Discussion: Final Patch of 2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

It's the relic for the FW sporegill thing (tomb sentinel).

Change was to avoid seism.

2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Props on Twisted Emerald btw. Really fun and interesting rune.

Understandable, I just want to make sure that with this particular constraint in mind, you don't damage any one particular faction's capabilities vis a vis the other factions.

I fully acknowledge that my perspective may be a bit off here, and if you like I can do some more research and put together more of a case for why FS got hit harder here vs. the other factions. (Or discover I am wrong and admit as much).

DarkJello likes this.
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If you'd like, I always appreciate feedback. But it's quite possible that in any specific patch, a particular faction got hit more. No, not just possible, but I am CERTAIN this happens, because I don't go out of my way to make sure it's all "even." It's not the goal.

In this case, keep in mind too that this is the second pass (and not the last) on the non-champion runes, and I am pretty sure I nerfed only a couple of the FS ones last time (Nora Weave and PHS), while some other factions like FW got a lot more adjustments in the positive direction that patch.

DarkJello likes this.
  4. doubtofbuddha

Yeah, my intent was to go back and look at the last patch too. Looking at just this patch would be a failure of analysis. I was also considering looking at the meta spell situation in general, but that would probably require more data than I actually have.

5. Sokolov

Part of what I do too sometimes is when I nerf something is consider in the opposite direction - would I buff it to what it is now? If there's not a compelling case for the buff... then the nerf has a decent chance of being ok. It's not like a rule or anything, but sometimes it helps to look at it from that perspective.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  6. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

seism, storm reader, sacrifice of delim, whirling stones, void shield, scouring luminescence, divine healing, relic guardian, summon hive, revere icesnap, amplify, battle drum, vulnerable.

all of these changes are horrible. this is a endless cycle... the people making changes dont understand the games pvp at all.

7. Tweek516

I think amp may have been over nerfed, but the rest of the changes seem good.

8. Sokolov

See, this is why I can't take you seriously when you just list off a bunch of "nerfs" and say it's all terrible with no explanation or context.

It's especially funny you listed Scouring Luminescence, which was not on a champion until this patch, and costed 0 nora. Did you think it should be added to a champ at 0 nora?

Gnomes, Tweek516 and DarkJello like this.
  9. GameJack

GameJack The King of Potatoes

Restricting Luminescence

• Nora Cost decrease (-2)
      • Description: Champions within 5 spaces have Unequippable.
    Previously this ability is on Crystal Yeti but the patch replaced it with Draining Luminescence.

Cannot locate the champion/ relic having Restricting Luminescence after the patch

10. doubtofbuddha

I am still not sure why this being sometimes double casted means that it is worth a +5 nora increase. You acknowledge yourself that the spell is situational. The reason it was run so much is that other AoE spells in FS are not really that great and having aoe spell options in a bg is very valuable. Like it was already close to the worst faction from an available AoE spell perspective and this sort of pushes it down even more.

Going through the factions:
    ST has Gale Force (50 nora, aoe 2 6 dmg, but usually generates more because knockback), Frigid Barrier (40 nora, effects font/limited targetting, 14 dmg, frozen, creates ice and blocks access to fond), Ice Storm (50 nora, aoe 4, 10 cold damage, ice, chilled 2, grounded)
    KF has Nature's Wrath (45 nora, AoE 3, 10 damage def debuff), Stellar Horizon (40 nora, aoe 5 limited targeting, 10 dmg, healing), and Thorn Collection (50 nora, aoe 3, refund)
    IS has Bane Blast (40 nora, aoe 2, 12 dmg, extra damage for condition) and Earthquake (45 nora, AoE 4, 10 dmg, does not hit flyers, drains AP)
    FS has Font Eruption (50 nora, effects all fonts and deployment zones, 12 dmg) and Monsoon (40 nora, aoe3, 8 physical damage, grounded, rough terrain)

