Does Pox need a cataclysm type of event ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pedeguerra, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Share your thoughts on the subject if you will.

I, personally, think yes. There are just way too many runes and abilities for anyone to realistically get into the game. Also, veterans like myself are just tired of seeing the same meta runes over and over throughout the years.
    This is is closest thing to a Pox 2.0 that wouldnt need new game engines and whatnot. Maybe a couple of different maps for starters.
    There is even a "lore excuse for it", with the heroes being missing and occurrances related to that (although, I have to be honest I have no idea where the lore is at now).
    The basic premise would be that there was a Nora overload due to bad usage around the planet, which caused it to burst out of the ground and kill everything with a giant nora flood of some sort (which is why even aquatic animals would get killed in the process).
    The next expansion (30 or whatever) could be called Expansion 1 again, with new spells, relics and champions, and we could get to see them evolving and whatnot. For example, there could be a barbarian tribe that survived it, and you get to play with the chieftain, or some Voils that got stuck in the highest peak around SP, whatever. Could even make it a collective effort to brainstorm the handful of races that would still be around after the disaster, just like relics, spells and new heroes.
    I am excited just thinking about it.
    Of course this would take at the very least a couple of months of active and daily suggestions given, but it would be a much easier task then to struggle to see this game living.
    I am certain it would bring a new life to Pox.
    How about old runes and whatnot? Turn them into shards. So all the veterans will have a huuuuuugeeee supply of shards to make whatever they want when you are allowed to craft the new expansion runes.
    Rotate maybe 3 maps only for now, and as the planet begins being poppulated again new maps starts being introduced. New heroes, new villains, everything would be replaced.
    And since there are much better ways of designing runes now (nora cost for abilities, etc) it would be a much more balanced environment right from the get go.

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

You are way behind, but happen to be correct: there would seem to be lore reasons for something nasty to happen right now. Read the most recent stuff.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  3. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

I'd say with pox 2.0 pretty much confirmed as a thing, this wouldn't be worth the energy.

4. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Will do later on. Cool.

IDK why you have that impression.
    Going to PS4 is not Pox 2.0, at all.

5. Atherhog

Sok has pretty much confirmed in other posts, I'm positive.

6. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

He said gedden bought back pox because he wanted to make pox 2 at some point, which is very positive but also not a confirmation it will definitely happen.

7. Ultima

Ultima I need me some PIE!

As long as skeezicks are a thing stilli don't mind.

8. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

No, I'm pretty new and I think your right. With pretty much any card game, the only reason for a 2.0 would be a complete mechanic overhaul into something different. It's like, what would be the point of a magic 2.0? I mean, IK this is part strategy game, but it jus doesn't make sense to me.

Now, wanting to completely remake the game from scratch so its better coded but still have pretty much the same mechanics? THAT makes sense to me. But a 2.0? Some games I think are just like that- minecraft being another great example.

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Imo 2.0 would make sense only if it brings scaleable mode - so that any reasonable amount of players can participate in the same battle, possibly even leave/join in the process, and game would stay manageable with any amount of units on board. Classic lowscale-fullcontrol mode can stay as an option of course.
    I've been developing a desdoc and some private prototypes for such system for a while (so far only for fun), and it's definitely doable.
    If pox stays same though, all we need featurewise - larger deck size and some slightly varying modes - win conditions, environmental modifiers, random deck selection/modification, etc.

10. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Pox 2.0 in my opinion would allow them to actually change a bit of it but adjust some CORE things that you just wouldn't be able to do with an old pox with so many runes.

Something like say adjusting the faction bonuses or the nora given by fonts/shrines... stuff that has a history of having a LOT of baggage tied to it.
    I'd also imagine it would allow for stuff like map creator, or dungeon crawl modes, or 2 vs environment etc etc crazy stuff

11. Atherhog

Pox 2.0 would allow for easier custom maps... rather than these old school, impossible to open to the community, freaks of nature!

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

19madfox95 and SPiEkY like this.
  13. DrakeArron

Except you see, this is the common misconception of "2.0". 2.0 doesn't mean rewritten code. It literally means "Pox Nora 2". As in, a sequel. Considering all of poxnoras story can be told through this game, the only way that would make sense is if they completely re-wrote the game mechanics in a new game, or made a new game that only has a base set of cards in it, all entirely different.

What you are talking about is not "pox 2.0" but pox "deluxe" or "version 1.10". It isn't a sequal, so much as a re-release. Sort of like if Bethesda were to remake Morrowind for the modern age- the remade Morrowind wouldn't be "Morrowind 2", it would still be Morrowind. Just updated.

14. Atherhog

I would argue the use of 2.0 means something totally different to poxnora 2.

Definition: "used to denote a superior or more advanced version of an original concept, product, service, etc."

Poxnora 2 wouldn't need to be superior, just a different story.

15. DrakeArron

That might be the everyday definition, but not the videogame development one. Think about it this way- what is 2.0 as a mathematical number? 2.So, when you say you want "Pox Nora 2.0", your really saying, by the development definition, you want "Pox Nora 2".
    When you denote the versions of an update to a game, it goes like this-
    .000(infinite) to .999(infinite) is alpha through beta.
    1.0 is version one. That is, its the version of the product that is released, and considered finished. 1.0 is game 1.
    1.0 through 1.9999(infinite) is what your talking about. This is an update to the game, better versions of the game.
    However 2.0, or what is mathematically equivalent to 2, is just that- *2*. If you release version 2 of a game, ot is no longer that game anymore. It should be drastically different.

16. DrakeArron

Now, what I just wrote may not be important to us as everyday people, but considering the Pox Nora Dev's ARE game developers, it's a reasonable asumption to make that they would be using this terminology too. I mean, they do already- look at how the updates to the game are numbered. So, when a Game developer such as a pox nora dev talks abot Pox Nora 2.0, they in all likelyhood mean the definition I gave you. And what most of us are saying, is that pox nora doesn't need so drastic an update to require the game development definition of a 2.0 version.

Keep in mind, when I say "updates to the game" I mean the actual patches and code additiona, not the expansions. Which I admit is a bit harder to find with pox nora. However this is how the patches are numbered.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    SPiEkY likes this.
  17. Atherhog

I totally disagree with your definition. But that doesn't matter.

Let me say this, an upgraded Poxnora would allow for better map customisation - whatever you call that upgrade.

18. DrakeArron

No ones saying an upgraded pox nora wouldn't be a good idea. It just wouldn't be Pox Nora 2.0. Thats kind of the point. They're ALREADY working on things like that with the client upgrade. Perhaps after the client upgrade they'll work on map cusumozation. Either way, none of that is "2.0".
    And you can disagree, but its the actual definition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning
    In the version numbering used by the large majority of video games, 2.0 means the sequel to the previous game.
    EDIT: I mean, where did the saying 2.0 come from? Why add that decimal and a 0 there? Because thats how you do it in actual programing versions. In the video game world, program version 2 essentially means a new game. You will never see a game upgrade from version "1.901" to version "2.0".

SPiEkY likes this.
  19. DrakeArron

This is the version history of minecraft as an example- http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Version_history . Notice, even when they get up to version "1.9", they don't go to version 2.0, but rather version 1.10. This is how it is with every game.

20. Atherhog

What I'm saying fits with the definition you provide.

Poxnora 2: could use the same engine and have no new features. Simply, a sequel.
    Poxnora 2.0: would be an improvement on Poxnora 1.0 - new engine, features etc. It could be the same story arc, same runes etc.

The current upgrade would indeed be 1.x.x
    What I want to see is 2.0
    What I'm not interested in is Pox2, without the upgrade to the engine