.

Woffleet likes this.
  3. ChiaoLung

If you're serious about making this viable it either has to be a champ that builds up in some manner (charges, has to have certain relics/champions on the field to have access to certain abilities, opponent has to have a certain number of champs, etc.), it has to have some pretty major drawbacks (stationary, pariah, wandering, liability, etc.), or it needs a combination of these things.

4. Woffleet

I didn't ignore your post. I read it and tried to incorporate and ability which would give this champ some weaknesses. By Adding devour life I tried to make this rune have some counter-play. This rune is practically and immortal monster which the opponent has to deal with. As a drawback its owner must constantly sacrifice their own champions. I thought this would solve the problem but you are right in FW devour life isn't really a drawback so the design is still flawed.

I really appreciate your feedback. Sorry If I came off the wrong way.

5. ChiaoLung

Taking the idea that you've started with this is the sort of thing that might be workable with a lot of extra effort. As it is this version is still probably too strong. However, there's enough drawbacks to it that the player has to build a bg around it and it allows for it be countered with the right abilities or strategies.

Soulchained Firk
    FW/FS
    Nora cost 130.
    Race: Firk, Spirit

size 2x2
    ATK: 15
    DEF: 0
    RNG:1-2
    HP: 60

Leech Vitality
    Incorporeal
    Lich Bound - At the beginning of your enemy's turns, if there are no other friendly Liches in play, this unit is Possessed by your enemy until end of turn.
    Swamp Mirror - If another friendly Firk is in play this Champion has Mirrored
    Warding
    Impenetrable
    ATK psychic
    Phylactery Sustained - Every 4th turn this champion destroys a phylactery owned by the owner of this champ. If no phylactery is available the owner's shrine/avatar loses 15 hp.

SPiEkY and Woffleet like this.
  6. Woffleet

I like the idea but i'm trying to make champions without creating new abilities. Can you do a remake?

7. ChiaoLung

I don't think you'd be able to make a high cost champ without new abilities. Especially since the limit on abilities is now 8. With the exception of the Phylactery sustained though, it's just a variation on abilities that are already in play (Demon-elf Bound/Barbarian-Bound and Aegis.)

8. Woffleet

true. Ok then so this champs main drawback is that ability Phylactery Sustained. It constantly forces the player to provide Phylactery relics or trigger an eventual shrine death. I like the idea because this is a serious drawback which requires the player to constantly invest in the champion to make it work and hurts the original synergy of the relic to reanimate their other champs so it changes the play style of the BG. Definitely the right type of drawback you explained. I don't know if the other drawbacks are necessary because this alone drastically changes the BG's play style and hurts the deck significantly.

9. ChiaoLung

You could always remove Lich Bound and replace it with a different ability. The reliance on phylacteries pretty much ensures they have to be playing liches anyway. As far as Swamp Mirror it just enhances what's already there from Incorporeal. I'd think that drawback necessary to ensure that the champ is played in a split and not just splashed into a lich bg (although it would still be strong enough to be put into a lich bg.)