Elsari Spectre

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Fikule, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Elsari Spectre
    Faction: Forsaken Wastes
    Race:
    Undead Spirit, Class: Warrior, Size: Small, Rarity: Uncommon

Artwork
    : A skeletal apparition in ragged armour and robes, dragging a greatsword in both hands.

Flavor-Text: "Those who would not follow Elsarin into darkness were tortured far beyond their mere death."
    Nora Cost:

Champion Stats
    DAM:
    13, SPD: 6, RNG: 1, DEF: 2, HP: 44

Champion Abilities
    Attack - Physical
    Equip: Ancient Elsari Helm (
    Equipped champion loses all AP after activating an ability (including attacks). When the equipped champion dies, this equipment targets the nearest valid enemy champion of the helm's owner.)
    Tormented
    Evasive 1

Upgrade Abilities
    Add Race: Skeleton (
    This unit gains the Skeleton race)
    Surge: Spirits
    Ichor: Reflexes
    Soul Feast

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    RedScarlet likes this.
  2. Fikule

Questions to Answer:

To encourage a healthy discussion and increase the chances of your Rune suggestions being selected please answer the following questions in your suggestion post.

• What role is this Rune intend to fill?
    Tanky Skeletal Berserker
    or
    Conditional Spirit Powerhouse
    • Why isn't this Rune's role being fulfilled by similar Runes?
    Skeletal Bersekers are currently cheap in terms of nora and made to get in and wreck people. This one has the same general purpose for a higher cost with the benefit of extra survival.

No current spirits really utilize Soul Feast effectively right now. This is a shame as spirits are a big source of Soultap.
    • How is this Rune different from what is already in Pox Nora?
    This rune uses a negative equipment as a limiter on it's capabilities. In this case the Ancient Elsari Helm prevents the rune from ever attack twice. So while the rune has a large damage potential, it cannot double it up.

It is also a method of bringing the equipment into enemy play. Once the champion dies, the helm will then transfer to an enemy unit. This is an interesting interaction as the unit's downside becomes a bonus upon death.
    • How is this Rune competitive and why would it be used over other Runes?
    It has two built in theme positions and can output good damage. It is slightly nora efficient due to the equipment giving it a limiter. It will also be used as a source of negative equipment.
    • What makes this Rune unique and fun to use?
    Thee scenarios here:
    1. The challenge of boosting the unit with skeletons and obtaining Reflexes 3 for maximum potential tanking. A unique option here is skeletons access to Shatter, allowing them to optionally disarm the unit, giving up the death benefit of the equipment for the damage potential and saved AP.

2. Successfully lining up Surge: Spirits, Tormented and Soul Feast to output the maximum potential damage before death.

3. Bringing in a negative equipment to the playfield via one of your own champions. This gives you the choice of shattering or letting it pass. If the enemy has no source of disarming, the equipment is a new sort of challenge to deal with.

3. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

I would never use a champion that upon dead send that negative equipment to my other champions.

Both Spirits and Skeletons also has plenty of melee beaters.

4. Fikule

"...this equipment targets the nearest valid enemy champion of the helm's owner."

In skeletons he is more tanky than most beaters for the higher cost.

In spirits there isn't a spirit who uses Soul Feast as a base ability yet. He is more of an assassin in this role.

Probably doesn't help that you thought he cost that much and the equipment went to your champions :p

5. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Honestly, I like the idea. I could see this champ working out in either Skeletal or Spirit Bgs. NOT both. Most champs have one racial that they belong to, then upgrades to define how you wish to play them. Example Hekatian Arbiter. Bleed BG or Anti-Range, Or Mix of Both, Assault + Bleed. I don't think the set up where he can be done in both Spirits and Skeletals is Necessary. Personally I would say you should "Flesh out" the Skeletal upgrade and either add Defiant Upgrade. It fits the lore as well.

6. BansheeX

Ok, i missed that it would target enemy champions. In that case he might have some merit, but the fact that he cant stealth makes him lackluster for spirits.
    Perhaps add Shadowspawned and Escape to make him more sneaky.

7. Fikule

I can see the advantage of putting him in either one or the other, but if I was to choose one, I would probably go the spirit route.

Maybe just give him stealth? Sounds easy, but with the Helm on, he has to choose between stealthing and hitting. And when he stealths he loses all AP, so he can't move until the next turn (So the enemy knows where he is for his turn). I doubt that would need any additional cost on him.

Really makes it a "get into combat" ability as he won't have the option to hit and run with it.

8. BansheeX

Any activateable abilities other than Attack would render him instantly shoebox.

9. Fikule

Even one that he just didn't have before? I don't see the issue.

You move him 4 spaces towards the enemy, 2 ap left, stealth. End turn.

It just means he can't stealth while also fighting. But it lets him get into combat.

10. BansheeX

A new rune has to be able to replace an existing one. The one you have come up with is not one i would include instead of any of the other melee champions in skeletons/Spirits.

11. Fikule

I wouldn't want him to replace something, just be a separate option. Basically thinking he should go in if you imagine more units will be soul tapped. Tbh he should be introduced when there is better soul tap synergy overall.

I mean with just 4 other spirits in play he is hitting for 27 assuming he isn't using Tormented. I suppose maybe add Stealth as a weak stealth option and Strike to emphasis that he is about getting in the critical hits.

To be honest, some suggestions of what else he could have added would be nice. :)

We could also assume an Ancient Elsari Helm on your own unit is still a worth of 10-15 nora for the payoff when he dies, so that might be worth noting with his price.

I am aware however, that the 45 nora value of the Elsari Helm is incredibly overcosted in itself.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014