Forsaken Waste has Anathema (50 nora, 12 dmg, defiled and decaying for 6 turns), Arcane Enervation (40 nora, 10 damage, limited targetting also curses), Desceration (25 nora, aoe 5, 5 dmg, 10 damage to relics and shrines), Festering Wounds (50 nora, diseased 4, global only hits injured champions)
    Shattered Peaks has Avalanche (45 nora, aoe 3, 10 damage, grounded, push back 1), Bad Blood (45 nora, 15 to target and 8 to all champions that share a race with the target), and Lightning Storm (45 nora, 10 damage, shocked 2, double damage to units in water)
    Sundered Lands has Acid Storm (45 nora, aoe 3, 10 damage, scoured 2), Burning Sands (45 nora, aoe 3, 12 damage, charred 3 if on sand), Firestorm (50 nora, aoe 3, 14 damage and charred 3), Sandstorm (35 nora, aoe 4, 7 damage, sandblasted), Tornado (40 nora, aoe 2, 12 damage, 20 damage to relics)
    Underdepths has Fiery Ambush (40 nora, targets font, creates fire walls in font, minimum 12 fire damage + charred 2), Fire Blast (45 nora, aoe 2, 12 fire damage and charred 2), Hellfire (35 nora, 10 fire damage to target, 5 fire damage to other champions in area, also charred 3), Maddening Echoes (35 nora, variable damage based on the number of real champions in area), Superiority (45 nora, aoe 6, limited targetting, does not effect same race as target)

So based on this list FS clearly has and probably had the worst aoe options. You could argue that Font Eruption hit too big of an area or had the chance of hitting too many champions but it was completely and utterly predictable. It was played and probably still will be played because of the fact that if FS wants to do significant aoe damage (sometimes, when they walk into the trap or when the map is in their favor) it has no real other alternatives. It is not crowding out other aoe spells, because there are no other real options. If it is no longer played, it basically means you are taking away a capability from FS.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Ifem21 and DarkJello like this.
  11. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Sok and Buddha had an excellent back and forth r/t nerfs and such in FS. I gots to recognize that I am not at their level of communicating with civility.

(Goes back to ghost mode).

Anima26 and Cydna like this.
  12. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Shouldnt Fascinating Sapphire be 25 nora instead of 35? comparing it to.. guardian's treasure at 30nora kind of makes you wonder how much "nora gem" modifies its cost

13. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

storm reader just got + nora instead of getting synergy with hyaenids, seism is still way too strong against expensive relics and relic champs, sacrifice delim was already mediocre, whirling stones overnerfed, void shield ruined, divine healing was already strong, relic guardian was already mediocre, skeezick anthromancer already sucked, revere icesnap was already mediocre, battle drum was fine, amp and vulnerables were costed fine.

i assumed scouring cost increase was a cost increase on the scour relic that is currently fine.

14. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

alot of stuff in this game is costed wrong.

15. Tweek516

I still think guardians treasure is bloated.

The general for relics like this is two abilities, while it has 3 for some reason.

I vote removing fascinate /majestic, perhaps with a cost decrease to the dragon (though it might not even need it).

16. Sokolov

I guess I don't look at it narrowly as AE options, but rather, spell options. It's true that in most decks you need some kill enabling spells, but AEs is not the only type of spell that can fit that slot.

I'd consider things like PHS, Drown to compete for this slot. And I think reasonably you can add Undertow and even CC spells like Reverberating Blast to be competitors for this spell slot. Because the point of this spell slot is really about securing kills.

Granted, if you are narrowly considering slots solely for basic AEs, then sure, yea.

17. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

guardians treasure is already a mediocre relic even in dragon/beast theme. the dragon isnt really worth using anymore after the void shield nerfs.

18. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

I also feel like the amp price increase was a bit high. Mainly because usually amp decks have a lot of amp in them.... yeah that sounds stupid. Basically when you have like 3~5 amp champions in your deck, which you can probably easily do in factions like ST. You are suddenly paying 12-20 nora more for your "setup" over the course of the game, which seems like a lot. But eh, just a gut feeling.

19. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Yeah corpse isn't even close to his former glory anymore, with locust swarm nerfed he was became decent with all the price hikes he's still okay just not overpowered like before. Zombies just have better cheaper options though i fee like.

20. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Hit the nail on the head with murkwater frenzy, i wanted the multi racial to go as did many people. Multi attack on range champs is a bad idea.