Disagreements

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

https://medium.com/@SeanBlanda/the-other-side-is-not-dumb-2670c1294063#.448xkxrbt

"This is not a “political correctness” issue. It’s a fundamental rejection of the possibility to consider that the people who don’t feel the same way you do might be right. It’s a preference to see the Other Side as a cardboard cut out, and not the complicated individual human beings that they actually are.

What happens instead of genuine intellectual curiosity is the sharing of Slate or Onion or Fox News or Red State links. Sites that exist almost solely to produce content to be shared so friends can pat each other on the back and mock the Other Side. Look at the Other Side! So dumb and unable to see this the way I do!"

[​IMG]

Astamir likes this.
  2. Sokolov

"I implore you to seek out your opposite. When you hear someone cite “facts” that don’t support your viewpoint don’t think “that can’t be true!” Instead consider, “Hm, maybe that person is right? I should look into this.”"

For this, I draw the line where they refuse to actually give me the sources and say something like "figure it out yourself."

3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

but sok, with the way tech has gone we can all talk to each other so much faster now- why would (or should) i, in actively thinking, impair my ability to speedily communicate with the masses, if instead i can blaze through what they say, slap a label on them, and then mock them for the rest of my days?

it's all about efficiency.

BurnPyro likes this.
  4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Good book series called Terra Incognita that is basically about two sides that disagree about which side is correct and how they almost destroy each other when neither is in fact correct.

5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

yeah i dunno i think in terms of actual intelligence, the US has the same basic spread as any other country. the thing with the US is that there's been an anti-education sentiment of sorts (decidedly not the best choice of words, but afk soon) running for a while, which brings us to the difference between ignorance and lack of intelligence.

not saying there aren't ignoramuses in other countries, just that the US has a pretty well documented set of em #floridaman

6. Sokolov

I do find it frustrating that I cannot discuss the problems I see in the country in which I reside and am raising my child(ren soon?) without at some point being called "Amerihater" or some such.

I don't hate the country. I just have concerns about some aspects of it.

7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Those concerns are just south of go-back-home-worthy, though rite?

8. Sokolov

Sure. I mean, I am sure we could start a thread and talk about what we love about America, but that'd get boring real fast, since people like to argue more than they like to agree :)

9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I'm sure someone would get into an argument about this thing that they love more, or why they are wrong to love that thing. It'd fit right into this Off-Topic forum in no time I'm sure ;)

Baskitkase likes this.