Embrace The Pride Of Ailur; A Guide to Leoss.

Discussion in 'Split Faction' started by Nexx, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

My apologies for those who want to play Leoss and use my guide as a track path for it. But I'll be slightly delaying this project, so it won't be done for a while, I've got things to do that prioritize over this, but I truly am going to finish this eventually.

Hello.

I'll use this short paragraph to introduce myself. My in-game name is Dorigon, I'm sure some of you may know me. I've been around since the early official release of PoxNora, but not under this name. The game's changed alot over the years, and I was a child when I first started. Children always dream of reaching the top in a game, and that was my intention for PoxNora. I didn't exactly achieve it, but I came close. I ranked 6-25 Limited for a good few months. My main faction being SL, but lately I haven't been impressed so I decided to play something I don't normally see; Leoss. I've been playing Leoss for a few months now, even before the migration, and I can tell you, they're still meta, people just don't see their potential.

0. Index
    0. Index
    1. An Introduction to Leoss
    2. General Examples of Battlegroups
    3. My Battlegroup
    4. Champions
    5. Spells
    6. Relics
    7. Equipment

1. An Introduction to Leoss

The Leoss, a Lonx-like race of warriors were created and introduced into PoxNora early on in the Maljaran Frontier expansion. Leoss are currently an underestimated theme, hence the reason why there are such few Leoss players. Leoss are all about activating their racial, both the Soul of Ailur and Pride of Ailur. The problem with it though, is the fact they need to be a little clumped together, exposing you to AoE effects. But, it's not inevitable to separate them, you could always put them together when you feel like going aggressive. Leoss have both a good early-on and a good late game. They're somewhat immune to rushes due to their Sole champion potential and power, and can also cause rushes aswell. They are extremely sufficient in turtling, and as the game progresses, the stronger they become. Their natural enemies, the Kanen, have fought war after war against the Leoss, always being outnumbered, but never with less power. Leoss are a technically combination of Barbarians. Garu and Lonx, their play styles don't differ so much, but that of Leoss is unique, which is all the more reason that makes them fun.

2. General Examples of Battlegroups

First Battlegroup:
    http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/cyjCyhCiyCyzcyxChjCylcuuCiucoqs19S2Lsls13s4GsPsNs4Vs1pr1_rYr5e1@

Second Battlegroup:
    http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/cyjCyhCiycyfcihcyzCyxChjCylciucoqs19S2Lsls13s4GsPsNs4Vs1pr1_rYr5e1@

These are what your Leoss bg should look like in general, pure Leoss. A good BG of course, will not solely contain Leoss, but excessive power aswell. Again, these are only General BGs, they are recommended if you're starting out with Leoss.

3. My Battlegroup

Battlegroup:
    http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/cyjCyhCiyCyzChjCylc6icuuCiucfgcoqs19S2Lsls13s4GsPsNsKr30rYr5e1@

Explanation;

Guide to be continued.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    singinsammy likes this.
  2. bolthero11

bolthero11 New Member

May i ask if the barrier is a good card in a leoss deck?

3. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

The barrier? Not sure if that's a rune, unless you're talking about The Barricade. If so, it isn't, because if you decide to run architects, you can use those instead.

4. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I think he's talking about mosharn

5. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

I really doubt it's Mosharn, since he would've used his name. Mosharn or Hraken are auto in any competitive Leoss bg. Hraken being the complex one to make use of, he requires a high skillcap to be able to control him, while Mosharn is fairly easy to use, and do a better job than Hraken from close up.

6. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

i thot its the other way around

7. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

Back then, it probably was since alot of themes lacked range. Leoss don't exactly need range to be efficient. Hraken is alot harder to mantain, he's really squishy and once he gets caught he's done for, and can easily be one rounded. On the other hands, keeping Mosharn alive isn't a really big issue, he's a low risk-high reward rune. His description wasn't made for jokes, it's literally what he does. He goes in, wrecks, and in worst case scenario after doing his job, die. I'm not saying Hraken's a bad pick, I actually like him alot more than Mosharn, but in efficiency, depending on your bg build, Mosharn's alot better and easier to use.

8. nico

nico I need me some PIE!

9. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

Alright. So first off, 2x Ward of Ailurs isn't viable at all, you only need 1 in your bg, that should be enough. Take down the Guard tower, Blizzard Cloak, and the Keeneye crown. Throw in another Leoss monk, Bloodmane Ravager And Cleansing Storm. Also, this is personal preference, but, I recommend dropping the Architect and adding another Bluefist. If you want to see a little glimpse at how or what's viable for Leoss you can look at my bg.

