Discussion: Patch Notes July 11th 2014

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Spot on, bud. Specially on the part that people weren't ready to pay for things. Heck, even Sokobro asked me if over 100 nora units were runnable pre cost revamp.
    Either way, now that at least there is a costing formula, more steps need to be followed. My opinion:
    1) Adjust the blatanly out of line champions these new revamp brought to life. Stuff like this also drives people away, and even though our goal is to attract new players, we cant afford loosing the current playerbase;
    2) Adjust cost of abilities;
    3) Go to town on everything else.

2. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Serkan still to expensive to be worth it imo. At his cost speed 7 should be auto and Teleport changed to rank 1. (and his LE and Exo versions are different in abilities/upgrades and cost)
    Collection of Souls is 90 nora now. Even at the 70-something it was not really worth running.
    Polluted Martyr is far to cheap.
    Haunting Spirit should proberly go up to 40 nora again.
    CrossBone seems to expensive at his new cost (and I still dont get the Domain DMZ upgrade)

Stitched:
    Matriarch FAR to expensive
    First is also far to expensive.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I mean, I look at Moga Slinger (I know you said cheap stuff in general, I just picked a random moga), it has a basic attack and ghernbound. And then default upgrades of Hinder Movement and MA1. It has 4-6 range which is really good, but 7 DMG and 32 HP. It costs 51... but you are saying it worth closer to 80 nora? And then we have an actual champ that is close to 80 nora in the Quillquip who has 4 base abilities plus a ranged DoT with better stats than the Moga... I am not sure how much you can realistically cost the Moga Slinger and not have it seem blatantly overcosted. Some other cheap stuff might be undercosted, of course, but again, it seems like it's specific runes more than a general issue?

Also, let's say, hypothetically, the cost formula was shifted so that most runes got +10 nora. Would you be generally happier with the update?

Note that I tend to think most abilities will go up in cost... so we will likely get a 5-10 nora adjustment on average anyway.

~

Also, another thing to consider is that part of the powercreep were not just champion costs... but the increased nora generation Corpse implemented.

4. Sokolov

I fully expect something of this nature to occur :)

5. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Arbitrarily is just a different word for purposefully designed. If say humans in IS were generally faster ( 6-7spd) champions with low to average damage/hp/def compared to dwarfs who were generally slower ( 5-6spd) but had average to high hp, and def with low to average damage. You could call that arbitrarily cheaper/more expensive for associated stats or you could just accept that Dwarfs are slower and more sturdy with cheaper hp.def stats compared to humans who have cheaper spd stats. A human could for example have the same hp of a dwarf but would have to pay more then the dwarf did to get to the same level. Like wise a 7spd dwarf COULD exist, but be much rarer and more expensive.

This would effectively help give each race a template for stats that helps define them. No more 7spd dwarfs in full plate armor keeping up with Mr. Jones treehugger elf just for giggles. Now class/role would also help influence the stat make up and along with race control ability pools, but race would predominantly have to do with stat ratios.

Now as an example moga can be 30-50 nora like they are now, but they wouldn't be 12damage since their stat window would be locked to a lower threshold. Draksars like wise would most likely not be cheap since they are effectively the super soldiers of the POXNORA world. They would have the associated limits of their pre tainted race, in this case humans, but with their taint would then have access to high hp/def lvls for a lower price or a higher average lvl for the same price. If Humans could have 1-2 def for the " normal game wide price" A draksar could go as high as 3 or 4 for the same game wide standard price.

EDIT: Lets say defense has a game wide standard price of 2 nora per 1 def. Humans could have 1 or 2 defense at that exchange rate. Dwarfs could have 1-3, and Draksars 2-4 ( forcing a higher price). If a Human wanted 3 defense that last +1 defense stat would cost more, say +4 instead.

For the more trash champions like moga who are suppose to be worthless in small numbers, they would have say a max of 1 or even 0 defense at the standard price range. That way they might stay in the 30-50 range but they wont be anywhere close to a 70+ nora champion in terms of stats.

It would work for any stat with Demons getting access to cheaper damage or ST having cheaper hp or whatever floats your boat. It would just be a way to make each race actually different at a base lvl.

Does that make any sense?

6. Sokolov

My point was that why would you want say... HP to cost more on Barbs and less on Moga, but SPD to cost less on barbs and more on Moga. How do you decide that? What's balanced/designed here? I mean, at least with one formula everyone is playing by the same rules and if you have less HP, you cost less.

So different races would have different kinds of stat configs, but changing the race wouldn't make the cost bounce around - which I am not just sure the purpose of. You don't need to have different costs for the same stats to make specific decisions about the stat range of specific themes?

