Discussion: Visions of Amareth Midterm Short Story Contest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

[​IMG]

Sirius likes this.
  3. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

"D'elim", "Menalaus" and "canon".

Also, I'm not sure how this rights thing works, so I'm asking: despite forgoing your rights to the short story and not using it for financial gains, you ARE still legally considered its creator, right? (Or co-creator or whatever in the case of editing by Pox crew?)

Anima26 and Senshu like this.
  4. Senshu

You will be considered the original creator but the story will be owned by Desert Owl Games as it will become part of the game's cannon.

For the most part anything containing Pox Nora materials as in Characters, Story Plots, Places, Factions, and Mechanics etc. are owned by Desert Owl Games and can not be legally sold by people who do not have the explicit written consent from Desert Owl Games. This applies to pretty much any fan fiction using Pox Nora content, but we just want to make it clear regarding the rights. This is more in the case that someone ended up writing a short story that contained no reference to actual Pox Nora Intellectual Property, but still met the contest guidelines and won.

Basically if you submit a story and it is not the winner and you wanted to expand it to be a longer short story to sell. Then the contestant would need to remove all Pox Nora references, which would be the case for any written work even if it wasn't submitted to the contest. With that said, if you are a writer or want to become a writer you can include your submission in your writing portfolio even if you are the winner. You just can not directly profit from material that contains any Pox Nora content.

Hopefully that clarifies the disclaimer. The Disclaimer has been updated to clarify the ownership rights.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Leadrz and Sirius like this.
  5. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

Challenge accepted. Off to the thinking cave....~~~swoosh~~~

Gnomes, Anima26 and Senshu like this.
  6. Senshu

Don't forget your thinking helmet.

Gnomes likes this.
  7. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

Forgot the helmet....completes the whole ensemble;

In the thinking cave, we wear our thought induction cap, our idea invoking cape, and feast upon mind stimulating snacks, while listening to creativity inducing piano.

There be a lot of self inflection in the thinking cave, yo.

8. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

What the crap are you two talking about? All you need is a thinking chair and a blue dog, duh!

9. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

i want those pantier headhunter short stories back. those were the bomb!

Anima26 likes this.
  10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Someone write a story about De'lim trying to assassinate Menalaus but changing his mind and instead they start making out but then their beards get tangled and then they are stuck together forever.
    [​IMG]

11. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

It'd be easier to have a love triangle among Talgar, Euan and Bastion.
    Ironfisted Strong'nHard would be the a good name for the story.

12. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

So thats how Coragh came to be.

13. Senshu

Submissions must be posted in the submissions thread to be considered http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php...of-amareth-midterm-short-story-contest.20505/

14. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

This clarifies it, thank you.

15. 0ryuk0

0ryuk0 I need me some PIE!

If only I could write in full Tagalog. Haha. I suck at English :confused:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  16. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

This is a really good explanation, thanks

17. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

What about if i use google translate? xD

18. Senshu

That should work, but the quality of the writing will be taken at face value so any translated work will need to be proof read for translation errors.

19. Silfeed

Silfeed I need me some PIE!

So just to be sure, if I want, I can do a random story about any new rune that came with VOA right? Or does it have to be something tied to the few stories that are already on the website?

20. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If you have an idea that stems off of just one rune, that is fine. The existing story threads are largely explored directly via our official stories and runes, so you have some agency to explore them in more detail, some of their side consequences, or come up with something more original that still has some basis in what is happening.

For example, you can could do something relating to the villages whose lives have been disrupted by the Falgar project. Maybe it's related to why the Carrier Squire went off and decided to try and become a Paladin.

You could take the Reflecting Creeper and write a story about a "educational" piece about its peculiar behaviors regarding its young.

You could write about Len the Weird Uncle and his escapades.

Skullferno likes this.