Elite Executioner

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Gaiaix555, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Elite Executioner

Faction: FW

Race: Undead, Class: Warrior, Size: Small, Rarity: Rare

Artwork: An extremely muscular executioner with a black mask over his head wielding a bloody great-axe. In front of him lies the decapitated body of an elf on a Chopping Block, head to it's side.

Flavor-Text: "When he was sentenced to the guillotine he lost his hea-" ~ Elvish Dandy's last words at his execution.

Nora Cost: 78

Champion Stats
    DAM: 14, SPD: 6, RNG: 1, DEF: 2, HP: 60

Champion Abilities
    Attack: Physical
    Boon of the Undead
    Execute
    Enrage 1
    Relocate: Relic: Chopping Block (This unit may only Relocate the relic Chopping Block)
    Pragmatic: Chopping Block (While this unit is within 5 spaces of a Chopping Block relic it gains Decapitating Blow, Unstoppable, and its Execute skill has no ap cost or cooldown. This unit cannot be harmed by Chopping Block.)

Upgrade Abilities
    Rover: Exertion 2
    Berserker 2
    Relic Guardian
    Soul Harvester

What role is this Rune intend to fill?
    Elite Executioner is supposed to fill the tanky beater role, using high defensive base stats to keep in the frontline long enough to wreak havoc.

Why isn't this Rune's role being fulfilled by similar Runes?
    Currently FW is known for its super strong long ranged units that provide tons of utility (ie. Serkan, Xulos, Shadestriker). FW is also known for its cheap melee meat, such as skeletons and suicide units, but they lack a real monster in the frontline. Elite Executioner is designed to break the mold and be that frontline behemoth.

How is this Rune different from what is already in Pox Nora?
    As stated previously, there is a huge lack of great melee options in FW that aren't cheap meat like Broken Bones or summoned units that need Boost:X to achieve even sub-par stats. Elite Executioner is strong, durable, fast, and well rounded in every way, while staying thematic with the idea of an Executioner.

How is this Rune competitive and why would it be used over other Runes?
    Currently, Chopping Block is defined as a rune that sits in a font or shrine and steadily pings away at your opponent, but that is NOT how it should be used! It SHOULD be used as an execution place in the middle of battle, where it can be destroyed and must be protected. Elite Executioner is designed to not only re-define Chopping Block's purpose, but also to encourage smart use of it.

Elite Executioner boasts decent stats, lots of power, and upgrades that further define what role he will fill. Rover: Exertion 2 makes him a decent font runner (however he cannot rush early font due to it being Rover, which has been a big complaint from players), Berserker bumps up his power, Relic Guardian allow him to further use his Chopping Block, and Soul Harvester gives him a bit of a reward for slaying someone.

What makes this Rune unique and fun to use?
    Well, for one, its a remake of that old classic Executioner rune, the one only run because of its cheap font running abilities. But mostly, this rune is THEMATIC as hell. It executes people, unlike its predecessor who had to upgrade for Execute, and it does so with a Chopping Block nearby to do the deed. All of the interactions with Chopping Block define this unit, and encourages people to actually USE the block, instead of letting it sit behind their Shrine.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    soulmilk likes this.
  2. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

This is a interesting rune idea and your arguments are well reasoned. My only concern is that it has so many abilities. We plan on taking a balance pass to tone down runes to make the game more approachable. I would advise trying to distill this rune to its core function. Like only having two active abilities and three passive at the max, none the less this is an interesting idea.

3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Spellsurge: execution order

4. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

I would, but I feel Executioners should have Execute at BASE anyway, and Spellsurge fits more of a mage theme than the actual executioner itself.

Retoned him a tad, how about now? I didn't include Boon of the Undead or Basic Attack-Physical as part of the ability requirements, since those are a bit of a staple.

Changes: Nora cost reduction, removed Unequippable, changed Pragmatic to include Unstoppable to make the Block more of a "required" thing for him. Enrage reduced to rank 1, and gained Cleave to base to make up for lost damage and to give him some love when not near the Block.

