Discussion: Announcement & Preview Expansion 25

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Redfist/Bluefist?

SPiEkY likes this.
  2. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Ayla and Thor the Boar?

SPiEkY likes this.
  3. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

noooo, the two creatures in the featured artwork are two completely seperate runes.

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Timmy and Boghopper Zombie?

SPiEkY and Kampel like this.
  5. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Azaren and Tusk?

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Guyz, don't rain on their parade. This is a time to be excited about the new cool thing. Focus on the kewl birds.

7. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Is it easyer this way? like is lore easyer to blend, is it cheaper get them done, easyer to code being the same image, etc?

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Do I have to?
    [​IMG]

SPiEkY, Thbigchief and Sirius like this.
  9. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

They ment first time a dual art for runes from different factions. ha!

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I actually meant to say that it isn't the first one. I didn't even notice when Chief replied that I had typo'd it because his reply could also be to what I thought I had typed :D

I don't consider stuff like Azaren dual art just because it's more of a, "Here is his pet" kind of thing.

11. Sokolov

But yea, the birds is basically a Redfist/Bluefist composition, and there are more of them coming. They look really cool actually :D

Thbigchief likes this.
  12. Poxjedi

Poxjedi I need me some PIE!

Sok, can you give a ballpark time frame on when it will be released?

13. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

To be fair, Redfist+ Bluefist art looks cool. I especially like Redfist's pose.

14. Thbigchief

[​IMG]- All good, to be honest I think everyone loved the redfist/bluefist made for wallpaper type art style. Hey maybe it saves in art cost too! Do ur thing

15. Sokolov

Nope. Still a ways out, but we were excited to start showing some stuff.

Iskandak likes this.
  16. Thbigchief

- Lore teaser? Like is it a Hitchock expansion? Y deez birdz so mad?

DarkJello likes this.
  17. Masterfoni

Masterfoni New Member

Redfist+bluefist art is really cool, but.. when it comes to the in-game hero sprite, i hate it. I really hate all the tortun battle mystic-like sprites, they follow a very different pattern than the other runes, please keep the pixelized sprites! :D

Skeezick likes this.
  18. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

redo monolith sprite

19. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

My thoughts:

(1) There's nothing wrong with releasing an expansion to make money. DOG is entitled to pay their bills.

(2) @Sokolov has made a lot of progress, imo. Sure, we can all think about particular runes or themes we'd like to improve or change, but there was a huge amount of rework/damage control to do after the revamp and fixing that will take time.

(3) It's unrealistic to expect that EVERY rune and/or EVERY theme will be meta-playable. A deck that is artificially restricted to a certain theme will never be as good as a deck that can select from every rune in a faction, and nothing will change that reality.

(4) Focusing on themes is a design mistake. Instead, we should focus on (1) maximizing the diversity among meta runes and meta playstyles and (2) increasing the accessibility of those runes. If met, those goals create meaningful choices when building a deck, introduce uncertainty about what runes or strategies an opposing player might select, and ensure that those choices and strategies are available to newer players.

Themes won't accomplish these goals. Instead, they give players a choice among decks (e.g. moga vs. poison vs. voil, etc.), but each theme bg ends up looking the same (e.g., voil decks almost always have a core set of champions that are consistent between bgs). A better strategy would be to focus on small, 4-6 rune modules that work together (slag overmind w/ cyclonic fesh, moga cannons and sappers, old centaur skirmishers and carn vines, etc.) and then let players build bgs from those modules.

PS: Does the art remind anyone else of Birds of Paradise from MTG?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    DarkJello and Moles like this.
  20. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

This is a good point regarding themes, I think they have taken away a lot from more inventive deck building.

But ultimately, a lot of people enjoy themes and they shouldn't be abandoned. There is perhaps a compamise to be had here.

Moles likes this.