Dwarven Excavator

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Rapidice, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

I think it's time to bring excavator back to his former self. He has been in the shoebox for so long, and I'd like to discuss ways to make him a decent support rune.

Currently, I think his issue is that mines have too long CD, cost too much AP for a 5 speed champ, and are really squishy to be a real threath to anything. Let's suppose you have one mine sitting near your army, and move excavator to deploy a mine and threathen a massive relocation powerturn. Now your opponent has 1 turn to kill a 10 hp relic, or move his army far enough to prevent major damage. Not that 10 HP is a great deal. Also, by placing a mine near your opponent, you also risk your excavator to be killed.
    Also , the ability Use Mine costs 3 AP, not a minor aspect.

IMO, the mines are what define the identity of this champ, and a proper rework of the ability to build/use them will be great.

My suggestions:

> Build mine stays CD 2, but now mines can be used the same turn they're deployed. At first glance it may seem powerful, but it's not hidden to your opponent what your plan is. Also, even if the threath range of your champs is now bigger, since Use Mine costs 3 AP, only 7 speed champ would be able to relocate and double tap anything.
    > Reduce CD of build mine to 1 and cost to 1 AP.

Any suggestions will be more than welcome.

2. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Pretty sure if mines can be used on the same turn without any adjustments it would break the 50-ish nora champ and ppl will nerf cry him to no end.

For me, mines can't contest fonts anymore which is already okay. But yes, mines are a bit redundant although it still poses a threat and I still prioritize destroying it first despite getting into a powerturn stalemate w the enemy (which forces you to reposition every turn until someone makes a mistake).

IMO if Mines can be used directly, he should at least be adjusted nora-wise to be on par with other relocation units. My understanding of his potential threat if mines can be used directly:

- Global range for relocation (with Voil transporter etc, we have to let voil transporter to be in range between where the fight is at, and deployment zone to actually take someone into the field directly. This guy can just hide in the corner until you get a good rune, and invigorate/initiative/reinforcement for an non-fun fontgibbing fiesta)

- He moves way easier than other relocators (Tunnel excludes any creepblock or potential land mines on the way towards the desired position)

While its true that Use Mine needs some AP, Talgar and the likes with Initiative/Reinforcement could really abuse it for nasty synergy in Split Factions. That's what I think people would nerfcry about.

1) I mean, I'd split with SP for Juggler+Sapper combo.

2) Or with KF's Skyshear Pegasus to instagib a font fast e.g, in Shattered Peaks map, you can put down a mine and have a 7AP flying champ instagib opp's second font. (given that you don't take your second font with the Excavator and just go directly towards opponent's second font)

3) Go FF with 2 Attendant Squire or 2 Beermaiden for that invigorate to let a newly deployed full HP tanky champ to fontgib.

4) Do the same w Invigorate fontgibbing from FS' Horn of Order.

If your FIRST IDEA is taken up, I'd personally adjust Build Mine from 14 Nora to 27 Nora. He'd be around ~65 nora. So essentially, he's a tempo hit that when used correctly could break the game, but is as u said.... super obvious to the opponent. Counterable by distract units/spells like State of Confusion to make your Excavator a living nora dump.

I think your SECOND idea is way better seems more fair on paper. I think its considered fair to punish your opponent with a 5 or 6AP champ in your face by not destroying a Mine. But CD of Build Mine should not be 1 imo, if its spammable he basically steals AP from opposing units since you kinda have to destroy the Mines anyway w/ 3AP. E.g, splitting with FW's Mason Spire and 2 Excavators spamming Mines near opponent's fonts.

TLDR: If mine works when it is deployed, adjust the cost of the skill from 14 -> 27. If we proceed with the second idea of Use Mine 1AP and Build Mine 1CD, its fair but keep Build Mine to 2CD. Spammable mines are abusable imo.

3. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

The miner and excav. Dep 1 at forward font one at shrine and you can connect.
    I suppose.

He used to be legendary tier because you could not buy him with gold.

4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Mines used to be usable on turn one. It went like this:

Deploy and camp your close font/shrine.

Use excavator or vator/collector to place mine on their shrine.

Place mine.

Teleport all your army to their shrine and kill it.

5. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

Ok, what about giving Mines a maximum range for teleport, in exchange for them being usable on turn one? 8 to 10 spaces would still be OP?

On the topic of CD, if they remain the same (2 turn CD), reduce the AP cost to 1. Mines no longer contest fonts, so your enemy can simply ignore the mine if it's placed on an awkward spot.

6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

8 would prob be ok. It takes 3 ap to use the mine and all positions for end destination might not be advantageous. So you are looking at a 1-5 savings on AP.

7. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

"The purpose of nerfing runes is to make them playable on equal footing with other runes." Statements made by those suggesting nerfs.

RIP miner.

In other news the mine laying deep miner is alot of fun and has alot of synergy with some constructs with reclaim.