done till next expansion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calisk, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

What's your case for the ST bonus? Probably best to make a new thread if it's something you want discussed.

2. Sokolov

Marginally, I'd say. It still retains the biggest part of the effect. It also got indirectly buffed as high SPD champs got reduced and we nerfed pseudo ranged abilities as well.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  3. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

timeslip works well in farming decks, id hate that it got changed too badly.. can we just keep it as a single player rune?

4. Sokolov

I think more generally speaking you can say that most mechanics/effects have the potential to be "cancer" based on meta. That's just games of this type in general. That said, I do agree that some things like most faction bonuses (and honestly almost all of them fit into this idea pretty well) will tend to be a greater multiplier on these. But at the same time, it's a wholly intention part of the design that faction bonuses directly impact the playstyle/feel of the factions and push them in different directions, so I am not sure if it is ultimately cancer so much as direction and identity.

I honestly haven't seen evidence that any particular faction has "always been very good." All factions have had their day in the sun at various points in time, as well as times when they just weren't doing very well. Of course, part of this is just popularity, and for a long time, ST was so severely underrepresented while having great players like goldmonkee so this is kind of hard to evaluate (SP, the other of the non-original 6 factions, has been in a similar boat for much of its existence as well).

Do you mean to say matchup iterations? Either way, I agree with both interpretations of this statement, both the per-game match time and the time between meta shifts have both been a problem with Pox (and they are related).

If Pox 2 (which honestly could be a misnomer depending on how much actually changes) ever comes to pass, one of my goals will be to keep match times to a more manageable range (~sub 10 minutes) while preserving the tactical interest.

I know people like large rune docks, but I also tend to think that leads to a 'stale' meta since competition for slots is decreased as you expand dock size (it's different in a draw-based game like MTG since adding cards/variety makes your deck less consistent there, while adding cards/variety here makes your deck more versatile while not impacting consistency as much).

Tweek516 likes this.
  5. Sokolov

I mean, if want to be realistic, yea.

6. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

At the same time kf got changed st and is lost their ap bonus from their fonts.

It was a universal change

It's new to see kf act like they took some big hit on their own when of the three factions they actually kept their ap per round bonus

7. Sokolov

I feel like you aren't even reading our conversation properly.

How does this statement remotely apply to anything anyone has said here?

zorbot and Etherielin like this.
  8. calisk

Was replying Mr badguy comment talking about omnipresent bonuses and then saying kfs speed bonus was nerfed twice etc.

The rest of these essays I have yet to read.

I'll find time later

9. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

I feel like the next expansion will most likely be a huge let down for me. I don't see any real direction in the new runes. Seems just like more meta bs. Themes should be a focus. Currently, the only "themed" bgs I see ran are arctic, and thats because it is basically a normal good stuff bg with global amp (meta is very global right now).

10. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

how is arctic a theme? just.... wot

11. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

That comment doesn't really make sense, basically because it's not true. Tiny runs themes, I've seen worms, and moga the most recently. I run full elves (which you can argue is carried by illusionist but is still a full theme bg with no exceptions), Calisk was elemental/slam before tinkering on yetis and intink frost amp? All are themes. The split bgs tend to be the ones that just mash anything efficient together and hope for the best. But even then there's normally a clause tying them together be it race or class or damage type or whatever. I'd say themes are pretty well represented there's just a low player base so not everything gets seen.

Etherielin and NevrGonaGivUup like this.
  12. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

I feel as though the +1ap cap was undervalued.

If you leave your champ on more than 4 ap (or burn ap to 4 whatever), then +1ap cap has the exact same effect as +1spd.

Not really offering a comment on the bonuses etc now just chiming in with this.

13. zorbot

zorbot The King of Potatoes

Look at KF and UD champs. They are made with faction bonus in mind. ST is not. KF and UD pay for their faction bonus by having lower natural speed and damage respectively. ST has no such punishment for their champions.

14. zorbot

zorbot The King of Potatoes

There was absolutely no reason why ST or IS should have had that bonus to begin with? With KF it actually made sense.

15. calisk

?

Not sure what you mean by sense the devs make the rules.

In both cases the bonus was to help traditionally slow factions in the early game due to most maps at the time being auto lose without a 7 speed first drop minimum.

In fluff the st one was because we performed better in our terrain then others. In the case of is not sure what the fluff reason would be but probably something to do with rallying in their font.

Not sure how that is more valid then what kf has. I mean if some dev 10 years ago thought it should be defense boost and sl was the speed boost I don't think we'd be looking at it like it's strange at this point in time

16. calisk

And this whole BS about champs being designed with bonuses in mind needs to stop.

You can find examples of every single stat configuration in every faction and units are costed based on a stat calculator. It's just dumb to think any faction has some made up advantage in this scenario, at least prior to adding the bonuses but I don't concede your point that the bonuses are unequal

Hierokliff, Tweek516 and Etherielin like this.
  17. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

@zorbot It has been stated multiple times that UD and KF bonuses (nor any other faction bonuses) do not affect the champion's cost formula.

18. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Also some players can not recognize a theme...even when it is obvious...I just got complained about for running a ST Meta mash BG...I ran a Jakei theme..I think players are just being very soft skinned and looking for anything to complain about.

GemmaXylia, Etherielin and Hierokliff like this.
  19. DiCEM0nEY

I meant frost amp.

20. DiCEM0nEY

Most players run goodstuff. Not themes.

super71 likes this.