Discussing American politics as civil human beings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Sep 13, 2015.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

You said "Obummer", thus some will never take you serious on anything ever again. Or so they keep telling me. Lo siento carnal.

Silly words for fun, but the core issues are serious as shiz and not going to be solved by the fake caring of the establishment.

Way too many Americans are beyond ignorant of the world, which seems to be just how big gov wants it. But a mvt is finally afoot.

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Oh, well ... bummer.

DarkJello likes this.
  3. DarkJello

Gonna make my main point again, because you keep pretending not to understand.

Republicans "approving" of GW Bush is not the same as declaring he was an "extremely good president".

I refuted your initial claim. Again.

I do think approval ratings matter, which is why I linked to them in the first place. You have a penchant for making incorrect polticial claims. Don't shoot the messenger. And please stop claiming I said things that I never did. (Like the statement about approval ratings). Knocking down strawmans is getting old. I can watch Fox or CNN if I want to be inundated with such tactics.

Baskitkase likes this.
  4. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Think it's more Gallows Humor. Trying to release tension/frustration in a non-destructive manner.

DarkJello likes this.
  5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I wasn't making a political claim. You are just missing the point, which I have explained over and over in this thread.

Honestly, between the two of us, you are the one who loves hyperbole and self-contradictions anyway.

6. Sokolov

Fixed it for you.

7. DarkJello

I am satisfied with my refutation of your claim.

Honestly, I am sticking to the facts as close as I can. No need to slide towards ad hominem.

8. Sokolov

I am glad you found a way to rationalize your misunderstanding of the discussion.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  9. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Booya!

10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I like how there are only 2 points of view. Americans and 'the rest of the world'. I never knew 'the rest of the world' was in such accord.

SPiEkY and Baskitkase like this.
  11. Sokolov

@DarkJello

Let me try again, since you don't seem to understand what's happening here.

The general view of Bush Jr outside of the US is unfavorable. Most outside of the US don't understand how he got elected to a 2nd term at all.

Yet, the fact that he did, and the fact that he enjoyed at least a 50% approval rating for most of his presidency, and for much of it much higher, shows the disconnect between how the rest of the world views Bush and how Americans view Bush, particularly amongst Republicans.

The fact that he lost approval with some portion Republicans late in his term does not refute these facts, especially since the majority of Republicans still approved of him at the end (as shown by BOTH our statistics).

I find it amusing you accuse me of missing the point on the things you discuss, and then you choose to focus on specific word choices here while missing the big picture, even after I have explained it numerous times.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    DarkJello likes this.
  12. Sokolov

It's not, and no one said it was. The US isn't even in accord, as demonstrated by the data shown here.

13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I didn't say it was always successful.

14. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Ah, politics ... Because I didn't already want to burn my face off with a blowtorch. How depressing can this planet even get anymore

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. DarkJello

(Highlighting my addition).

I agree with your analysis 100%. I view GW Bush unfavorably, and have for more than 8.5 years now.

Thank you for not giving up on the topic. I am a stubborn old fool at times. My apologies. Seems we cleared this up with sheer determination.

16. Sokolov

I do admit that after your initial reply I knew you were focused on my word choice there, which is admittedly not very precise and normally I would just admit that, but I ran with it because I was annoyed with you =P

So I apologize as well.

(As for your addition, that is one area where the Gallup data differs from your's. For Gallup, it doesn't show that Bush drops below 50% consistently til mid-2005, more than halfway through his presidency, so there's some wiggle room there it appears. But your edit is certainly easy to corroborate and still makes the point.)

DarkJello likes this.
  17. DarkJello

A robot and a cactus entered a bar together...

I challenge you other folks to finish the joke and make it dang funny!!

18. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Perhaps not what you want to hear, but it can, and at current rate will, get much worse. Fortunately, that's not a locked thing, or not entirely, and there are things people can do to make it better.

19. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

A Robot and a Cactus walk into a bar, they enjoy several drinks and share a good time. Suddenly a man wakes up from bed and turns to his wife, "Hey Lucy" he says. "I had this weird dream about a Robot and a Cactus" his wife turns away without saying a word. The man lies down again, closes his eyes and weeps silently at the ruin of his marriage.

DarkJello likes this.
  20. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

To be fair, BP, she was the governor of Alaska. Aka a place where the closest to nothing happens as is humanly possible. Her responsibilities as governor could probably be written on a post-it note.