EDIT: See post further down below before replying :D

7. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

No one mention, and i'm a bit surprised, a Master Axeman at

*Drum rolls*

65 nora! 69 with Hunter: wrath

I realy love this rune but...it is a bit less ^^'

8. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

Tarth that makes sense and I think soko would agree but the way you worded it before made it seem Like you wanted to make speed more expensive for dwarfs just because they were dwarfs, which would have been dumb

Wait, or is that what you are saying?

9. Sokolov

Summon Axe seems to be 0 nora right now... so :D Expect that to change!

10. Sokolov

You know, I think what Tarth is saying would make more sense to me if we said...

All champions have 40 nora to allocate to base stats, and some races got bonuses to specific stats so that they are cheaper - which makes more configurations possible for that race within the specified nora cost that reflects the theme's strengths.

But I think we can achieve the same thing without doing that, just by saying "Ferren never more than 8 DMG, spend the stat nora on some other stat" or in the case of expensive rare 7 SPD dwarf, if we said "All dwarves have at least 50 HP and 2 DEF" then by definition, any dwarf with 7 SPD ALSO would just have to be expensive.

11. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

Ghost bear thirion bg inbound for me.

Can't wait til I get home to look at other stuff, not that I'll need it with 84 Nora ghost bear.

12. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

So yeah, something good came out of this: I can finally use my beloved Harbinger for 80 nora! Yay.
    Joke aside, one of the plethora examples.

Cydna likes this.
  13. Sokolov

Keeping in mind everything is relative, what would you say a barebones ranged unit like the Harbinger should actually cost? As a comparison, it costs just 7 nora less than say... the Songmaster which is a 3-5 ranged unit with a bunch more utility (which actually makes the Songmaster look undercosted, rather than the Harbinger being undercosted to me).

Right now, the Harbinger pays 12 nora for abilities and 68 nora for those stats. Do you think the stats should cost more? Flight is probably low for 6 nora right now.

Aside: Does anyone remember or have a screenshot of what the Harbingers were when they were launched?

14. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

Summon Axe only works IF someone else has Axeman's Fate equipped, right? Other than that it is a worthless ability. I've never used it before. Other than that he does not have any other base abilities. Ability path 1: Throw Axe, Hunter: Unnatural, Hunter: Wrath. Upgrade path 2: Provision, Craft. Even his upgrade abilities aren't that great. 60-69 nora looks about right to me. What puts him over the top is the equipment, Axeman's Fate, but that adds an extra 25 nora to him. Seems about right to me.

15. Tarth

Im saying, that the Moga slinger with its 7 dmg, 6spd, 4-6 range, 0 def, and 32 base hp, in conjunction with its abilities ( multi 1/ hinder movement base) for 51 nora is indeed closer to a 70 nora champion then I would like.

I mean there are multiple champions who have very similar dmg, def, damage out puts that cost 10+ nora more but way worse cost vs effect ratios. Ghern bound isn't really that big of a draw back considering Ghern are supporting from 4-6 spaces away and now you have 3 champions for the same price of 2 from the other guy. Move on to another moga or kanen or any sub 70 unit and most do not pale in comparison that badly to the higher priced units.

Maybe its more the damage lvls then anything that are the issue? Im looking through the moga line up and they all seem to have fairly average damage when under overseer. Their biggest weakness seems to be hp values.

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Now let the pendulum swing a bit back the other way. On a positive note, I see a good bit of progress and have more belief in the algorithm than I did previously.

This is just first impressions.

17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Lol.

18. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

Yeah I misunderstood what he was saying and after reading his edit I disagree with the concept 100%. Way too complicated for no reason

19. Tarth

That is what I am saying. Because they are dwarfs, they should be built based on a dwarf template which would prioritize other stats over spd resulting in higher speed prices outside their racially set norm. So if I dwarf wanted ot be a 7spd unit, it would have ot pay more for that tick from 6 to 7spd then say a human or elf would. So the end result turns out to be Dwarfs, as a race are slower, but more sturfy, elfs are faster, but have lower hp/def pool, Moga are cheaper but have lower all around stats, Treefolk are slow, but very strong and sturdy. Each race should feel unique and with its own strong and weak points. At the very least it would make each faction seem more unique as their races start covering each others weak spots or showing a faction wide designed strength.

20. Sokolov

So the Slinger gets -8 for Ghernbound, and 6 for Hinder and 8 for MA1. I feel like Hinder might be low since it's CD1, but it is 50% damage and the Slinger it doesn't give him a ranged attack (tho it does allow him to attack within his min range).

So the Fae Oracle is one such champ that have similar stats at 83 nora... but... 34 nora worth of abilities.

It almost seems like maybe what you want is for Moga to have more sandbag abilities? :D (or, as I keep asking about, just for everything to cost about 10 nora more)