done till next expansion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calisk, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Sure does feel like that!

2. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Planar disturbances came out July 27, so it's been about two thirds of a year since we got any new runes. On the bright side, I predict that there will be some kind of announcement within a few weeks now that sok is back.

xaznsoulx likes this.
  3. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

adding what TheRavager said in global chat...

there are 3 decks that are far too op and need a nerf atm...

1) Princeleaf - shrine kill - uses pox harbinger + solitary garu, suicidal or garu hurler with preparation bg (kf/sp)

2) live123 - fs/ud seasong, librarians, deep leviathon etc

3) GemmaXylia - illusions - kf deck /

* also illusion decks in general, which would include pouncing illusions / massive leap illusions etc.

he said this is falling on deaf ears

4. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

The shrine rush deck looks easy to play and very powerful in the current meta but I am not convinced that it needs to be nerfed immediately. This meta is ultra stale and the top ranks seem to be all running the same thing. When a new deck comes along and is really successful, it means people might have to change their decks up to deal with it. This is a good thing imo.

I am personally at 7-1 against recent shrine rushes (4x princeleaf, 2x2 copycat players). None of the matches involved me anticipating the matchup and queuing with specific counters. I already had useful things in my decks. The way people are talking, you would think you have to add fortify to your deck to stand a chance, when all it really takes is a bit more detection and a bit more CC.

Some helpful advice:
    1 - cap mid or cap natural, no more. Don't give the solitary more damage or speed unless you know that you can take care of it. I have seen top ranked players get really greedy and grab 4 fonts on elemental plateau. You are guaranteed a champ advantage already so you really need to weigh the benefits of an extra font vs the disadvantages of champs that can't kill anything and an easier time for your opponent to pull off the combo.

2 - watch these decks, play a game: guess where the shrine rusher is. why do you think it is in the general area you guessed? what did you assume? were you correct? this will help you guess better if you play them yourself.

3- spell-based AoEs as detection, use sparingly. One of the 2 shrine rushers will be protected. It will show up in the combat log so it can still be helpful even if it doesn't do damage. Don't use it at the end of the turn after you've already moved your champs because detection is only useful if you can follow it up with CC, a kill, or movement blocking that turn. Reverb blast is a solid exception to the rule if you have a very good idea where the champ is, because it CCs.

4 - every turn you live is a turn closer to winning. forcing a counter (like antidote) means less nora to spend on the kill combo.

5 - if you have spell presence, equip them. It doesn't even have to be a negative equip, take betrayal out of the equation.

6 - use your mulligan. The 10n is way less important than getting the runes you need early, since they aren't putting any pressure on you.

7 - tweak your deck. take a look at upgrades - maybe it's worth it to run static greeting instead of jolt for a week or two. Small things can have a huge impact on your chances against this deck.

8 - build a counter deck and snipe. this isn't advice to everybody, but there is an opportunity to farm wins. unlike some of the other unfair decks out there (cataclysm), the range of countermeasures is much broader and it is a lot easier to build a deck that counters it without sacrificing a ton against regular decks. If only a couple people start doing this, the deck will either change so that it is better against the counters and weaker in general or it will go into hibernation (pun intended).

Vorian, guokamoli54, Gnomes and 4 others like this.
  5. PrinceLeaf

PrinceLeaf The King of Potatoes

^ that is solid advice to everyone.

6. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i thought for sure people had figured out not to cap every font in the game vs solitary

BurnPyro likes this.
  7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Sok is aware of them but his hands are tied on patches/releases. Something about keeping the live servers and servers for the new client similar.

Doesnt matter. Solitary or Hurler is having Infuse/Suicidal Attack/Zealotry/Alacrity spammed on it to do 3x 30+ damage attacks.

Etherielin, mintdude1 and Tweek516 like this.
  8. davre

It does matter though, those things cost nora. Free damage and speed doesn't. They can beat you without the free stats but if it means saving up for an extra turn, that's one more chance to find and kill them.

9. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

1- he rarely kills it with solitary garu, it's the 9 range hurler that does not care about fonts, or ca2 stealthed garren that can also do it from outside the shrine zone. if he deploys a garu it's usually just a back up option in case you spot his hurler.

2 - getting lucky is nice but the hurler can be anywhere within 14 spaces and kill your shrine in 3 hits, that's a pretty lucky guess when you do manage to find it, that said in my last prince leaf game i managed to find it twice, i'm familiar with fighting these deck. it largely involved watching the log for when i managed to hit it with the aoe's and proc'd protection so i knew the general area he was in

3) spell based aoe detection does nothing most of the time because they use protection so they heal off the hit and don't detect.

4) ya if you can manage to force some nora out of him it help, but i believe he needs like 140 for the combo, they can pull it of by turn 3 or 4 with the right draw according to rav.

5) again if you can spot them and have a neg equip in your deck, this is sound advice, but you need to find him first.

