Discussion: Constructs

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Markoth, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

So, in general people think Constructs should have the largest selection of abilities, stat variations, and in and out of faction defined roles due to their ability to be 'constructed" for any job? So we should expect, and promote designs that offer unique advantages to the faction similar to the pult, or bring a quality that is rare for us/thegame like rock eater or mirrored?

Mechanic wise, how do they go about playing that is different and just as importantly how do they fit into the faction? Mechanically, what or how do they respond to summon/champ spam, super champs, spells, equipment, etc.

2. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

Constructs are pretty solid right now. They lack good in-theme range besides Protector, and lack in-theme detection, but otherwise they're pretty fun.

Siege Engine could probably use a bit of a buff to be more attractive, it seems like it could be a solid ranged unit, but is outclassed by Dwarven Catapult due to its utility.

Faultbreaker feels sorta underwhelming for a titan. He's a big pile of HP, but for 100+ nora he's weirdly easy for the opponent to ignore. I feel like Rugolth's Revenge gives you way more bang for your buck if you're dropping a ton of nora into a 2x2 melee champ.

Personally, I wish Silverclan Hoplite was competitive because his sprite is cool and I like his concept.

That's all off the top of my head.

Also, I'm kind of worried what a 2x2 nerf is going to do to constructs.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  3. Lubanja

Lubanja Member

I think it is a little late in the design phase to worry about what constructs "should" be. Just look at what they are and make a few small tweaks to make them competitive/interesting.

4. Tarth

Not really, considering that they are making changes on the fly, especially when all the building blocks are there and only minor changes would be needed.

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Give either tinker or engineer a new ability called Overcharge 'Em. Target construct gains Berserker and Short-Lived.

6. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

that ability used to exist in the form of "enhance construct: constructs within 6? spaces gain +1 dam +5 hp, death nova physical and sacrifice" and it was the only ability besides drive that the dwarven handler had. sadly the ability never worked right so it was never used.

7. sassquatch

constructs don't counter so much as overwhelm. if you are summing like mad they can do that too. if you build a super champ they build a super champ. they are a slow build up deck that uses the early game ap to summon meat shields to stall and then mid/late game ap to buff other champs into mini superchamps. the only current in theme weakness is champ based detection. on the flip side tho we have UV to crutch and a few forms of pseudo detection in the form of trample and other such abilities. they also have several options for surprise factor utility like the catapult to improve positioning or the CWS to counter summons with swarms or magnetic rover to harass your opponents ap gen and prevent spot removal. the one thing that most hampers deck design tho is the heavy handed application of unequipable and lethargic/lumbering.

pallys seem to out heal and wear down the opponent. barbs are just in your face awesome damage dealers. constructs bring the unconventional utility to out build the opponent.

8. sassquatch

9. Tarth

it was 2-3 spaces and would always hurt the engineer.

Grand General Mosh likes this.
  10. sassquatch

was that the problem? I thought it was that sac didn't trigger the death nova due to coding issues and the death and removal from the "buff radius" would happen b4 the nova. not that I played around with constructs a that point to say for certain anyways. oh well it wasn't the best mechanic for the theme anyways since it lacked viable targets at the time. I think it might be a cool ability to slightly redesign and implement at this point tho.

11. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I always thought constructs needed a goresplosion spell.

Nora : 40?

- "Self destruct" : Sacrifice target real champion you own. All enemy champions within 3 squares are distracted 3, take 10 fire damage and are knocked back 1 space. If sacrificed champion is a construct it gains soulsift.

Pipster likes this.
  12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I don't get destroy tactics on real champs in a buildup and heal deck.

Death nova crabs would be ok, otherwise the objective is that it lives to protect the protector another day.

Grand General Mosh likes this.
  13. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

You could give the minimum death benefit present in constructs a slight boost to give the theme something else, I mean, we have groble bombardment, melt down, a groble dervish that used to be short lived...

14. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Give the Groble from Bombardment a Death Nova.
    It's obviously meant to be a suicide bomber anyway.

15. Tarth

that too, but it would still death nova in the engineers face when it was killed normally.

16. Grand General Mosh

Grand General Mosh Devotee of the Blood Owl

The former point is actually one of my biggest peeves with Constructs at the moment. Everything ELSE about the theme is 'Survive" while Spare Parts and Melt Down are Death Benefit.

I'm also irked that we have STILL not graced the battlefields with a set of Constructs that can transform/combine. The coding is already partially there in the various form-change abilities and the Merge ability on the Stitched.

17. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Transformers would be cool. I now want a Silverclan Prime

18. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Well for starts, on constructs, give the "cavalier" detection and make him good for his cost to make him interesting to seek as an Legend.

I say removal of slam is in order and in its place, unleash. I have always seen cripple as a wind up unit but now it seems like he needs it more than ever. Changing the charge tree needs to happen aswell. I think in favor of hit and run or mobility with a detection option. I would personally start with slam for unleash.

19. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

one thing I always hated about cavalier was the combination of unleash and corosive grenade, because you give him ways to increase his damage a lot and then a fixed damage bomb.

20. sassquatch

cripple needs to first get corrosive grenade removed from the game and just get acid bomb in its place. 1 less ability for noobs to learn and a more intuitive ability in its place since the only difference between the 2 is amount of damage dealt.