Discussion: Pox Nora on PlayStation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Jun 14, 2016.

1. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

So, [CLASSIFIED INFO] — that's it?
    Not even approved plans for something significant, just a client change?

Gnomes likes this.
  2. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Opponent nora will show up on the UI but won't be in the combat log unless you cast Black Ops. So still 2x auto.

Gnomes likes this.
  3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

This is big. Big influx of new players while simultaneously cleaning up the new user experience will have a big effect on player population which is the number 1 issue effecting the game.

Cleaning up the code makes it easier to add new features which will help keep things fresh and also gets rid of a ton of bugs.

Its about the best possible news. Only thing I would consider better would be an IOS and Android client.

JellyBerry, electus1, KingJad and 6 others like this.
  4. noamkeren

noamkeren I need me some PIE!

Right! i always wanted to play poxnora in my phone.
    You can play poxnora at school and wherever u get bored.

Qucas and Gnomes like this.
  5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

A client rebuild is about as significant as you can get. Seriously.

6. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

wow
    [​IMG]

I feel silly now for giving away all my runes :c

7. LoganMkv

Well, I can't really say anything about possible PS playerbase (tbh I've always thought the sole purpose of consoles was to play MK drunk at afterparties), but I really doubt it's going to change anything for PC base — for all these years, not a single one of people I tried to bring to pox complained about ui, but every single one complained about business model.

As for the code, client alone means nothing, it just renders stuff. If serverside was redone as well — now that's great, but without any confirmed plans that's still not enough to bring back old players.

Gnomes likes this.
  8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Supposably it will be crossplatform. PS and PC would be the same playerbase.

Gnomes likes this.
  9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Are you jokin', mate? I hear a small minority of people on the forums kvetch about the model, and everyone else I know talks about polish, bugs, and presentation.

JellyBerry, IMAGIRL and Gnomes like this.
  10. LoganMkv

Nah, I'm dead serious.
    People complaining about ui/ux usually either play the game anyway, or they never even had any intent to do it — they just open a tutorial/quickplay, find some stuff they think could be better (if nothing else, not being rewarded with a bj from some celeb with fireworks and orchestra for launching the game, will do), then proudly post it everywhere they can, and move to the next game for same routine.
    Now ones I was trying to recruit were all trusted people I played with in other pvp games (often even less polished and/or more expensive than pox), but they all refused to pay upfront, before being able to try the game with at least one absolutely limitless bg.

11. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

I would have to say that no one I have introduced to pox has had any issue with the business model. They have issue with the graphics, UI, MASSIVE learning curve, but none of them who ever made it all the way through the tutorial ever complained about the business model. Everyone I have introduced though has a decent job so a couple bucks on runes is no big deal. With a serious job however, and even worse with kids, comes a low amount of free time. So when a game takes 10 hours just to learn the basics, it can be kind of a turn-off.

electus1 likes this.
  12. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think the issue is more that, even if you can afford it easily, people generally don't like paying money for something they haven't committed to.

Which is why I've always pushed for free and tradable decks as a reward for completing tutorials - let people get into the game first and then they are more likely to buy packs.

13. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Pc's are also built too handle many many different things at one time, game systems are not, if game systems were built to handle multiple things they would cost double most likely. A ps4 running poxnora only vs any decent pc running multiple things i'll always take the pc. The reason pc's are always superior is because when my pc graphics card becomes outdated I don't have to get rid of it, I simply take out the graphics card and put in a better one. Pc's are the future of gaming for real gamers and have been for a while, it's just taken longer for people to recognize this. By the time the new play station is released they will have something that is 100x better for pc, that's the way of things in the technology world.

Also they never said if poxnora's port would be for the new play station systems or not considering they would have to configure it all differently for each system based on what they can handle.

14. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I have some serious concerns about how gameplay will be affected for PS4 users. (I think PSVita is a touch screen so it should be a little easier.)

I am going to assume it will be cross compatible. Lets be honest here. We don't exactly have the prestige or the player-base to split the community.

How will PS4 players be able to manage the intense amount of interactions required each turn with a controller? Will grids pre-select viable Teleportation squares? Is there an AI that suggests where they want to place their Acid Bomb? I mean, simply moving a unit takes three separate interactions, and that's without attacking. (Selection, movement, confirmation.) Will there be greater attention to turn timer statistics in the future? Meaning that if PS4 players need a greater turn timer; will it affect the game for others?

I'm sure there are other complications, but those are the ones that popped into my head. Don't get me wrong, Sok was right about how much sense this announcement makes, but it does bring into question other things.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Resonance9 and super71 like this.
  15. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

BLOWN AWAY!!
    lemme get this straight!!! your telling me that I can be on my lazyboy(as couchs and pc's really dont mix),,with my controller in hand, layed back playing pox on my 56" tv,,?
    is that what your telling me?!?!!
    cant believe it!!! wont believe till I see it!!

seriously this is very exciting news,, I can surely see so much potential from this maneuver. ..,, again, blown away.

left consoles for pc after ps1,,, my girl stays semi current with consoles, not even sure if its ps2 or 3,, but even then,its mostly netflix and such, , no games. ..and even tho I kinda wanted a ps4. really coudnt justify the purchase. ..but now?! hmmm,, things could be different. .
    well done sok and co.!!
    so does ps4 have a mouse option?

super71, Qucas, 4NIK8 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I like nora counts being public information, but what are you gonna do with traps? Have them deduct the nora from the counter when discovered?

17. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

I think you worry too much. Translating the controls of a 2d games that can be played with mouse-only is very simple. It just feels awkward when you are not used to it but that goes away with some practice. With the left analog stick and L1/L2 buttons you could already do pretty much everything. Stick moves curser, L1 is left click L2 is right click and you are done. Then you still have a whole hand and a bunch of buttons left for whatever shortcuts you need... or you could use the free hand to handle a PC-mouse and play two games of Pox at the same time...
    (The minimalist setup would be analog stick only. Pushing it [L3] acts as a left click and the map gets moved by shoving the cursor in the edge of the screen.)

Bighugelarge likes this.
  18. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Or the D-pad can be used to pan the map as simple as a pc.

19. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

... then it wouldn't be the minimalist setup anymore. But yeah, there are countless of ways to make Pox work with a gamepad. Come to think of it.. since the clients will be identical that means that you'll be able to play the PC version with a gamepad as well. Or at least I'd hope that there'd be more controller supported than just the PS4 ones.

20. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Hidden effects form rune deploys will still be somewhat of a mystery. You will be able to see the nora deducted, but you won't know what it is for. There may be some who could figure it out but for most situations it will just act as a warning system that something is in play and to be on guard. @Sokolov in the future may do some design changes to these types of mechanics if it is needed. Our focus is to make it easier for players to understand what and why something is happening while still maintaining the strategic depth all of you love.

super71, soulmilk, electus1 and 2 others like this.