Discussion: Patch Notes July 11th 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Downside for abilities is they are really hard to cost in general.

I mean, do you charge the same for Strength of Body on a 10hp champ as you do on a 100hp champ?

Do you charge the same for Soulsift on a 30 nora champion as you do on a 100 nora champ?

I get the feeling balance will eventually require a detailed look at every rune and how much synergy the abilities grant. I mean, it is literally not possible to price abilities statically when their value is so dynamic.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I hope no one expected otherwise?

3. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Problem is, as Fikule also pointed, that the new formula apparently is a bit wonky as not all the champions got the same treatment, and many are still as bad as they were before the update.

As example, someone said the stitched monolith is super-cheap because it have 0 dmg and strength of boy. However, the experimental warspirit also have 0dmg (but soulstrike), and it still cost 90n.

What the Sheoul?

4. Fikule

Well, no.

But I always hoped that a lot of it could be automated. Like we'd have abilities with dynamic prices. If you placed Soulsift on a champion, it would price itself based on how good it is on the champion by costing itself based on the nora cost and any other relevant factors necessary.

I mean, that's a lot of programming. So I am not sure which would be quicker.

5. Sokolov

I am not sure what you mean by "not all the champions got the same treatment" as I am pretty sure the adjustment applied across the board.

Also, if you remove Lumbering from Monolith it goes to 88 nora.

Tarathil likes this.
  6. Fikule

And isn't lumbering ;)

But yeah, get what you mean.

Also, holy quote batman, you went from 88 to 89 nora so fast.

7. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yeah, as Jib said a lot of it is kneejerk reaction and will require analysis and playtest, that's the standard. What troubles me honestly is how apparently all Heroes are sub 100 nora now, amongst other examples (Chrono at 80 nora is pretty loltastic).

8. Fikule

Xulos is still 103 and Serky-McJerky is 104.

Moragen is 93 though :)

9. Sokolov

Do you think they were playable above 100?

10. Pedeguerra

I do, yes.

Edit: as said, though, this is all kneejerk reaction, playtesting is required. But high cost champs were always playable post revamp, they just required more nora management and strategy to be played, which I think is a good thing.

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. Fikule

Eep. I advise people to not look at any treefolk.

(And by this I obviously mean "Go look at the treefolk!")

12. Sokolov

I feel like it was fairly consistent that the higher end of the costing was too high, which made the cheap champs even cheaper relatively speaking. It might be that some are too low now, particularly since most Heroes have more internal synergy than others, but at a glance I think this new baseline is going to increase BG diversity.

13. Fikule

Thirion got down to 103 nora at least, thank frond.

14. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Most of them are back at a point where it's more manageable, especially when you consider what they lost in the revamp (klzik comes to mind).

Then I see a 78 nora Sceain and I don't get it. Or Euan randomly to 80. Vindrax losing about 20 nora. It's odd.

15. Pedeguerra

Oh yeah, definetely Sokobro. Change was required and the cost formula is 100% Warfoot approved.
    Tweaking will be necessary, and that is part of the process.
    However, I think it's safe to say next step is proper costing of abilities, and then final tweaking on champs.

yobanchi likes this.
  16. Sokolov

@Jib, I don't think it's odd at all that you are seeing some stuff that doesn't make balance sense, because the adjustment was to the stat formula baseline.

17. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Stitched monolith got a huge nora cost reduce, iirc.

Experimental warspirit remained roughly the same in cost.
    They didn't slapped (iirc) lumbering to lower its cost after this update, so if both champions retained roughly the same stats and abilities, how one of them got a nora cost reduce, and the other not?

18. Pedeguerra

See, this is exactly what I was talking about.

19. Sokolov

The update was to the stat costing formula.

So what this means is that, say, 6 SPD and 7 SPD costed 12 and 18 nora previously (I made these numbers up), maybe they cost 9 and 16 now. Since the Monolith and the Warspirit have different base stats, their costs changed by different amounts.

20. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Yeah I'm getting that, I'm just not seeing how it "balances" things out.

Then again I'm only looking at extremes. "Middle" ground stuff seems to be a 1-3 nora swing either way. That is obviously working as intended.

Major case of we don't know what we want, yet again.