Does anime and manga promote pedophilia?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JazzMan1221, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I wouldn't know... but how would one make a study or do research on that without essentially getting pedophiles to come out of the closet (at least to the researcher) in the first place?

In the past, I know that some genetic traits have been tied to pedophilia (meaning it would be "natural" at least in some cases), but I don't know if those ties have survived scientific scrutiny or if they are just hold-overs from the pro eugenics stuff (perhaps due to lack of acceptable cases to study to disprove it?).

Point being since pedophilia is so generally reviled in modern cultures (yes, even Japan, though obviously a different age of consent signals a shift the perspective on it to a degree); often being tied to molestation and the like (especially since that's usually the only time you'd hear someone identified as one), it would probably be difficult to do proper research on this since it would be a huge social risk for anyone participating in it.

There have been of course a few publicly vocal people on their attractions. NAMBLA members for example, and I think there was recently some op-ed by a self-avowed Pedophile a couple months back? So maybe there's enough to study off of?... I dunno.

2. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

do a search for 'badass' on Steam

just... sigh

3. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

video games dont make you violent, anime doesn't make you pedo. no causative evidence has ever been found between consumption of art/entertainment and committing actual crimes. in fact, the crime statistics seem to indicate an opposite correlative effect.

4. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Not sure how that'd be relevant to whether or not Japanese culture promotes Pedophilia.

Yeah it's stupid, pandering BS, but...

Besides "Bad Ass Babes" is probably even worse in terms of fanservice pandering BS, so it's hardly a thing unique to Japan.

Dagda likes this.
  5. Ragic

child like game graphics coupled with nudity and that wide eyed anime style. close enough. quit being a liberal.

Dagda likes this.
  6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

colorful graphics? check
    wide eyed? check
    confirmed for pizzagate pedo ring

Dagda likes this.
  7. Ragic

you left out the nudity and sexual content tags. but hey, if that's your cup of tea, great. just don't babysit my kids pervert.

SPiEkY and Dagda like this.
  8. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

nobody wants to touch your ugly kids dude.

Dagda likes this.
  9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

So... do you consider Hunie Pop to be promoting pedophilia as well? It hits all those criteria. Just asking for clarification of your position on the matter.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  10. Ragic

"About: Mature content notice: HuniePop contains explicit language, strong sexual themes, partial nudity and is intended for mature audiences"

the pictures associated with the game show females that are teenagers at best. its no worse than something that exploits cheerleader fantasies. but its no better either. now if you want to lawyer up and throw the legal definition of pedophilia around and challenge people to assign an age to cartoon females, go ahead. youre still a pervert.

11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

at best is a strange choice of word here.

12. Ragic

the context was pedophilia. I was asked about a particular game. I was evaluating the pics of women in that game to see if it exploited the sexulization of underaged women. my determination was that the women depicted were teenaged 'at best'. meaning it was unlikely that they would be older, probably younger.

'at best' is a fairly common expression that I doubt needed explaining but ive learned not to take feigned confusion on this forum at face value.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I don't know I havn't played it.

that means that beside the best case the other girls are younger than teenagers?

14. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

if we assume actual best is adult, and worst edges much closer to infancy, then using that scale if someone says "teenager at best", it's safe to assume that the rest are younger, thus closer to the other end of the scale (also from a moral sense, generally worse to sexuallize)

context clues !

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Yes, that's the point?

So it seems to me that it's a stylization issue for you, at least in large part.

For what it's worth, the game "Hunie Pop" does actually assign ages to the characters, and most of them are considered (by the game) to be in their 20's or older, with an 18 year old as I think the youngest one... and all written more or less appropriate to their age from what I hear (sort of, it's still a pandering game after all). From my subjective viewpoint... the art also matches. You say "at best" yet it seems clear to me that a number of characters are clearly older than teenagers (even before I heard about their supposed age assignments).

Yet you saw them (or maybe skipped over them) and saw them as being teenagers. It's an interesting difference in interpretation.

Actually the reason I brought up "Hunie Pop" specifically was because it's a game that has received quite a lot of positive feedback from a very broad review base (in some cases in spite of it's adult subject matter but certainly not all cases). Including a lot of people that don't like "anime" art styles etc.

NevrGonaGivUup likes this.
  16. Ragic

group think doesn't justify perversion. and exploiting women in their 20's is only slightly better than exploiting women in their teens. is that a distinction you really want to hang your hat on? and besides, it doesn't matter one bit how old the game says the toons are. all that matters is how old they look. come on man, are you really defending this trash?

17. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Ragic, you seem highly opposed to eroticism in art/entertainment as a rule. May I ask your stance on violence in art/entertainment? Do you allow your children to consume violent media?

Also, may I ask at what age you became sexually active? I would guess very late (perhaps mid 20's?) based on your warped moralizing around adolescent - and even young adult - sexuality.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  18. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I went ahead and registered all you "artistically astute" individuals on the sex offenders registry. It's just a matter of time!

Skullferno likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Newsbuff, are you a pedophile?

20. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

no, but i was banging at age 14, so people who go nuts at the idea of adolescent sexuality just seems like someone who either started late or had some kind of traumatic experience. i.e. not normal.

Geressen, are you a pedophile?