Discussing American politics as civil human beings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

10-13-2015

Donald Trump tops the pack today in a Republican presidential primary in Connecticut with 34 percent, his highest score in any Quinnipiac University state poll so far...

Dr. Ben Carson gets 14 percent of Republican primary votes in Connecticut, with 11 percent for Carly Fiorina, 7 percent for U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida and 6 percent each for former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas. No other candidate tops 4 percent, with 9 percent undecided.

Trump tops the GOP "no way" list as 25 percent say they would "definitely not" vote for him, followed by Bush with 22 percent who would not support him.

"Connecticut Republicans apparently want an outsider, as Donald Trump, Ben Carson and Carly Fiorina lead the field and get a combined total of 59 percent of the Republican primary vote. Establishment candidates such as Gov. Jeb Bush and Sen. Marco Rubio are in single digits," said Quinnipiac University Poll Director Douglas Schwartz, PhD.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-...oll/connecticut/release-detail?ReleaseID=2289

Yay! Establishment Repubs continue to take it in the shorts. Yay!

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

To be frank, I am not sure it's really worth the effort since we'll just disagree on both the causes and the solutions.

3. DarkJello

:rolleyes:

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I wonder why?

Probably because at this point Trump could shoot Jeb bush point blank on stage, and some would still vote for him. Trying to hard not to vote for the GOP that you vote for the guy who has nearly no thought out policy, rabbles on about everything without making a point, insults anyone who disagrees with him and say he'll learn things "when he's in office".

I wonder why people like him so much, he betrays an arrogant, self-centered ******* with no respect for others or their idea- hey wait a minute

5. Sokolov

I can see the appeal of a macho, I don't give a Bane Shift about what other people think attitude, particularly if you are disillusioned with the current choices.

I just don't see it being a good fit for leading a country.

Also, I don't think that behaving in this way is the only way to be genuine (and I am not even sure it is genuine in his case, I think it's more of an act).

Ohmin likes this.
  6. Sokolov

Just saying that's what happens. You sometimes (I said largely before, which isn't quite fair since I don't know what the real count is) either ignore it or say "I agree" and spin it a completely different direction than what I intended.

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

"A former investigator for the House Select Committee on Benghazi tells CNN that the committee became a “partisan investigation” meant to target Hillary Clinton.

Major Bradley Podliska, an intelligence officer for the Air Force Reserve fired ten months ago, says that the investigation began as a nonpartisan inquiry into the September 11 attack on the Benghazi consulate. But Podliska claims the committee pulled funding from other lanes of inquiry and changed into a Clinton-focused investigation once they learned of the former Secretary of State’s private email server.”*

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/10/10/p...itical-hillary-clinton-brad-podliska-lawsuit/

Only in America.

8. Sokolov

As I pointed in my Benghazi thread, this didn't seem to be the case before. It's appears to be a recent phenomenon of using Congressional hearings on tragedies for political gain.

9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Yeah I believe he's portraying himself as anti-establishment as possible with his own funding, rude talk and attitude, and mostly saying how corrupt the system is and how he intends to change it.

I much rather believe a Bernie Sanders who has been doing this Bane Shift his whole life, than a guy who was abusing said system and now all of a sudden feels sorry for everyone. Yeah, right. As I said, trying to sell his brand some more and on the off chance he lands the job, he lands the job.

Perhaps America deserves a Donald Trump to win, just to showcase the difference with Obama. Let them feel what idiots they're voting for. However, it's far more likely they'd blame someone else for their idols mistakes.

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Regardless, it seems that in the American political system, you gotta get down and dirty. Your policies don't matter nearly as much on their own if you can't slander your opponent. Put them down real good. If it was only in debates or ads, it would be low but manageable.

But using taxpayer money to try and get dirt on other candidates? Utterly pathetic. This coming from the same GOP who will blame Obama for spending too much and keeps saying they'll give taxcuts and stop spending. Stop spending. Stop spending.

Funny how irony works

11. Sokolov

The interesting part is that it's likely that during the next Presidential cycle the economy will pick up.

I personally expect GDP growth to break 3.5% by 2020, which it hasn't done since 2005, and whomever is in office will reap the benefits of something he had little actual control over.

Obama picked the complete wrong time to become President (right after the economy crashed, followed by a global economic crisis with both the Asian tigers and the Eurozone experiencing downturns), basically, and Bush got out just in time.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

By the way, the democratic debate starts in 10 minutes, right?

13. Sokolov

2.5 hours.

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

ah dammit, is there a way to re-watch it later? Don't really feel like staying up until dawn when I have places to be tomorrow

15. Sokolov

I am sure there'll be videos of it. This is 2015 :)

16. DarkJello

Politicians being super nasty as they battle back and forth over politics does NOT happen "only in America." Sorry, but you sound biased and ignorant.

17. DarkJello

Tens of millions of Americans still think Obama knows what he is doing. Dude is an empty suit. And his supporters still blame GW Bush for darn near everythAng. We agree then?

18. DarkJello

You just described how Obama rose to power in Murica. He used all those tactics and more. Are you FURIOUS with him now?

America is digging a MASSIVE financial hole, and continues to do so each and every day. Obama is guilty. Dems are guilty. Repubs are guilty. Corruption to the max.

19. DarkJello

Yeah, the "debate" will start soon. I bet it will not be watched by many. And I deduce that it will be kiddie gloves hour.

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oh really. From all the so called 'top civilized countries" no country slanders it's opposising politicians as much as America. It seems your ads are include a huge deal of "X is super bad but Y is wants stuff for you, the real american! vote Y, X hates america" kind of bs. The whole thing Obama had to go through with his birth certificate, the claiming he's a muslim, etc.

I dare you to find a top civilized country where this is the norm. Yes, I use the word norm, because politicians don't defend their own policy. They put down other people's policy and then contrast it to their own. Except they'll quite often go 'ad hominem' while going after the persons policy.

Honestly, it's so contrasting to the standard in Belgium that it's mindblowing that Americans put up with this sort of crap. How people aren't outraged at the amount of lies and false information spread in these ads is beyond me.