Discussing American politics as civil human beings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

2. damnfoolishyeti

damnfoolishyeti I need me some PIE!

The amount of insight this provides is beyond comprehension .

DarkJello likes this.
  3. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Any one poll means little to nothing. Trends are key. Even then, the polls are still currently only deciding who gets into the varsity debate.

9-19-2015

This post-debate poll will horrify the GOP establishment

36 percent of poll respondents support Donald Trump; 12 percent support Ben Carson; and 10 percent support Carly Fiorina. All together, that's 58 percent of Republican debate-watchers who support one of the three candidates in the race with no experience in elected office whatsoever. To put it another way, none of the twelve candidates in the field with political experience managed to crack 10 percent of the vote.

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/19/9353865/republican-poll-debate-fiorina

9-20-2015

Trump is slumping in a new CNN/ORC poll released Sunday. He leads the crowded field with 24% of the Republican vote, down eight points from a similar survey earlier in the month.
    Meanwhile, former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Florida) — whom many pundits identified as the two winners of the debate — have jumped a few spots. Fiorina has vaulted into second behind Trump, grabbing 15% of the vote. She had just 3% support in the CNN poll earlier this month.

Rubio is in fourth place with 11% of the Republican vote, also up from 3%. He's also behind retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, who fell to third place amid Fiorina's rise. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) stands in fifth place, with 9% of the vote. He also had 9% in the last CNN poll.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-slumping-2-candidates-162441149.html

9-20-2015

Debates alone rarely move poll numbers in big ways, and Trump continues to lead the crowded field with 29 percent of Republican and independent voters who lean Republican saying they would cast their vote for him. Ben Carson and Carly Fiorina remain on an upward trajectory, now filling in the second and third spots. Jeb Bush is holding steady at 8%, about the same level of support he's seen since April in NBC News/SurveyMonkey polling. During that same period, Scott Walker has seen his support shrink from 12% to just 3% in our latest poll.

However, nearly a third of Republican voters now say that they expect Donald Trump will be the eventual nominee. When we first asked the question back in April, Trump and Fiorina had not yet announced their candidacies, and Scott Walker was leading the field. Back then, 24% thought Jeb Bush would be the eventual nominee. More than 1 in 5 currently say they don't know who will win, showing that there's still plenty of time for candidates to rise and fall during the next few months, as voters start to make up their minds.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/nbc-online-survey-fiorina-won-debate-trump-still-leads-n430316

Here is a very worrisome analysis, for those that believe in liberty and such:

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/20/how...he_system_to_keep_trump_from_winning_partner/

4. DarkJello

9-20-2015

DURHAM, N.H. — Presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders drew an estimated 3,000 people to a boisterous rally here Sunday night at the University of New Hampshire, about five times as many people as Democratic rival Hillary Rodham Clinton attracted to an event two days ago at the same campus.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-clinton-to-event-at-same-university-in-n-h/

Outsiders, so far, are sticking it to Repub and Dem politicians.

5. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

It seems like part of the anti-politics trend which is across the world in the wake of the recession. People are turning to those outside of traditional politics, which is seen as a suspect institution.

In Europe it tends to be hard left parties, in Greece syriza came to power, in Spain podemos have become the second party, in the UK the labour party has elected a leader (by voting by party members) who is well to the left of his predecessors and is commited anti-war, anti-nuclear arms, anti-austerity.

In the US, I guess the demonising of left wing politics has been so successful that someone like trump can fill that vacuum.

BurnPyro likes this.
  6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I think the past 7 years speaks for itself. No demonizong necessary.

SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  7. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Sigh ...

8. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

I agree.

Osama killed.
    Gas prices lowered.
    Unemployment lowered.
    More Americans covered under Healthcare.
    Basic rights guaranteed for all Americans.
    Plus plenty more...

And all of this done with an obstructionist congress trying to stop progress and hold the American people hostage.

