Devs: Your Changes are Killing your Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zer0sum, Jun 28, 2015.

1. zer0sum

zer0sum The King of Potatoes

I recently came back to Pox after not playing for about 2 years. In the short few months since my return, I have noticed my collection undergo radical changes. I am using your rune forge to break down old runes and make new ones, and I find myself feeling a bit raw about having cashed in a bunch of runes for runes that I wanted, only to find the runes that I forged to be changed dramatically within a few weeks.

For example, Lich King had Surge: Skeleton, making it an important part of a Skeleton group. Now it doesn't, and it has harmed my skeleton theme. Then Boost was remade into something that is basically useless, again harming my skeleton theme. And so as I look over this skeleton collection, and a few others that I put together, I'm regretting having cashed in runes for these and I'm DEFINITELY not going to buy new ones.

I was thinking that I might buy some of the new stuff, but honestly I don't know why anyone would want to put effort into acquiring new runes when you've shown such an interest in post-release alterations. Anyway, that's why you aren't getting sales from me. If you would commit to leaving things be then I'd be happy to collect runes again, but this is just over the top and I think it's bad for your business.

TheBulwark likes this.
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Do you think it's an issue that they changed skeletons, or do you think they are just making too many changes in general?

jeeperz2 likes this.
  3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I do not recall a time that Lich King ever had Surge: Skeleton. Checking Poxbase I dont see it in the runes recent history either.

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

He had Surge 2 up until Ronin Mid-term, I think? Maybe Coalitions proper.

5. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

It did at one point on upgrade choose between surge skele and surge lich

6. urgoth16

urgoth16 Member

He meant surge lich i guess
    But yeah i didnt like boost changes too, it crippled some themes suddenly

7. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

I never got why he had surge 2 for skeles it was ridiculously strong

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

That would be why. Dont think I ever aw him without Surge: Lich

9. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

sadly runes changing are a point of issue for new players, I know lots of players that quit because their favorite runes were nerfed or more usually changed to be a completely different rune.

I also know lots of players that quit because they simply can't deal with broken combo's and decks in the meta.

in the end players will quit over anything and it's impossible to make everyone happy.

DarkJello and TheBulwark like this.
  10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It pretty much doesn't matter what we do, some people are unhappy and leave. Others leave because of changes that aren't done.

At the end of the day, we can only do what we think is best for the long-term health of the game.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  11. Sokolov

He had no Surges at releases, Surge: Lich pre-revamp, Surge: Skeleton post-revamp and recently got buffed but had Surge: Skeleton removed in the process.

So if he never changed, he'd have no Surges anyway.

xxLordQxx likes this.
  12. Sokolov

Also note that while Boost itself is weaker, there is now Defender and Commander even in themes that didn't have access to those before. The idea of the Boost change is outlined in this thread here:

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/boost-update-preview.16482/

As a comparison, old boost gave:

+6 HP
    +3 DMG
    +1 DEF

in AE6 focused on one champ.

If the theme didn't have access to Defender or Commander, and now does, along with Boost you get:

+5 HP globally (which is strictly better than AE6)
    +2 DMG in AE5 (slightly worse than AE6, and 1 less DMG)
    and +2 DEF in AE5 (slightly worse than AE5, and 1 more DEF)

with the sources spread out.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    BloodAshes, xxLordQxx and Leadrz like this.
  13. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

The range on defender is better. It's nice not to have to bunch up to receive the buffs from defender. Race and class are limiting factors when you want to use defender other than that I like it.

14. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

It has surge 2. Immortal and tonnes of range. It was a 38 damage 'beater'

15. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

While I agree there has been lots of large, sweeping changes over the last 6 months, many would argue that the game needed it.

We have had to streamline many abilities and also return champions to match their flavour, long term this provdies a lot of benefits.

Once we finish streamlining things, making things consistant and getting things fun and flavourful, changes will be of a smaller scale again and we can focus much more on fixing bugs and adding new features to the game.

themacca, DarkJello, Qucas and 3 others like this.
  16. MikeLin

MikeLin I need me some PIE!

Remembered that skype convo we had, we went extensively over this lol, turns out I was right

17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

You should view buying runes more as a subscription than as actually acquiring content. You can't expect the same runes to remain the same forever, to just buy once and then play for years.

Similarly, if they wouldn't change at all they would get massively powercreeped and you would be here complaining too. Or new runes would be added to your theme and you'd be making a thread because you'd have to invest to keep playing it in it's best possible version.

This sort of thread has no merit whatsoever other than venting your (somewhat unfounded) opinion. Pox is a game that needs constant change to function. It is unreasonable to expect to buy runes now and then to come back two years later and just pick up where you left off. The nature of the game does not allow yeah.

DarkJello, Qucas and Leadrz like this.
  18. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

I agree whole heartedly and I think most people that play do too that changing all these runes over and over again is getting pretty tired.

19. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

Which skeleton champion(s) have Commander?

I can't seem to find any.

20. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Pallys just have 3 sources of Commander now instead. :/