6)using your mul also great advice but doesn't get you any closer if their are no answers in your deck.

7) yeti's and maybe blood tracker, and unobstruct view are the only answers to his deck, but if you focus on stopping his deck then you will lose to ff sl since their decks are insane right now as well. sso pick your poisoin, load your deck up with answers to prince deck, but then lose to hyper efficient sl, or play a real bg to face them and lose every time you face the prince gimick....

8) here lies the problem with what happened last night, people trying to snipe the prince players, and the prince players trying to snipe the other players, both too afraid to hit their counter and nobody queing.

Woffleet, Hierokliff and mintdude1 like this.
  10. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Not to mention rush decks like this are best to farm...since if it wins more then 50% and takes less then 50% of the time of a grinding typical game then its win/win. It is desirable to some people to win or lose quickly so they can get back in and farm. Winning one game in 35 mins is not as good as winning 3 and maybe losing 1 in prolly the same amount of time.

11. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

I think its great that he has bought a different flavour to the game, people need to get it out of their heads that they can build a perfect deck and win against anything.

Wasnt you running a gimmick summon slamming deck anyway!?!

PS. sorry to see you going, was looking forward to seeing you breaking 3k xp in a month

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    davre likes this.
  12. calisk

well it was an elemental theme deck based around several good elemental runes, the resistance is the center piece in the same vein that ice shard is the center piece to an amp deck. I honestly never looked at it much as a gimick deck and always thought of it more like an amp deck or a racial for elementals.

next I don't have an issue with the theme of shrine rushing, that is not my problem here, it's the fact that it's so strong that it's having adverse effects on finding games, and causing people not to play.

The opinion on being bored of facing gimmick bgs is just that, gimmick decks are not a breath of fresh air they are the thing I need to slog through 4 times before facing my ff sl player of the day, but you bring up a point, the difference between a deck and gimick should be clearfied.

imo a gimmick bg ignores the standard game flow, and subverts the opponents ability to play the game, it would be the equivalent to a first turn win deck in other games like magic, that has the other player sit around while they search through their deck 12 times using free effects to win the game, leaving the opponent bored and annoyed he even bothered to play the game.

in pox we don't have many decks to that extreme degree, but the sl/kf aspect deck that can kill from 18 spaces away is one of those decks to me you can win it with draw luck, map luck, and/or the right counter included but ultimately it's a stupid gimmick that should not exist and is to nobodies enjoyment but the person playing it, and that's simply an example of one I consider a gimmick.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  13. davre

Again, this is helpful advice not a foolproof guide to stopping the deck 100% of the time. Maps, draws, and sometimes lucky guesses all play a role for both sides. Responses in red.

14. calisk

I have a whole library of them lol.

I went on a collecting spree last summer added nearly 600 retro games to my already fairly massive collection.

only played like 12 of them so far, since a majority of them are rpgs they take awhile to get through, that said I havea few strategy games i been meaning to get through so now might be a good time.

suikoden 2-5, tactics ogre, vandal hearts 2, hoshigami, and saiyuki

15. calisk

ya I finished the first one last summer was going to do the whole series but got distracted by the fall-winter line up on ps4.

was a ridiculous year for good games then.

16. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Think one reason why its so popular with that deck is because using alt accounts to farm shards/gold in rank is possible, so its not always a new player copying the decks.

17. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Get guud, stop complaining l2p etc. Your a terrible, terrible hypocrite and are everything that is wrong with this community.

People complain about other things and your answers are they are bad or their opinion doesn't matter, only for yourself to make the same ******** posts later.

My god the hypocritical nonsense in these forums is off the charts and the worst part is you guys don't acknowledge it at all.

"half the player base has not asked for the game lobby to be split in half, in fact every single time a block format has been brought up, the player base has shot down the idea with extreme prejudice on the merits splitting the player base in half at this point would be a terrible idea.

as for being negative, I rarely am except towards the players that habitually complain about every tiny detail of the game over and over again on a daily basis, to them I'm a complete ass, especially when the stuff they complain about is insignificant and could be handled simply by becoming better at the game
    "

Quote- from the all mighty and powerful calisk

See page 1 axe raiser post and many others feel the same about ranked play and splits

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  18. calisk

who are you again? name sounds familiar.

you seem uncharacteristically enraged for a player who just joined the forums

19. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

more crying see your on post for reassurance that your bad and complain too much

as for being negative, I rarely am except towards the players that habitually complain about every tiny detail of the game over and over again on a daily basis, to them I'm a complete ass, especially when the stuff they complain about is insignificant and could be handled simply by becoming better at the game

Your complaining, so start being negative towards yourself, what your talking about is insignificant, and can be handled simply by getting better at the game.

gud day

20. calisk

as I said...rarely am, I never said i'm not, I pick my battles and don't make 20 threads a week. lol

again you need to calm yourself down you are way too angry, I ahd forgotten we had even had that previous thread argument, have you just been sitting in your room writing my name on your wall or something?