10. bolthero11

bolthero11 New Member

May i ask why do you run two bloodmanes

11. Jirbear

Jirbear New Member

Here are a few of my opinions on leoss and what has been said here.

1) Barrier is an IS spell, it is not useful, especially at 45 nora.
    2) Mosharn vs Hraken. Mosharn is hilariously strong (I once killed 4 full health units with 2 attacks), he can also make some incredible comebacks. Hraken takes a bit more skill but is super cool.
    3) Running 2 Ward of Ailurs is definitely viable, they have 2 range, evasive, sunder, and stun. Not to mention "Equalize" which makes them very nora efficient. Also, they are white tigers, which is awesome.
    4) Run 2 Bastion Remnants, Warcry is one of the most powerful abilities in the game, 84 nora is chump change for that ability (Look at Lance Admiral Scien, Garu Kodiak). Albeit, the warcry is conditional to leoss, but we are running leoss, right? Also, the stats on this guy are ridiculous.
    5) Wish is awesome. You can run more survivability on champs like Bluefist and Mosharn, then wish in CA:Stun/Cleave when it's more situationally appropriate. Also a lot of leoss have excellent upgrades that come in handy in certain situations.
    6) Ice Storm not the best option since leoss don't have arctic for the ice left behind, but then the options for aoe spells are limited if you like running them. Bane blast is solid, with some stun synergy with Bluefist.
    7) Jangar Arcanis I would suggest only running one if any. Champs with no basic attacks are risky, and leoss play is more "in your face" not so much bomb/range sieging. Another Leoss Druid to replace one arcanis would be good. Druids have heal mass 3 and 17 dmg at 5 range with pride active, which is really good.
    8) Blizzard Cloak is so good.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  12. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

Playing 2x Bastion Remnants and 2x Ward Of Ailurs is completely up to the person creating his battlegroup. I'm in no position to tell people what to run, but I'm giving my recommendation. Ward Of Ailur isn't mobile, and you won't always get to pull off what you can compared to other leoss. If you feel like your positioning with Remnant is bad, then you can and have a reason to run two. Otherwise, it's a waste of a slot. Second of all, Leoss lack AoEs and you saw, the spell ice storm isn't as viable with them but you're pretty much forced to do so since it's probably the best option. Jangar Arcanis will always be 2x Auto, no matter how you look at it, and no matter how risky it may be. You need their AoE. Druids are a really good option, I just don't like them. Blizzard cloak isn't bad, I don't like it in Leoss specifically though, they have enough endurance as it stands.

13. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

I just like them as a rune in general. As you can see my signature indicates it. They're extremely efficient damage wise. But they're risky, if you don't know how to play them right, I don't recommend them. But if you want a hardcore beater that can get tanky, then Bloodmane's an efficient rune.

14. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

why not walls of ailur?

15. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

I have found two ways to playing leoss as a bg, both resulting in two different types of phalanx.

The first is the Hold the line phalanx that revolves around mosharn or wall acting as the "main tanks" while they control the enemy while absorbing damage, a leoss warcry is triggered and suddenly everything changes momentum.

The second is the powerturn method. It requires you to deploy most of your key champions, and getting off a series of warcries to kill key champions while using spells for positioning.

The first type is the one that Nex seems to favor, with Mosharn acting as a "key stone" tank unit. Once hes dead the game is pretty much over and without any sustain or defensive things granted on him, he falls fast, courage is the main thing holding him together, healing hand is a must on him at all times during combat, you never know what your opponent is capable of until its too late.

Hraken only really needs 1 spell to be ran competitivly, and that spell is Righteous Deflection. With that spell ran 2x combined with Intimidating, Hraken can typically anhilate any unit he hits twice(and should be able to reach them with spells like swap, gale force and haste and invigorate for positioning) and not have to worry about any champions with ranged attacks, or worry about melee that doesn't have fearless(or a source of prestige). Like mosharn if he start to take lots of burst damage, you can cast courage for livability, but the thing about hraken is that His livability can reach a certain peak where it becomes less of " attack and kill" to the "counter to kill" as his self healing from a double hit will get him atleast 30 hp if not more...

Most of the time I play Hraken cause when I want that full hp thing dead without sending my whole army in, Hraken gets it done with 8 ap.

