Discussing American politics as civil human beings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Let's take personal insults to the press boys

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Besides, why is the video arbitrarily cut short? Did somene have an agenda?

3. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

10-7-2015

NEW YORK — After a summer of dominating the Republican presidential campaign, Donald Trump is moving into a new and uncertain phase that the billionaire businessman acknowledges will be more challenging than any project he has ever undertaken — even as he views the nomination as now within his reach.

In an hour-long interview with The Washington Post at his 26th-floor office in Trump Tower, the Republican front-runner ruminated on the many obstacles ahead. Sitting at a desk piled high with magazine covers bearing his image and strewn with polls and other testaments to his early success, Trump said he is far from satisfied with what he has accomplished to date.

Trump, who is mostly self-funding his campaign, said he had originally budgeted up to $20 million through mid-September for television advertising. But so far, he has not spent anything to go on the airwaves since he is so often on them: “It’s been all Trump, all the time. . . . If you had an ad, people would O.D.”

But he and his aides said that would soon change. His campaign says it has hired a Florida-based advertising firm and Trump said he has proposed several concepts for ads in the works.
    “I have such a great concept — in fact, so good,” Trump said, declining to specify.

Campaign manager Corey Lewandowski said Trump’s team likely would spend considerably more than $20 million on paid media later this year — “whatever it takes.” He said the spots would be “non-traditional,” saying the firm, which he and Trump declined to name, has never created political ads.

Central to the fall strategy is the release later this month of a book that will serve as a campaign manifesto. During the interview, Trump showed off the cover and title, “Crippled America,” and held up pages of the galleys, which he was editing by hand. “It’s actually the hardest I’ve worked on a book since ‘The Art of the Deal,’” he said, referring to his 1987 bestseller. “I don’t want to have a stupid statement in the book that people are going to say, ‘Hey, why did he say that?’ ”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...5790c2-6c68-11e5-9bfe-e59f5e244f92_story.html

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

http://mic.com/articles/126147/thes...impressive-bernie-sanders-fundraising-haul-is

"The first Obama campaign set a new standard for targeted voter outreach. But it still fell short of Sanders in the fundraising department, at least in the third quarter of the year before the general election. Obama took in a little more than $20 million in the third quarter of 2007 — or about $6 million less than Sanders did this summer."

[​IMG]

~

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bernie-sanders-matched-hillary-clinton-fundraising/story?id=34212361

"Sanders has been able to bring in cash quickly since day one. In the first 24 hours of his campaign, Sanders was able to raise an astonishing $1.5 million from over 35,000 donors, according to his campaign, more than any other candidate who released first day numbers, including Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Marco Rubio.

Since then, he has convinced fans to give what they can and keep giving, resulting in a groundswell of small donations. While the official FEC filings do not come out until later this month, according to the campaign, the average donation size last quarter was $30 dollars and 99 percent of all of donations to the campaign were under $100."

~

It's interesting how both the "outsiders" are doing things very differently and their funding is kind indicative of their political stances too. Trump is self-funded, while Sanders is funded largely by small donations from many people without actively seeking them out all that much - both very different than most candidates, who normally take in most of their funding from the wealthy by hosting fancy dinners and events.

DarkJello likes this.
  5. DarkJello

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I still think both are kind of long-shots.

7. DarkJello

I have always enjoyed the underdog victories the most.

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these early stages usually the place for upsets and new kids on the block to do well in American politics?

9. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

This time last election Herman Cain was the front runner. Sigh reminds me of my 8,8,8 plan for pox.

newsbuff likes this.
  10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

You know trolling better than anyone here, but are you on Trumps level? Git thur!

DarkJello likes this.
  11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I hate you, because I know the audience hates you!

2 days later**

I mean I love baskitkase. My friends are baskikases. He gives me money.

Baskitkase likes this.
  12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Oh, so we're all just "baskitkases" way to label us. I call for your personal, professional and political ruination because I can and the media will likely help me flame this nonexistent trollspark into a roaring forest fire. Thanks, I think?

DarkJello likes this.
  13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'm a strong, rich and independent mang. I don't need to validation.

I indirectly paid Hilary to go to my wedding

DarkJello likes this.
  14. DarkJello

Ok, that was funny. You broke my iron wall of indifference. ;)

Well played sir. I now officially recognize you as a knight of the Kingdom of Belgium!!

Do you want a Trump hat or a Glock as reward?? :D

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'll take a USP-S if you don't mind, the Glock is awful.

16. DarkJello

USP-S - Counter-Strike Wiki - Wikia
    counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/USP-S
    The USP-S is a silencer-compatible pistol featured in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and was added into the game on the August 14, 2013 Arms Deal update.
    Alternate name(s)‎: ‎H&K USP45 Tactical
    Damage‎: ‎35
    Firing mode(s)‎: ‎Semi-automatic
    Used by‎: ‎Counter-Terrorists

I am not skilled enough to argue which gun is better. If you say the USP-S is superior, you are probably correct. I only shoot my glock a few times per year.

17. DarkJello

10-6-2015

Perhaps the reports of Donald Trump’s collapse were premature.

The Donald returns to the top spot in our Power Rankings this week.

This is not necessarily because of a sudden surge in Trump’s momentum, but more a function of the close contest for the top of our list. The top group are closely bunched in our weekly survey of 30 experts; the distance Trump climbed from third place to first is really a matter of a few changed votes.

Trump continues to have a strong base of support. Social media sentiment is more favorable toward Trump than most other GOP candidates, said digital campaign expert Alan Rosenblatt. “Trump not only has a positive sentiment score, but he is mentioned more than seven times as many times as the second best — Rubio.”

Trump had 15 first-place votes, Rubio 6, Fiorina 5 and Carson 3.
    After the top four, our survey shows a significant dropoff before getting to Jeb Bush in 5th place

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015...r-rankings-week-6-trump-fiorina-rubio-carson/

18. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

For me, the fundermental problem with American politics is the political system - the 'donation' of money to campaigns, and the dependency upon that money. It just seems inherently corrupt. You could get the most capable person in the world but if he gets there with a list of payoffs to make then he's not going to be acting in the interests of the people.

Trump, in a way, cuts out the corrupt middle man in this, since he is so wealthy he can fund himself. Seems this could go two ways - either he uses this independence to tackle the system, or he just cuts out the middle man to act in the interests of the rich (himself) directly.

Boozha and DarkJello like this.
  19. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I wouldn't bet on the former.

Besides, isn't he taking donations anyway?

20. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I don't know much about it, and since I'm not American I don't really consider it my business - I certainly don't want to get on the US bashing train of thought. This is just my outsider observation as to what I see as wrong with US politics.

I really don't give a firk if you all want to carry guns or be right wing, that's opinion and we are all entitled to it, but this seems to me such an obvious flaw at such a fundermental level that I don't see how you could have meaningful politics with it.

But maybe I'm overblowing it, UK politics has it too, we are just more embarrassed about it.