Alternatively, what if we had an ability that is the Relic equiv. of Provision? That's kinda what I was shooting for with Pragmatic, but kinda need some opinions.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  5. IceNorth

IceNorth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Really interesting idea. Powerful when buffed, nothing much when block is killed. Would need prolly mason's spires and elsari mason too so that chopping blocks can survive. Real powerful, but requires a lot of setup too, in both nora and BG, so it balances out.

Clear advantages and disadvantages. When it works u mince stuff up, if it fails u have a lot of wasted nora on chops and support, but still enemy has to waste spells/ap for that too. If u want to use him correctly both blocks have to be in front lines almost, that completely changes BG strategy.

Uncommon/rare combo that is the center of a BG, can be played for most part with affordable runes, so it's even good for new players without many runes and trade power.

Flavor vise he lacks some effect when he kills a champ (ap and attack chain reset, or even better sacrifitial blade effect, souldrinker i think ability is called?) , instead of enrage or cleave, or both even if greens think one less ability means he'll be created. On upgrades i would swap out aggressive, simply as executioners are supposed to be detached and cold blooded professionals, for another on kill effect.

Thought chop block BG's were kinda dull, but if it gets a champ like this i would deffo like to try it :D

6. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Would Soul Harvester work in place of Aggressive?

7. IceNorth

IceNorth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Hm could work, always hated that it's on crappy champs.

8. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Changed the upgrades. And yeah, I was trying to redefine the purpose of chopping blocks, since I feel "hiding" them is stupid and anti-thematic.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  9. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Bumped for sweet justice and more responses!

10. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

11. rickyjpen

rickyjpen Devotee of the Blood Owl

I like the idea of it in fact very much so... It makes people consider moving their chopping blocks around the map as opposed to letting them sit behind their shrine. I am all for that. Makes them more counterable yet still more powerful in the same sense.

12. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Thanks for that Ricky! That is exactly what I was going for with the Chopping Block interactions....their current use isn't only anti-thematic, but also toxic to the gameplay itself.

13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I like the feel of this rune. I have never liked that chopping blocks are hidden in the back somewhere and have always felt that they needed a range. However I understood that doing so would kill the rune. Having a unit like this would allow chopblock to be regulated to something like 8 range and not be shoeboxed. But like Senshu said it is a tad overwhelming. If you don't mind I would like to trim it a bit and you can work from there. If you don't like it then please disregard, your own concept is already quite unique and awesome.
    Changes are in orange :)

Ancient Headsman

Nora Cost: 74
    Class: Warrior
    Race: Not Skeleton :p

Champion Stats
    DAM: 14, SPD: 6, RNG: 1, DEF: 2, HP: 55 (60 Base HP is HUGE especially on a sub-80 cost unit.)

Champion Abilities
    Attack: Physical
    Boon of the Undead
    Relocate: Relic No need to restrict relocate to Chop Block. It gives him other uses with decks like say, Stitched, Liches with Phylactery Bound etc.
    Pragmatic: Chopping Block (While this unit is within 5 spaces of a Chopping Block relic it gains Decapitating Blow, Unstoppable, and Execute. This unit cannot be harmed by Chopping Block.)

Upgrade Abilities
    Rover: Exertion 2 -> Precision
    Berserker 2 -> Fear 2
    Relic Guardian
    Soul Harvester -> Soul Collection

14. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

I'll address your changes one at a time

Name: The Name doesn't really mean all that much, I just went with something simple to show his "job" as the redefining rune of Executioner.

Class: He already had Warrior in the op?

Stats: I was thinking of dropping his health, so I'm fine with this.

Race: He had Undead as his race, and I don't feel any others would fit. He isn't a ghost, or a skelly, or living, etc.

Base Skills: Execute MUST be on base. There are no two ways around it, I am a huge believer in Executioners having Execute w/o spending an upgrade point. I will not budge on that in the slightest. The other skills were simply to make him more powerful, but then again I guess his job could just be the "Relic-Guy" for chops. The theme obviously isn't fleshed out.

Relocate: I did this to disrupt his playability outside of chops, mainly because I want to encourage the theme. Relocating anything would be fine, but then people might just use that instead of in a normal Chops bg. Then again, no one uses FW Relic bgs anyway, except for the stitched. I'm okay with this change.

