Does Magnus need a Revamp?

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Legato, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

Hp is low, speed is sad, but still so expensive?

I don't know it's a far cry from what he should be, I find I'm liking Isran more.

What if we have him too use Declare: Hunted and reconsider having Equip: Holy Blade of Valdac (I don't know if any of you guys remember but before the equip abilities even existed the first source in mind was Magnus and HBoV).'

What would be your proposals? Dropping Bounty Hunter alone would have him cost a maximum of 66 nora, I'm definitely gravitating towards changing that. Especially since 6 speed makes it significantly harder to trigger.

Is it just me who finds him underwhelming?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I think bounty hunter is the problem. But to be honest , I don't want declare hunted to be the go to for paladins now. It is largely ineffective on melee champions...that also happen to have no gap closers or speediness. It will largely be a sandbag imo unless your gonna invent some declare hunted deck.

- I think he needs to be a theme enabler cuz he just has consecrate. Most 300k's have a unique signature ability/kit or should anyway but after revamp they all got weird. Magnus should either start with the HBoV equipped like was originally intended or he needs some other niche creative skill set.

- Either way he needs a clearer role defined whether it be tanky supporter or theme enabling beater...idc but right now he is lackluster. Beckon Paladin!!! jk but something.

3. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

He is underwhelming.

As for Bounty Hunter -> Declare: Hunted I would pass on that. If we get rid of Bounty Hunter I feel like he should become a support unit.

4. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

I'd kill for this build and upgrade chains:

Base: atk physical, equipt: holy blade of valdac, inquisition
    Upgrade 1: adaptive ironfist, punish, command: charge
    Upgrade 2: bounty hunter, resist magic 3, ignorance

This keeps true to his original design, gives a unique ability/combo set, and offers roles for different player types without forcing cheap or expensive pricing down our throats.

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Six speed: check
    Has been randomly changed: check
    Boring beyond recognition: check

Hmm, seems he's followed the IS formula of perfection.

6. Legato

Maybe Bounty Hunter shouldn't cost 20 nora...

Two things I think definitely need to happen:
    Starting with HBoV equipped, this either in conjunction with consecrate or instead of will be fine.
    3 DEF base (as he used to have) + more HP or access to Adaptive IS again, I know some people don't like the latter but his base HP is not that of a melee unit and was set low due to his having Adaptive in the pre-revamp state, but despite losing it, it still starts low.

7. Lubanja

Lubanja Member

No, he's fine as is because I don't have one or the desire to try to trade for him. ;/

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

He just seems kind of bland these days. Bounty Hunter is super strong but losing Adaptive: Ironfist during the revamp and having his base damage lowered to 10 kind of keeps him from being dangerous. He is "slow" but not particularly tanky, he cant do much damage up front outside a Might of Ironfist Pummel but why bother when you can do the same thing with Bastion who is faster, and actually kills things with the combo.

9. Legato

That's the thing, BH isn't really a threat on the offensive side given base damage. I'd rather he have a purly defensive version, or just scale armor given the cost.

Scale Armor + Execute would be more useful, and cheaper.

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I'd love to see Magnus get a rework while keeping some of the parts that make him who he is. However, I would want to see a couple of weeks worth of discussion on the subject before attempting to push a rework through. This thread would be as good a place as any so to get some tongues wagging what would everyone think of something like this? DISCLAIMER - THIS IS JUST A DISCUSSION STARTER THAT I AM THROWING TOGETHER AND NOT SOMETHING I WOULD WANT TO SHIP ANY TIME SOON.

Inquisitor Magnus, Badass

Stats:
    Cost: 86ish - 89
    HP: 49
    Def: 2
    Spd: 7
    Rng: 1
    Dam: 10

Base Abilities:
    Attack: Physical
    Bounty Hunter
    Holy Blade (This unit gains +1 damage for 2 turns each time a friendly champion is healed. If this champion's damage modifier is +5 or greater it has Attack: Fire)

Upgrade Tree A
    Ignorance (Default)
    Inquisition
    Book Burn

Upgrade Tree B
    Magic Resist 1
    Magic Resist 2
    Magic Resist 3

His speed is back up to 7 and he has +2 HP. He has a way of having his damage boosted while holding to flavor but loses consecration in the trade so he would have to rely on other healing within the theme to aquire it.

11. Legato

Consecration was like...the main reason to get Magnus :p

I feel that some way to trigger some form of hallowed ground is intrinsic to him. Afterwards, it's just a matter of deciding if he should be purposed more towards beater, tank or support. I like tank/support/beater in that order, but that's only me.

Holy Blade as an ability should probably last 4 turns, at least and maybe 6.
    I think BH is overcosted by 5. Sort of not liking it on him as a whole right now would prefer Punish or Adaptive base instead.

I'd like it better if line 2 was:

Magic Resist 1
    Ignorance
    Magic Resist 3

Also, I'll admit that this is mostly an aesthetic thing but can the 49 hp thing bothers me haha, go 50 like his sis!

Unless you're saying something with that 1 hp difference between the two :p

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Tbh between the two of them I have always thought Isran was more of a badass. But yeah 49 is likely two low. Magnus had low HP because of Adaptive + Bounty Hunter. What if Magnus lost Bounty Hunter and gained Adaptive: Ironfist and Scale Armor and HP stayed at 48-49?

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I wouldn't mind losing Bounty Hunter if he got a defensive ability and Adaptive back. That'd be lovely.

14. Glad0

Glad0 I need me some PIE!

Speed 7
    Hp 40

Def 2
    Dmg 10
    Rng 1

Base:
    Concentrate
    Attack physical
    Addaptive: IS

1:
    Bounty hunter
    Punish
    Inquisition

2:
    Mag resist: 1
    Mag resist: 2
    Mag resist: 3

He's not initially deployed as a beast . He ramps up to be a good champ . But that's only of your opponent lets him become that strong .

15. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

To be fair he has access to G charge, attendant, Invig, Incite, declare target( 3ap saver), Pult, Drive all in faction and thats just off the top of my head.

Going to throw out the idea that Spell Control champion + combat champ for a role concept. It would tie in with the inquisition/holy anti spell slant in IS as well as make him an interesting champion. At least conceptually.

16. Thbigchief

- I'd rather not see adaptive or bounty hunter or anything from these old stale deck mechanics tbh. They promote a stagnant un eventful win-con gameplay experience that no one likes to play against and i frankly dont want to play with.

17. Thbigchief

- Just for the record... Whoever is promoting this whether it be council or devs... Stop. Save these upgrade paths for the commons. If nothing else, we expect to have interesting and well thought out upgrade paths for higher rarity runes. We constantly preach that rarity =\= power but then it must mean unique and creative then right? With upgrade paths like that not only does rarity =\= power .... Rarity =\= anything. Aka poopoo

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  18. sassquatch

sassquatch I need me some PIE!

Bounty hunter isn't a problem. Adaptive isn't a problem. The combination isn't a problem. The play style isn't a problem in and of itself. Having this combo on base and not broken up onto upgrades may be a problem. Disallowing the concept of big "Timmy" champs to exist is a problem. Taking away the option for big powerful if expensive champs is a problem. Not allowing variety in champ design for upgrade chains especially for rarer champs is problematic.

Ok I'll stop ranting for the moment.

Ps... I find inquisition as unfun of a play style as y'all do adaptive

19. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Big Timmy doesn't mean simple big bad beater it means large, power houses regardless of how it is powerful. Be that lots of stats, or powerful abilities. The core concept is just a singular powerful unit. Perhaps a balance can be reached between Timmy and Tommy here?

20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Designate Flag Bearer