Wall of Aluir is also a very solid unit, hes just costly in a game where high cost units are avoided strongly due to the flux of meta units that can anihilate these for less cost. Unlike Mosharn he is more of a stall tank rather than a pure killing machine. shroud helps when hes holding the line. He makes setting up phalanxes pretty easy, but clustered and risky. He can also deal quite alot of damage if played right.

16. Anotherblackman

and for those of you who don't know Ravager, Multi attack and Reflexes 2. He is tanky as heck and with warcry he gains 4 ap.

1 remnmant, a monk and a ravager can anihilate the enemy over and over.

17. Anotherblackman

My Bg is built more on surviving or pushing the early rush, setting up for mid game annihilation, clutch spell plays to secure victory. Tactical Manual is a very useful equip on Leoss, regardless of who they are, they all have high hitpoints and need the survivability.

I made it themed around making a battlegroup as effecient as it could be, I think I did a pretty decent job and the milage you get on your champions in this bg is worth it.
    http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/CyjCyhcihcyzCyxChjCylc4Zcyks4Bs19S2LS5qS6MSPsNr1yrYe1vE3i

18. Nexx

Nexx I need me some PIE!

14 Champions isn't enough for a Leoss BG. I recommend having at least 15. Yes, leoss are expensive nora wise, but you're throwing yourself in danger here, 60% of the time you won't draw "That Champion", if you know what I mean. Healing Hand x2 isn't a good option, though healing hand itself is good, so I recommend just running 1x if you really want it in the BG. Might of the Ironfist, you'll only need one, I was looking into this spell to be fair, and I really think I'll be running it. The combos it pulls of in Leoss is substantial. Same goes for Righteous deflection, you'll only need one, and it's auto. I won't judge your Leoss side since you seem to be convinced with what you're running, but it isn't bad, still, I'd make a few changes to that Leoss roster. And I need to stress on this, you should run 15+ champions, no less, believe me you won't regret doing it.

1. This isn't a reliable strategy, although it works. Once you get into higher ranks, you'll know precisely what I mean. You're overestimating the Leoss potential.

2. You'll need the nora for that. Pulling off good powerturns isn't hard with leoss, but pulling off a God-Mode Powerturn isn't easy. Leoss are all about kill or be killed. Though stalling is a good strategy with Leoss, and though Leoss scale well, they will start falling off against certain bgs, an example being zombies or UD.

3. It's not that I favor it, but it's reliable in most cases. I don't pull it off often, though. Mosharn is going to be that champion that can either turn your whole game around, or he can end it in your enemy's favor. Think of Mosharn as poker. With this strategy, you should always make sure your defenses are ready, including backup champions to try and finish off what he started if in this case, dies.

4. This is the second version of the "Mosharn" strategy, except it's with Hraken. But don't rely on this too much, alot of champions in the current meta can easily attain fearless. Especially the fact that there are so many spell spammers out there, it's ridiculous.

5. Wall of Ailur is a good champion, don't get me wrong. He's just not worth the nora compared to your other units. Your champions are expensive enough as is, you don't need to keep holding the burden. I'd run him if he got tweaked a little, otherwise, I'm not touching him.

19. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Isn't that a tasty chicken? add some intill panic to go with it.

20. Anotherblackman

Recalling the powerturn method, MY battlegroup follows that scheme as it does match my playstyle when it comes to poxnora in general, clutch plays win games rather than battlegroups.

In a leoss battlegroup if you follow this deployment scheme you will make it to mid game setup fairly easy

Vs early melee champions rushing, deploy a druid to slow them down and block their entry with the tangle.

vs early range deploy evasive tanks(leoss monk with evasive 3 is boss, bloodmane, bastion remenant, Chester the detector)

Magnates for divine favor to heal whatever damage they poke on you before the real fighting begins

Hasting begins, powerturning can start beginning once you have the damage bonus from soul on your pride units while using leoss monks and bloodmane ravagers as your main tanks and bastion remnant as an "off tank( protect him with spells if hes in the middle of the fray"

My battlegroup has a high skill cap I think because you have to choose the best moves possible at ALL times. Either that be deployment choices and champions and spells. you also have to balance out the spell spam with champion deployment mid-early game if you get a terrible draw

Im currently rank 48 playing this, but I have risen to higher ranks closer to the top 20s.
    It is also the most consistant Leoss bg I have developed.