Pragmatic: He MUST have Execute at base, so I have to disagree. Also, when he is around the Block, I wanted him to truly feel powerful, hence the ability to Execute for free. Using a combination of 6 speed and the Rover Exertion upgrade, the Elite reaches 8ap, which is just enough to use 2 Basic Attacks with Cost-less Executes backing them.

Upgrades: These were made to make it more thematic, and like the original Executioner.

Exertion was the whole selling point of the first Executioner rune, but being able to use it to capture fonts on the first turn was always a complaint. Instead of making Exertion come into play with a cooldown, instead I decided on Rover, so that he may still use it in a fight and NOT to super-speed-cap fonts.

Berserker just felt like it fit the theme more than Fear, but I was considering it.

Soul Harvester was originally Aggressive, but was changed due to feedback received by the other players who wanted it to have some sort of on-kill bonus. Soul Collection doesn't quite fit the theme in my opinion.

TL;DR: Thanks so much for reviewing, and your suggestions are well grounded! I don't agree with all of them, but they make sense and are good for game health.

15. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I'm not thinking of any major changes, and I quite like the way it looks. Just two upgrade ideas:

1. Throw Axe (because ranged and axe ^^)
    2. Declare Hunted (because it's nice and ominous and makes the Elite Executioner especially scary for one of the enemy units. This could also be added to the Executioner for additional synergy)

Apart from point 2 of my suggestion, can you explain why the original Executioner would ever get run in a chop. It seems like he might need something too and if an Elite version came out, I would love to see a better reason to run him.

examples:
    Declare Hunted
    Leverage: Elite Executioner
    Headsman (When this unit kills an enemy champion, allied champions with Headsman gain +1 Damage and +1 Defense)

Just some extra reasons to bring an in Executioner.

16. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

I was thinking of some changes to the old Executioner, but didn't want to clutter the owls with stuff.

17. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

The best idea i've heard for Chopping block was to increase it's health slightly, limit it's effect to an AOE, and give it Intimidating.

There should be risk/reward while using Chopping Block. Your suggested immunity to it's effects seems unhealthy. Your modification of the AP cost & CD of an ability, as part of Pragmatic, seems unhealthy too. Relic Guardian & Pragmatic seem redundant together. The more i look at it, the less i like Pragmatic.

Instead of Pragmatic, why not give the unit Tormented? It would still interact positively with Chopping Block, and it seems like it would be healthier than immunity to it's effects.

+3 DMG from Enrage, +3 DMG from Berserker, +4 DMG from Relic Guardian, 14 base DMG, & +50% DMG from Execute. OP much? Oh yeah, your design also kills anything with less than 25% health...

18. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

Pragmatic is supposed to be the equivalent of Provision, except with Relics.

I am all for Chopping Block to receive a range nerf, hp buff, etc, but this isn't a thread about Chopps, its about Elite Executioner.

You cry it has too much damage, but yet it would get more from Tormented.....

I will admit it gets scary in the damage department, but to do so it has to be near AND keep the Block alive. It's supposed to be a theme.....I mean, Fist of Bastion can instakill stuff, IS Scarlet Wing gets crazy damage, FW has repurpose, etc.

Please give creative feedback that isn't "It's op", I am looking to improve upon/fix the runes flaws.

19. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

I have no idea why Provision is a hidden ability, but it's fundamentally different than your ability. Equipment costs Nora that you expend for benefits on a single champion. Relics cost Nora that you expend for AOE or global benefits. Not to mention that Provision gives relatively minor stat increases and a single mechanic (i am calling Block + Riposte a single mechanic here). Your ability gives the unit infinite 0 AP attacks which deal 36+ DMG each & destroy champions below 25% health automatically, and is triggered by a Nora expenditure that you didn't sacrifice for benefits on your champion alone.

My feedback is constructive, your rune is overpowered, and comparing it to other unhealthy runes doesn't justify it. It's stupidly powerful, and can 2 shot probably half of the champions in this game (at 36 damage it can 2 shot anything <=48 health, at 40 damage <=53).

Your suggestion is as much for Chopping Block as it is for your rune idea, as your rune idea is dependent on changes to Chopping Block to function.

P.S. I suggested that Tormented replace Pragmatic. I also think that Tormented's tiers should be at 90/70/50/30 from 80/60/40/20