Discussion: Rune Limit 1 on non-Champions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I dont like this rune limit of 1 to be implemented, it would hurt dedicated decks (which almost always are focused around 2x non-champ core runes)

Imo the way to go is not to force the 1x limit BUT to give a bonus to Highlander decks, so if you have a "FH(Full Highlander, 1x each rune in the deck)" you get the full bonus and if you have "UH(Utility Highlander, 1x each non-champ rune in deck)" you get half bonus. kindof how faction bonuses work.
    It would also be funny to spell:
    Full Faction Full Highlander Sundered Land = FF FH SL
    xD

As to what the highlander bonus grants, its another discussion

2. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

Every ranged attack costs 5 AP instead of 3. A second attack would cost 7 instead of 5. So you need 12 ap to attack twice assuming you don't spend AP to move. Considering most champs only store 11 AP...

Qucas and badgerale like this.
  3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Ah, I didn't realise it stacked. Kinda be interesting to see how it played out with two.

Qucas and TeaNinja like this.
  4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

What runes do they lose?

5. guokamoli54

guokamoli54 I need me some PIE!

Also all the G'hern are still limited to 1 per bg. I know that was implemented quite a while ago. Dont remember the reason tho.

6. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

And kanen alphas.

Qucas and guokamoli54 like this.
  7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

This actually came out of the temporary ban list idea, not the council. But I know this doesn't matter, you will continue your irrational crusade against people who are trying to help the game.

Gnomes, Tweek516, themacca and 3 others like this.
  8. Sokolov

This has been the approach for many years, but what you see is that it just changes what is "good."

9. Sokolov

There's always going to be some drawbacks to any idea, the question is whether the benefits are worth the drawbacks.

10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

exotic runes are not hard to get (make) and I don't think there are any leg/lim only runes of that type other than the banners and runes that have already been banned? so I don't see how this idea makes deck building harder on new players. if anything it makes it easier since if youre the type who only wants to run 'perfect' decks youre not forced to get 2x of something.

11. Sokolov

You mean theme decks, such as Collective or Fae running 2x Collective and Chained Fae type of stuff? (in the case of Chained Fae for this specific discussion, it'd be exempt because it'd be a champion, but it's still relevant as a general point I think).

12. Sokolov

For that part, I am mostly thinking about new players who don't have a full deck of a particular faction or theme, and now has to obtain more total runes in order to even have a playable deck.

13. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

On the contrary, the way i see it it would actually affect non-theme decks, when i build a non-themed bg i pick the ability or interaction i want to build around and add 2x each of those champs, spells, equips and relics, then build utility combos with the slots left. There are not enough champ ability variety to fill an autox2 non-champ rune's slot.
    This is why i've asked you several times over the years to add specifil out of faction abilities or even random abilities when a champ has an empty slot, its because players like me see opportunities and come up with cool combos instead of being given a champ with one or two obvious roles... Race, Racial ability, Name or Class are all lazy bases to build bgs from.
    Imo this is a stronger relevant point to what you sayd.

14. Sokolov

I am guessing you mean something like the Bursticade deck which would be much less effective with just 1x of each deck.

I guess I consider those interactions to be a subset of theme, but gotcha, and I agree :)

IMAGIRL and Kampel like this.
  15. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

Collective is FS meta atm Sok. We are talking real themes struggling like mirefolk with 2x vault 2x undertow 2x drown or psy with 2x fork mask 2x psychic blast. Imagine the drop in efficiency of those BGs as opposed to my meta collective where all I lose is marsh song and PHS which is easily replaced.

16. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Its easier to get 2x of a rune than 1x of 2 different runes? I still don't see how it's an added burden for new players to have a 1x limit on non champ runes. Theme is usually determined by the champ set isn't it? And champs are still 2x under this idea. Though maybe that's not true for all themes these days. Even so it's usually a good idea to have variety vs doubling down on a specific combo. IMO.

17. Sokolov

You are invariably going to get 2x of stuff just from buying random packs, and it's a new rule the player has to learn (Rune Limit is displayed on the runes, but it's easy to miss as a new player), but it's possible it's not as much of a concern as I think it is.

18. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I don't think rune acquisition is a problem for pox at all now. the free to play module of this game has been improved so much that realistically only limiteds and new release runes are a challenge to acquire

19. Karamasov

Karamasov Lord of SL & Master of Challenges

I'm opposed to the general x1 rule to no-champion runes. Too many are designed to function x2.

Spellsurge units would loose a lot of flavor and strength. Decay needs to be run x2 to completely block healing. Graveyard has a lot of uses that begs x2. The runes that are mentioned in other post. And more will pop up if it's looked into.

My point is, that it would nerf certain runes, decks and play styles. Especially some trick decks would be hit hard. Granted some runes would see more play, but it wouldn't make them stronger. So over all this rule would be a blanket nerf with many unknown consequences.

Kampel likes this.
  20. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

how about no