Discussing American politics as civil human beings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Again, every argument you can't defend starts with "but Obama did this and you're not blaming him so you can't possibly have a point.

Do you see me say anywhere that everyone BUT Obama is doing said stupid things? Did I ever somehow exempt Obama from America? Arguing with you feels so pointless when you're just gonna throw the 'Obama' and 'everything sucks' card. Then you throw in some random comments about financial stuff that isn't even relevant.

-

Seriously, if you quote my comments, please bother to actually reply to them, because it feels like you're just repeating yourself regardless of what I write.

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I seem unable to find a proper livestream. Links?

I'm on CNN's website, but no go. halp meh

DarkJello likes this.
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

DarkJello likes this.
  4. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Curious that none of you have yet commented on the paid political plant article I shared this morning. Or on the establishment getting wiped out article either.

10-13-2015

"At the request of many, and even though I expect it to be a very boring two hours, I will be covering the Democrat Debate live on Twitter," Trump wrote.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/13/politics/donald-trump-twitter-cnn-democratic-debate/

5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

An error occured, click OK to refresh. About ten times. Same with the CNN main page.

Don't know why it's buggy, perhaps some software that I don't have or whatnot. Guess I'll watch a vod of it tomorrow.

6. DarkJello

1) You complain a LOT about Republicans, but barely ever mention Democrats. The vast majority of politicians in both groups are contemptible. Fair is fair.

2) Again, you complain about Trump but barely ever say a word against Obama. Why the disparity?

3) I use facts and logic all the time. You just don't like my conclusions, so you straw man the arguments. Many things do "suck" though. Pretending otherwise is unhelpful.

4) When it comes to politics, finances are always relevant.

5) I have replied to your comments yet again, just now. We don't have to agree for you to realize I am staying on topic. Best of luck with the debate. So far, only Bernie seems interesting.
    ----(By "so far" I mean in the race, NOT in this one debate. I don't have the will to watch it, or the time).

7. Sokolov

Curious that you spam so many articles with very few that you personally actually comment on, but expect us to respond to whatever you deem important but don't tell us.

BurnPyro likes this.
  8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

People don't pretend otherwise -- they view otherwise. Those qualitative assessments depend upon personal morality and values, things which can, from person to person, be each internally consistent and yet fundamentally different.

DarkJello likes this.
  9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Have you read the title of this thread?

You probably haven't, since you're too busy blindly defending trump by attacking my views instead. As I said, Trump has hardly any real policy, which is why you're doing the same thing he does. Go full on attacking and focusing on the other instead of on yourself.

10. Sokolov

I don't know what BP thinks, but I don't think believe that just because YOU feel both sides are contemptible doesn't mean anyone who doesn't think so isn't "fair."

Since we speculating about people...

I also think that your "both sides are bad" is largely lipservice, as you barely have any details on Republicans being bad and is very generic while you have very specific complaints against Democrats. At the same time, when I mention something Republicans are doing you ignore it, defend them or dodge the issue (or you complain about how Democrats do it too like that makes it ok). Or if it is Republican-problem, it is usually anti-Trump. Why the disparity?

Personally, any disparity *I* display is because I believe Republicans are worse in most cases. I haven't hidden this fact, nor do I pretend that both sides are equally bad. Maybe I am biased, maybe I am right, maybe it's both - I don't know. But I don't pretend otherwise.

And lastly, this thread is about Trump, where you constantly post things about Trump. Of course people are going to talk about Trump.

I feel like I am picking on you, and I don't intend this to be the case, I just feel like you are not seeing the things you are doing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  11. Sokolov

upload_2015-10-13_18-45-27.png

Yes, he is certainly "covering" the debate *rollseyes*

This guy is turning politics into a reality TV show and the American public is eating it up. I have to give it to him though, it's certainly effective!

BurnPyro likes this.
  12. Sokolov

I plan on watching it later. But here's my wife (who grew up all her life Republican and voted for McCain and Romney, but is probably going Democrat this time)'s review so far, watching it live.

"This has been a really good debate so far. Anderson Cooper has been doing a great job of keeping it moving and not letting the candidates dodge questions, and covering topics in depth but not letting them rant on and on."

13. DarkJello

More ad hominem. Yawn. Trump has plenty of real policies. Just read this thread.

I am focused on the Repub establishment getting trounced. Thus I am fine with Trump, or Carson, or Cruz, or Fiorini winning the nomination. It is my opinion that Trump has the best chance of doing that, and then defeating Bernie or Biden. I could be way off. But should I be silent just because I don't 100% know for sure?

I read lots of threads, watch lots of vids, talk with 100s of real Americans every month, and then discuss matters here. You almost exclusively "full on attack", not me. I have provided a wealth of links. You provide your opinion. If you want to move the needle, you will have to go below the surface. Sok is a good example of providing in depth opinions, facts, and links.

14. Sokolov

I don't know if it was a plant or not, but the Bush campaign has said that she's never been a paid member, but has volunteered at various events.

Was she an actual operative? I don't know. I wouldn't put it past politicians to do this sort of thing in general, so it's certainly believable.

The article itself is mostly a buzzfeed type of thing, scant on actual journalism, mostly conjecture and repeating itself and editorializing.

Oh, and I don't even know how it comes to the conclusion that CNN is somehow involved (there is literally no attempt to justify this assertion, other than the fact that CNN reported on the debate and the exchange... which happened all over the internet and news media... it's news, it gets reported on).

~

There, I responded to the plant story.

DarkJello likes this.
  15. Sokolov

I disagree. Most his policy positions seem half-baked or unrealistic. He is running this campaign like a publicity stunt rather than as a candidate. Again, I think it's been effective so far, but that says more about America than it does about Trump, imo.

BurnPyro likes this.
  16. DarkJello

I link a few relevant articles. Hardly spamming. Why do I need to personally comment on every detail of every vid or article? They stand or fall on their own merits. You can read/watch or not, as u desire.

Anything I link is important to this thread. Why would I knowingly add useless info?

17. Sokolov

Honestly, that girl just seems like a political groupie who feels important by being around important people. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people she posed with had no real idea who she even was.

18. DarkJello

Many of his policies make sense to me. Better trade. Less corporate inversion. Actual immigration enforcement. No more illegal sanctuary cities. Simpler tax code. No nukes for Iran. Replace Obamacare.

I agree on his campaign. And I agree it remains effective.

Time will tell if he can remain relevant.

19. Sokolov

You don't have to comment on anything you don't want to, but honestly, you'd have to go a LONG LONG way to comment on every detail, since you mostly link and post nothing or a one-liner. Then when I responded with multiple paragraphs to the Trump tax plan, for example, you respond with that I only replied to a tiny part of it and asked me to respond to all of it. Then when I did, you ignored it, and continue to ignore it.

My point is that you made a jab at us by suggesting that it's "curious" that we didn't respond to a specific thing, as though we have some agenda or are avoiding something.

The truth is you link a lot, and there is plenty of stuff that doesn't get responded to, and plenty of stuff that does. And plenty of stuff that we have responded to that you then ignore.

It just seems utterly inconsistent to not say much about the stuff you link, call other people out for not responding in the way you expect or not responding to a specific article, and then turn around now and say "you can read/watch or not."

I don't even know how to explain how inconsistent and awkward this is to me.

20. DarkJello

You might be right. I find this matter very interesting. If, and that is a big if, they truly can link her to Jeb or Rubio... It is a political grenade. Peeps will perish.

This is why I linked it. Maybe I am making too big a deal of it. [shrugs]