I admit, they could have done more for the Environment, and more to reduce our dependence on Fossil fuels... but at least the past 7 years have gotten us on the right path.

Now we just need is a Liberal who will stand his ground (Obama was way too willing to bow down to the Conservatives), with a liberal congress to bring us the rest of the way into the 21st century.

9. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

To be fair, killing someone without even a mock trial like that of Saddam isn't exactly a good thing.

Ohmin likes this.
  10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

You have read the NDAA and stuff, right? Well, I suppose probably not, but still.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the US government though.

If only costs were actually reduced instead of people being forced to get "qualified" Insurance in order to avoid a yearly tax...

Don't get me wrong, there are some things I like about "Obamacare" and Obama himself, it's just...

I think a lot of that is still reactionary politics, same as in the US, albeit fuzzier due to the (generally) wider array of political parties (though most of them are still identified on a left/right axis). But perhaps I simply don't know enough about recent (past 20 years) European history in most nations.

It could also be a "guiding" influence of the EU policies in general. Like I said, I'm not speaking with 100% confidence.

SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

upload_2015-9-21_20-1-9.png

It's pretty interesting how the debates aren't setup to give the people equal time. I suppose it's all about ratings (and Trump brings ratings).

Ohmin and DarkJello like this.
  12. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

My response to the last ~1 page or so of posts:
    "what does it all mean???"

Ohmin likes this.
  13. DarkJello

YUGE ratings!! ;)

Bellagion likes this.
  14. DarkJello

15. DarkJello

Way too many in the US Congress do NOT stand for we the people. They do NOT vigorously defend the constitution. And they are obstructing true progress towards liberty and happiness. They, Repub and Dem politicians alike, continue to push for more power and more wealth for them and their chummy pals. This leaves less for we the people. Reality will win, but I am anxious to get on the path and get 'er done. Now is the time to begin evolving again.

The vast majority of Repub politicians at the top of the pyramid scheme are big government allies. They want to move the levers of freedom around while they laugh at darn near everyone else on the planet. They are NOT conservatives. Obama had a liberal US Congress for 2 years. He had a liberal Senate until recently. Why did they fail to act in the best interests of the American citizen?? That is an important piece of the puzzle.

Ohmin likes this.
  16. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

For the sake of humor, I'm going to assume that this was not a typo, even if you correct it.

DarkJello likes this.
  17. Sokolov

I do think that instead of compromising and trying to get Republican buy-in during those first 2 years, the Democrats should have used their control to do what they wanted. For example, a full single payer healthcare system instead of the half-assed Obamacare (which is still better than nothing). For some reason, I think Obama thought compromising on issues and trying to get bi-partisan support would help down the line, but as even the Republican Congressmen themselves have admitted, their goal from the start was to obstruct any way they could.

18. DarkJello

I can point to lots of Obama wins over the US Congress.

But I am at a loss as to when they last had a victory over Obama.

We the people pushed them into power to defeat Obama, but they are too busy lining their own pockets. Trump and his outsider allies are the natural next step in our battle to slice down the corruption, waste, and fraud that have grown right along with the rise of the Krapitalism Overlords calling the shots. Newton's 3rd Law. I don't care which of the outsiders wins, only that she or he gets in and pushes the country away from too big to succeed gvt (aka tyranny) and back towards liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

SPiEkY likes this.
  19. Sokolov

I guess it depends on your definition of "win." It seems to me that preventing Obama from making progress on many initiatives and wasting time and money (such as voting to repeal Obamacare over and over knowing full well it won't get through the Senate) during his two-terms is victory enough for them.

20. DarkJello

That has seemed to be their strategy. I don't like it. Feels more like token resistance. I have more faith in Obama than I do in the top Repub politicians. He seems to fight hard for his beliefs. That is commendable. Boehner reminds me of a fake n bake vampire and McConnell looks like a turtle zombie. Compared to them, Obama is Van Helsing... But with a pen and phone. [shrugs]. My imagination is flitting around now.