Essence devourer/Vengeful/Cheap meat

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by DukeofDunks, Apr 28, 2017.

1. DukeofDunks

DukeofDunks I need me some PIE!

Chattering maw sounds like a terrible idea, it doesnt fuel any of the vengeful runes. Its obviously a good rune but i dont know if it has a place here, especially in place of a cheaper rune that gives double vengeful value.

I dont actually need to use tome of hate enough to warrant x2 though having x2 bazaar definitely has merit since the bazaar is absolutely going to be eating anti-relic spells before the tome.

2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Chattering maw would be god awful in this BG. and the main anti relic you need to worry about is seism if they run a skeezick trigger with overload then your relics are ****ed anyway nothing u can do about it

3. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

i think dice is confused and remembers when worms had race undead.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  4. DukeofDunks

Im beginning to think im just playing this wrong. Ive got a half finished kanen deck and im already having way more success with that than this bg. Im just assuming thats because im more naturally inclined to power turn/rush centric playstyle than the attrition present here.

What time does @themacca usually play? I wouldnt mind spectating someone who actually knows how to use this deck actually use it and its not exactly popular. The only thing FW being played is skele's and worms. Or split.

5. themacca

About 3 hours earlier from now is the usual time im on if i am on. Im honestly not an amazing player especially not lately but i've got a good grasp of this deck. I'll have a look through my videos to see if i play a deck like this one in any of them.

6. themacca

By all means mute my horrible commentary but here ya go

7. DukeofDunks

Gotta be better than me, i doubt your page looks like this [​IMG]

8. themacca

Lately that's exactly what it looks like haha. Im having a lot of bad luck with draws maps and IS matchup

9. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

You should try out collection of souls or high warlock to have more champions which can benefit from death.

Also consider using short lived 65 nora deathcasters,you get an essence drain,death nova and few ranged attacks.

10. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Considering how short most of these games are, it might be a good idea to include more early game strength. Wandering zombie and executioner are both cheap melee that are good at stabilizing your early game.

11. DukeofDunks

A lot of those games are surrenders because of player incompetence rather than the bg. You are right though, I need a heavy hitter thats not ranged or short lived(Though i reckon thats why the bloodfiend is here even if he might as well be short lived), one of my losses was simply because my opponent played a vothsair and then gave it a fire seed so it could chew through my wandering zombie. By the time i got a decent enough force to one round it with essence drain he managed to get awestruck on it and it was obviously game over from there.

Ive actually taken out unholy tomb because i never find myself just floating 40 nora and would rather put the tome out over absorb magic. Yes, its a good rune. Yes it pays itself back in short order but it doesnt do anything the turn you play it and by the time i can afford that tempo hit the games already snowballed irrevocably into my favor and added a second graveyard back, purely because the amount of time im sitting on my hands with 1 or 2 dead runes waiting endlessly for that graveyard to finally be revealed is just too often and the ED is absolutely a big rune to get out there early.

Maybe i could afford to sit on my hands if i had the disgusting time waster that is wailing spirit and i could always try x2 wandering zombie i suppose but the amount of games you win when you get the ED out turn 1/2/3 are far higher than those you dont i find.

Edit; @themacca Why dont you use crawling corpse?, its cheap. It demands attention, its race:undead and provides useful ranged damage(Damage that cirumvents defenses like nokhando,riposte and arrow eater at that) Is lumbering too great a penalty in this deck? Same question extends to afflicted corpse.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  12. DukeofDunks

Mk3 of the bg, tiny revision and thoughts on runes

[​IMG]

x2 graveyard- Very satisfied with this, A turn 1 graveyard is disgusting on certain maps(specifically kthir alt and forsaken waste) and in maps where nora fonts are awkwardly spaced from the center you get to send a cheap, 40 nora unit to go do it while simultaneously racking up walking damage bonuses. Once more, i get why you only run one but i cannot express how much better ive felt actually having a graveyard when i wanted it.

Crawling corpse- Went ahead and did my own testing, can no longer look at the bg without him. Punishing aura is absolutely hysterical in the hoops the enemy will jump through to deal with and outside of essence devourer there isnt a better font contester in the bg. He provides disgusting support in the mid font, forcing enemies to focus him -and- having them run around and waste their AP to avoid getting nuked. AOE chip damage bar none when combined with disease breath. A great target for whisperghast to relocate if you dont get him out early, which is where he would suffer the most from lumbering.

Repurpose- Once more, continually feel better about this rune. I find myself getting more and more use out of it and its a great way to really spike your damage in a bg with little direct damage

---

Potential revision;

Polluted martyr- Sits in the rune dock all game every game, Im looking at this rune and thinking its great value for nora but it doesnt -do- anything, its damage is mediocre and its main use is as a psuedo direct damage spell or when someone surprised me and capped my natural font and i need to contest it but thats hilariously conditional. Almost assuredly getting cut, likely for a direct damage spell because thats often what i feel im lacking. Somewhere to squeeze a nuke onto some ******* that barely lived and hungry dead being both physical damage and two instances of small damage isnt very suitable for the job.

