Diary of a Free Player

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by freebie219, Jul 13, 2014.

1. freebie219

freebie219 Member

Hey guys! I'm just starting out here with no runes so lets see what I can do. Is pox pay2win?!!! or can a young padawan go from no runes to a competitive deck in less than two weeks? We will find out soon!!!

July 13, Day 1!!!

Create my account, there's some tutorial that says it might be able to give me free runes at the end but it doesn't work. It tells me to use exertion on a barbarian elite that doesn't have it. lol. Good thing I can just surrender and move on. OK then.

Skeezick look like they might be cheap, so I aim to make a deck with them. I do the introduction to SL but I don't actually get runes from it. get some sweet gold tho.

Play the two dailies. I'm using the free hyaenid deck, it looks the coolest of my four options. First match, Klzik doesn't deploy so I just fight some dumb easy AI champs. Over in a few minutes.

Next daily: Svith Morrocane. I'm still playing the default SP deck but it looks like it might be hard. This guy is tough, has bounty hunter, and a whole army backing him up. Fortunately I know the tragic secret of his past. His whole family was killed in a freak banner-raising accident and ever since he has sworn revenge on war banners. I split my army up, letting a mundunugu, a spearman, an executioner, and an instigator handle his entourage. Meanwhile he spends 6 turns attacking my banner while a slowly increasing group of ranged hyenas whittle him down. He eventually gets his revenge, but it's too late for him. He is swarmed and dies. The end.

Then I go to training grounds but there is only one other dude in there and he's not queing up. Looks like it's straight to ranked.

After about 10 minutes waiting, I get matched up with an exo leaguer, playing UD. My hyenas carry the day though, thanks to a well placed rock trap. It ends and I get about 170 gold. Not bad.

Another match is a lot quicker, as I'm up against some KF guy. He seems friendly but he's got this scary owl that does hella damage. He doesn't have a whispers of the mind though. Hyenas win again.

Day one is over. No runes but I'm halfway to buying a pack! Hopefully I can make a deck of my own by the end of the week.

[​IMG]

TeaNinja, Intweener, Kampel and 12 others like this.
  2. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

This is refreshing to see, oh the nostalgia.. Keep at it man, welcome to PoxNora.

3. Pipster

Pipster I need me some PIE!

Some more encouragement from me. I have a lot of spare SL so hit me up IG if you need help with any of that.

4. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Also have some KF if need be.

5. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Message me if you ever see me online; I'll send some spares your way if I have what you want

6. freebie219

freebie219 Member

July 14!! Day 2.

My dailies from yesterday were still there when I logged in and there was nobody in the training grounds, so it's straight to ranked again to start. In my first game my hyenas faced off against another SP deck. My enemy had bats. I don't know if it was another free deck or his own, but it was pretty good. I thought I was going to lose this one when he ran into my font with a lance admiral but I double teamed him and ended up winning after a lot of tense moments. He said gg and disconnected so I had to wait 5 minutes but then I got extra gold for my first win.

My second game was against a guy playing UD and KF. I thought I was going to play with my hyenas but instead I was playing with lonxes. Lonxes are really tough compared to the hyenas but their range is worse so I don't like them as much. They outmuscled my opponent's dudes though and meowed their way to victory. Maybe I will play this deck more soon.

Then I did my dailies. Drakon didn't deploy so it was pretty easy beating his friends and killing his shrine. Akakos wasn't too hard either because I bought some time against his army with a couple guys while everyone else attacked him.

After that I had enough cash money to buy my first pack. I think I will have to do some trading though if I want to build a real deck.

[​IMG]

PS Thanks to everyone offering me stuff. I will wait though and see what I can make on my own first.

TeaNinja, Pipster, TeaScholar and 3 others like this.
  7. Savain

Savain Member

you know when I saw this i thought it was a beg thread how surprised I was I love these threads :) so nice to see a new player.

I dont have much im a returning player but ill see what i can do if you need any runes message me on main site, dont use forum much.

8. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

If you want to play against somebody who isn't very good, feel free to message me in-game, I'll always respond unless I'm afk (which is more than I'd like to admit).

9. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Likewise

10. attio26

attio26 Lord of FS

This is an awesome thread man.

I can offer you spares too but you seem defiant on doing it your own way.

If you ever have any questions about tactics or want to learn a trick or two drop me a message, it looks like pox has gained a great new player.

11. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

Man, now you're making me want to do this again. Cool thread. I hope you keep it up!

12. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Cool thread man

13. Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver The King of Potatoes

Cool to see someone doing this to!! When I started playing some time ago, I wanted to do something like this, but after a couple of weeks I just couldnt keep it up (neither playing nor making the reports), I hope you can keep this up! Its a very interesting read :)

PS: You must be a natural, you won your first two ranked games!! And one of them against an exo player, congrats!

14. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

He is a natural! We played a training grounds game and it lasted forever. I tried fw for the first time with the starter deck and it was close, but he won. xD

15. fyaoyh

fyaoyh New Member

This is a fake new player. This is an experienced player who is pretending to be new. He just created a new account or something. The proof is simple: it is impossible to win a exo league player in ranked game after just playing the tutorial. I don't know his purpose of doing this, but I do worry about the current player base. It seems there is no real new player anymore.

16. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

Um, no. It is not impossible, it is merely improbable. The exo league likely say a low leveled person and assumed he was a terrible player and played foolishly, and/or had a deck they were not familiar with. There are more variables than I've played X games I should be able to beat people who've played less than X games. :p

Pipster likes this.
  17. Ginx

Ginx Member

Yeah it is not impossible at all. There are ways to get a highish rank with only playing a few lucky games every now and then. Also, even though I am an experienced player I play off an on a lot. Had stopped playing for at least a year or two, made a new bg with 2 factions I never used before and was able to be someone that was in the limited league in ranked. I'm rather sure between him looking down on my rank and my BG just having a natural advantage over his I was able to win even though most of the runes I didn't recognize and I was (still am) really rusty. So yeah its possible. Probably no, but it can happen. And even if he is experienced so what. Winning with $0.00 invested in Poxnora and going completely free is not something that is so easily done so I would still be impressed. Also, the title says free player, not new player so it is possible, but again even if this is the case so what.

18. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

real or fake, these posts make EXCELLENT points.

TeaNinja and Pipster like this.
  19. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

There are really terrible exo players around. Just yesterday I beat some IS fool who thought playing Pallies made him the most skillful player ever and him placing Talgar next to a chasm meant that Augurs were OP. Oh well.

20. freebie219

freebie219 Member

July 17! Day 5!

I haven't been able to update about the last couple of days, though they've been pretty important.

On my third day I went straight to ranked and played 3 matches against FS. Two were against the same guy, who stomped me pretty hard with free summoned hippos all the time. My hyenas did their best but just couldn't cut it. I was able to beat the other FS player because I managed to swarm his free summoned hippos.

I also did my dailies as usual and it looks like getting in 2-3 games + the dailies gives about 1100-1200 gold so I can get a pack every other day.

Yesterday was pretty cool too. I only played one game in ranked (it was also against a FS guy) and managed to get a win thanks to my tunneling hyena who got into my enemy's font early. Luckily I met up with Zythraak yesterday and we were able to play a training grounds game... eventually.
    [​IMG]
    We eventually got the game going and he played skeletons against my barbarians. It was a tough fight but I eventually won. We both agreed both decks are pretty strong. I might play more with the barbarians but I had other fish to fry. After the training ground game (400 gold!) I was able to buy another pack. After four days I had this:

[​IMG]

I think I could have waited but I decided I want to play my own deck sooner rather than later. So I traded them all into poxbox and it was just enough to make a skeezick deck. I had a few options so I just picked the ones that looked good to me. I now have 31 runes and like 20 credits in the store. The service was really quick too so I was able to start playing with it today.

[​IMG]

I think tomorrow I will buy a cheap pack but then after that I will go for the more expensive one to see what I get. It's nice to have a deck of my own so I can start making it better every couple of days.

P.S. I do have some experience with this game but it's been a while.

TeaNinja and Pipster like this.