Discussing American politics as civil human beings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

For whom?

2. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Not to cross-contaminate these threads too much, but you do realize that stopping an attack is a form of defense, right?

3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Ragic and in extension his likes.

If it works. Gun proliferation does not work in stopping gun attacks, as seen by the gun death rate in the US, thus it is not a viable form of defense.

4. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

How can we have a legitimate conversation if you cannot keep basic, simple details straight?

I just realized you might not even know you are creating a cokk-and-bull story. (Call it a fairy tell, if you prefer). Would be great if you stopped fabricating statements.

5. DarkJello

Obama raised more money than his rivals in each of his presidential runs. Why are you not outraged by that?

Walker never gained traction with the voters THEN the donors left THEN Walker dropped out. Those pesky facts.

Also, it must be awesome living in the Kingdom of Belgium. No corruption. No crime. Everybody is happy and rich. Life is a breeze. Cool story bro.

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I have stated before that over 90% of times the person with most cash wins, which is disgusting.

walker had 10% at one point, no lies

7. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I'm torn between wanting to "like" this post for it's accuracy in the first line, and wanting to condemn it for it's second to last line.

I do have a question though:

What would you have Americans do about it?

8. DarkJello

1) Congrats on making a post without resorting to lots of Cap locks action.
    2) I imagine that sometimes the candidate has more money because he/she is a better candidate.
    ----But, and this is were we agree, money is probably corrupting the process more than ever. Trillions and trillions of dollars printed out of thin air.
    3) Walker did look like a legit candidate, but then reality happened and he lost ground with the voters very quickly.
    4) We agreed on 2 of 3 points. If you agree with this, then we agreed on 3 of 4. Progress.

9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

10. DarkJello

11. Sokolov

The original premise being discussed is that the rich are buying politicians.

You suggested that there is a lack of outrage given that Obama also raised a lot of money.

I am suggesting that since much of Obama's donors aren't the rich (or at least isn't donating massive amounts), it might be a different scenario, or at least less applicable given the current discussion.

Does that make sense?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

No idea. At this point it almost requires a complete overhaul of the system to get the money out of politics. But anyone who dares say that gets swept aside. IIRC there were two people running, one democrat and one republican who wanted to get money out of politics. They just get shut down. Stopped appearing in the polls and didn't get invites to debates, because apparently it's a good idea to have them done by media who makes good money off politics.

I doubt it can be done at this point, I don't know enough/anything really about how you'd be able to get that type of stuff done. It is however, a really sad reality that the country that prides itself on it's freedom has a political system that is far from democratic. Freedom to vote, except you don't decide. Money and whoever has most of it does.

1. I NEARLY NEVER USE CAPS LOCK
    2. Possibly. He/she can appeal to the most people with money seemed to be true until recently (both obama before and sanders now are raising a ton by little donors). It's no surprise candidates with a well oiled money gathering machine and connections (Clinton, Bush) because of legacies are always top candidates.
    3. I don't know what exactly happened. He seemed rather 'weak' to me, lacking a ton of real confidence in his policies. Flip flop artist at best, puppet at worst. Oh and the whole "I'm going to clear the field and others should do so we can all get behind someone who can beat the current front runner (donald trump)' was sad. Didn't he also do that thing with the Koch brother fake call or whatever?
    4. Who knows. I don't see it as my mission to convince you/others or to find common ground, merely to express my opinions and educate myself on the matters of American politics. This goes hand in hand with the emotional outbursts and how rotten some parts of the system are.

Ohmin and DarkJello like this.
  13. Sokolov

As far as all the polls I have seen, the majority of people disagree with Citizens United. Citizens United, which, if you didn't know, refers to a conservative group that brought a court case to the US Supreme Court, which paved the way for big money to enter politics in the last few election cycles.

"On January 21, 2010, the Supreme Court overturned the provision of McCain-Feingold barring corporations and unions from paying for political ads made independently of candidate campaigns." Which has led to the rise of SUPER PACs, which raise money independent from candidates, technically, but support particular candidates with said donations, therefore bypassing other laws and regulations on political campaigns.

Studies have shown that Citizens United have largely benefited Republicans:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...udy-citizens-united-elected-more-republicans/

This is similar to Voter ID laws, where there is a concerted effort by some lawmakers to push for legislation that undermine the democratic process.

14. Sokolov

Incidentally, according to the Koch brothers, they were never specifically supporting Walker. Allegedly, all that happened was one of them said he liked Walker.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/charles-koch-im-fighting-against-special-interests/

""I made a vow: I'm not going to talk about individuals," (Charles) Koch said. "David said he liked [Scott] Walker, so now all the press is, 'Well, we put all this money behind Walker, and he had to drop out.' We didn't put a penny [on him]. David said heliked him.""

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    DarkJello likes this.
  15. Sokolov

I am glad to know that you are frustrated by my emulation of your own tendencies.

16. DarkJello

Very logical. Big gvt politicians have a MASSIVE advantage over small gvt politicians. They get to spend billions and billions of other peoples' money stacking the deck in their favor. I want the government more efficient, which automatically means more voters will oppose than support me. In short, it is called buying votes. Repub big gvt politicians are just as guilty as the Dem politicians. It is very sad. BP and I agree on that.

You continue to be fair and logical, most of the time Sok. I really do appreciate that. BP can be so when he chooses, which is most welcome and refreshing.

17. Sokolov

That is certainly one of the arguments for Citizens United I have seen - that it counters the money the masses can provide to some candidates. I am not sure how true it actually is, given the wealth disparity in this country, but there's some logic to it.

That said, "big government" is the same as buying votes, then it seems like no matter what happens, you could argue it is "buying votes." Promise to cut taxes? Buying votes. Promise to raise minimum wage? Buying votes. Promise to give subsidies? Buying votes. Promise to cut tax loopholes? Buying votes.

The only difference is who you are buying votes from.

18. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

isn't that the whole game? you propose policy initiatives, if people like them then they vote for you. why people like or dislike an initiative may vary wildly, but i wouldn't say it's buying votes most of the time so much as just politics.

19. Sokolov

I guess that's my question - when does it become "buying votes?"

20. DarkJello

Those people that oppose efforts to require voter ID are destroying the democratic process. You gots that mixed up sir.