Im actually thinking about squeezing an eye of serkan in. Its race undead so its a vendetta target(at rng 6!), with the graveyard skeletons and the broken bones dying constantly it will be generating a load of AP per turn and most importantly, its a source of detection in a bg completely lacking it.

13. DukeofDunks

[​IMG]

New patch, new revisions.

Added
    Obsidian venger- To be completely honest, hes 100% here because he looks cool. That, and hes an absolute legend. Currently running him stock with escalating rage and oblivion shield and hes won me more than one games by himself. Absolutely disgusting potential, a lovely target for either bone circle or vendetta and honestly not all that expensive. Currently running him for likely the same reason @themacca runs coragh(Difficult to kill, good damage) Only hes 10+ nora cheaper than coragh at the expense of losing 2 vengeful procs, not that good of a deal really but he brings a lot more pain than coragh thats for sure.

Fallen draksar- Shatter is the new ruin, which means this guy gets massive buffs for cleaning negative equipment off your own champions(at least, according to @Hierokliff ). He was already a decent body for 55 nora but now he can provide a valuable service AND function as a psuedo bruiser, just great.

Soulreave- Mostly as a response to those Firking superchamp bg's that this deck just doesnt function against(majestic vothsairs, how fun) that ive bumped into more than my liking. Also serves to get around pesky abilities like ethereal(even if the venger brings some much desired magical damage) and one with nora/void shield. Apparently doesnt work against either mirrored or evasive, wish i could test it but thanks to the new clients difficulty to chat with people i cant get a volunteer.

Removed

Blood fiend- Just too difficult to use, between life siphon not covering his ability costs and his inability to pressure side fonts and make slight repositions during standoffs the only time i ever really deploy him is as a font guardian(which any rune can do realistically) To say nothing of the fact that hes actually 12(in the best situation, which is never) health lower than his stats say he is i just dont deploy him enough to really keep him around. Even when i do deploy him he doesnt particularly wow me, One more auto attack beater which im not really hurting for

Graveyard- I cant say i like it but it was the only extraneous rune i can think to get rid of. Having 2 for the guaranteed draw is nice and with one already out supplying your essence devourer your opponent never suspects the cheeky 2 square off font capture. With the inclusion of the venger and growing intimate with knockback 3 zombie behemoth for that cheeky 15 psuedo LoL damage im not really hurting for a big mean rune to fight the other guys big mean font contester, Crawling corpse earning special mentions(multiple sources of ranged damage encouraging the enemy melee unit to scrap with a 12 base damage 60 nora unit)

Polluted martyr- Nothing to say that hasnt already been said

Thoughts

It was a tough decision between blood fiend and crawling corpse but with punishing aura's cost decrease and the desire for alternate damage sources(Not basic attacks) i picked CC even though most of my frontline is painfully slow. On the upside, with said cost decrease i can actually run it on the skeletal excavator which makes that unit infinitely better. Now its a sack of HP your opponent actually wants to get rid of instead of being a 70 nora demolish spell

Still desperate for a detection unit but spots are squeezed pretty thin. Still dont have the funds for an eye of serkan which is likely what id use(Got the venger instead, can you blame me?) Spots are too competitive for death harvester(Dropping 55 nora on a non-combatant is a hard thing to do i find, Entire reason i took out unholy tomb. The tempo loss hurts too much) could use bone elemental i suppose and probably not the worst idea.

Hungry dead- Probably the next rune to go, Its complete uselessness against IS is beyond annoying(to say nothing of runes with tough) and i never use it for its CC effect, almost purely as that final bit of chip damage to one round a rune. Id likely run anathema instead were it not an entire 15 nora more expensive. Considering chain lightning as a replacement.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Is he the only expensive champion in your deck other than Serkan? I am not too familiar with FW art.

15. themacca

7 units over 70. Genesis lich whisperghast xulos obsidian venger bone circle archmage serkan skeletal excavator

Ill discuss more when i Get home

16. DukeofDunks

Xulos at 91 for maximum dark favor value

Serkan at 97 since vengeful will snowball him into a monster so getting an alternate attack type in frost breath is incredibly

Venger at 82

The blue collar ranged damage(genesis lich and whisperghast) are both 73, and specialty runes( bone circle mage and excavator) are 75 and 77 nora respectively

Everything past that is 60 and under

17. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I was just curious for Refute purposes when facing these decks. I hit venger against you last night but I was kinda unsure when I played the spell. You only had 92 nora at the time and I didnt know how many high value targets I could possibly hit.

18. DukeofDunks

Not that many as youre now aware of. What rune of yours was it that prevented AP generation? Whenever i face players vastly better than myself it doesnt take too long until im so annoyed at the blatant misplays i make i just surrender, didnt think to check at the time.

19. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Blockade on Kingsmaker.

20. DukeofDunks

Yeah that figures, new rune and everyone runs soften on them so i didnt even check.

As a side note, my winrate has skyrocketed against people not blatantly better than i am, which is great. Approaching 1200 rating which feels good, even if thats not that good all things considered.

[​IMG]

Hell i would have actually beaten 12drakula if i had a Firking detection unit

Last edited: May 29, 2017