Discussion: Pox Nora at PlayStation Experience Event

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Nov 29, 2016.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Going to attach a big giant WTF to this extremely random statement and the idea that gaming businesses somehow deal with the president

2. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

From what I understand, the trading limitation on PS4 is a Playstation limitation, not a Pox programming omission. The accounts aren't really linked. When you submit request to transfer, it is a one-time thing. Then when a new release comes out, you need to decide to purchase on PC or PS4, but they will ONLY appear on whichever one you purchase them on, not the other. This is also a rule from Playstation, as they do not make any money on PC purchases, but they do get a percentage of purchases on PS4. This is the disadvantage of marketing with Playstation, the same limitations would appear on XBox and Wii, if we went that direction. The runes you purchase on PS4 will be through the Playstation Store, not through DOG.

I had a similar issue with Nintendo with Rock Band on Wii. All song purchases were done through the Wii store, not directly through Harmonix (Rock Bank developer). The Wii store stopped supporting the Rock Band songs, so you could not re-download your songs your previously purchased or purchases new songs because they were all purchased through Wii store, not Harmonix. You also could not transfer your songs to Playstation or XBox versions. It was very painful to lose all those songs I spent all that money on. However, this has happened ever since online games/updates existed. I had the same issue with SOE (Pirates, owned every card they had, and they shut it down, also with Star Wars Galaxies, including the online card game). It happens on PC, Playstation, XBox and Wii. Bottom line, it is a limitation with the console, or the company that controls the purchases.

Verstehen sie?

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

@Gaedel pretty much got it. PSN is Sony's platform and it's basically their call - they decide what games make it on their and how those games work. This isn't something specific to Pox, it is their policy. Smite, for example, was handled the same way and Tencent (parent company of HiRez) is a much, much larger company than DOG is and would have had way more leverage. In general, this is not uncommon and I think you'd have a harder time finding examples of linked accounts between entities in this context. There are also technical and legal issues as you are now talking about 2 distinct legal entities both updating the same set of userdata - it's very messy from a number of perspectives.

Another thing is that originally they were going for separate servers - no PS4 vs PC play. And again, this too, is not uncommon for many multi-platform games. THIS is what we focused our leverage on, and we got them to agree to cross platform. This was a MUST have from our perspective and we got it.

The cloning allows existing PC players to populate a PS4 account with their data if they want, giving them an option to migrate if they so wish.

4. paul harris

paul harris The King of Potatoes

i have a question, this game is great but is not new player friendly on the basis that even though you just joined if you did pvp you can still end up going against alot higher ranks, i think its great being crossplatform
    and port our accounts over. but not for new players which is that not one of the main reasons going to psn get a new audiance. will there be a new ranking system to prevent this or a better intro into the game where you unable to do ranked?

5. Whiris

Whiris The King of Potatoes

Theoretically, once the game gets an influx of a ton of new players, the matchmaker would have an easier time finding someone of similar rank.

Anima26 likes this.
  6. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

so I guess u eventually have to choose an account. (still just speculating) psn or pc..
    I mean I guess u can have 2,,, but even if we have alts like here,, we all have a main.
    like if buy a campaign to get an non-tradable lim,,, I think peeps would want them all on 1 acc.

7. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

can PSN and pc users trade together? i read they can fight together.

8. Excalibur95

can you freely swap your pc and PSN accounts back and forth whenever you like? im guessing no from what a green said something like you can do this only once? why?

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Short answer, Sony won't allow it. Long answer:

10. Excalibur95

sounds like PSN trading will be all kinds of fkd up... are they unable to collect the previous limited runes?

sorry for posting q's and thinkings across multiple threads.

11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Plenty of card games have done away with trading altogether and focused on the collecting, and it doesn't seem to have done Hearthstone or Pokemon any harm.

To be honest, at this point, I think trading can be more of a chore than anything - it is slow, it is confusing, it is frustrating to be ripped off.

I wonder if pox wouldn't be better off as a pure CCG.

Anima26 likes this.
  12. Nastyhobo

Nastyhobo The King of Potatoes

Sounds like PC will have a huge advantage over PS players around expansion times...

Can't wait to drink the tears of my victim console players!

13. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

Accounts will be duplicated (one on PC the other on PS4)? Or once I migrate to PS4, my PC account is erased?

Also, just to clarify. When you say PS4 accounts won't be able to trade, you mean PS4 players won't be able to trade with their peers? Or are you just talking about the PC-PS4 link?

14. Nastyhobo

Nastyhobo The King of Potatoes

It will just duplicate it, not erase anything on your PC account

They are saying trading doesn't exist on PS version at all

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

no ,, it wont be erased,,, but it will be like having 2 separate accounts,(after u clone it),,, if u gain things on one account,, it will not show a gain on your other account,,, but yea u can go back n forth and play on whatever one u want.

16. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

I see... They will probably make it up for the lack of trade with better forge ratios else it would make no sense to have a PS4 account. Would be hell to get the runes you want every expansion...

17. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

can you at least make it so you can clone your account multiple times? like buy everything on the PC, then just overwrite your old data? That would be MUCH better.

Also, the Japanese and the Chinese don't usually get along, I don't think we should cite Tencent as precedent for why something isn't pushed through on their end xD

18. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

making deals bra

19. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

@Sokolov can you comment on this. the free to play module has definitely improved a lot since you guys took over but definitely not enough that we could live without trading. soooo how are you guys approaching alternative rune acquisition. will rewards be better or will there be improved forge ratios

20. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The forge rates were already improved twice - there are no plans to adjust them again at this time. We'll be monitoring the data when it launches to see how people are interacting with the Forge, but do realize that veteran players are far more likely to be using the Forge because they have a stockpile of extras - most new players do not have very many extras and are reluctant to Shard any of their runes (this is also the case generally with other CCGs that have similar types of mechanics - you may have experienced this yourself when trying a new card game).

However, as I previewed, the packs are being updated and generally offer better rates - Shard packs are likely going to be available as well.