Essence devourer/Vengeful/Cheap meat

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by DukeofDunks, Apr 28, 2017.

1. DemonicWiz

DemonicWiz The King of Potatoes

Is there a poor man version of this that decentish?
    Don't have Coragh, Genesis Lich, Skeletal Excavator, Bone Circle Archmage and Zombie Rotwrapper.
    Or do you not suggest zombies unless you have them?

2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Replace coragh with fallen draksar. Genesis lich with elsari culler. There's nothinh really like those last 2 though. Would advise some neat spot utility

3. DemonicWiz

DemonicWiz The King of Potatoes

I see. Thanks for the info.

4. voodoov

voodoov I need me some PIE!

dont forget cleric of unrest. the heal from killing real skellies + utility is great.
    Arrojo Portal is also a great way to keep ed alive. Maybe even with a riftlords one.

Woffleet likes this.
  5. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

2nd. THat clkeric healing is so good. + ity has utilitily. Def need to run.

6. DukeofDunks

DukeofDunks I need me some PIE!

Cleric might be an interesting replacement for repurpose(namely, hes there to squeeze value out of expendable runes) He can even be run at his cheapest for 59 nora with leverage lich since theres a fair few of those in this bg.

Unsure if its actually better, my instincts say "probably". Its an added body(and thus vengeful proc) on the board and one with range, magic attack and invigorate at that but having played the bg a fair bit ive gotten an awful lot of use out the global nature of repurpose in addition to the effect being stellar in general, especially when used to salvage the essence devourer if the enemy manages to kill the graveyard(Either through double seism or simply because they managed to draw theirs first turn and you dont have the nora for a relic buffer in addition to a champion

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  7. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

I shrekt this type of deck last night, I just used my dead fairy with soul reaver + elsari night to kill the vengeful, and I used black pearl + manic zombie + an essence drain to get in close.

I don't like relying on expensive champions, it seems they can be disabled / played around too easily for the cost. I think the equip which grants vengeful to liches is a smart way to play it, because you can get a more solid set up, and insurance policy in soul sift.

8. DiCEM0nEY

Cleric +bile zombie is an insane combo, especially when coupled with putrid creeper. Tbh, I'm probably going to make this type of deck tn. Repurpose is really good with short lived units in my experience. Also champions with high stats, low upgrade costs, and negative nora modifiers (zombie behemoths for instance). I generally do not like the spell too much personally.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I support leaning towards Statue over Vengeful.

10. DiCEM0nEY

Xulous statue? I like that thing, but the CD of xulous is so long you almost need grave trend. Then you have to worry about immunity psychic, elusive, arrow eater, evasive, ruining your key piece - let's face it, you don't REALLY want to be using dark pact when u have that out. 25 nora is actually a pretty substantial cost for the state as well.

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The point of Statue is that it accrues long-term value even if the center-piece champion dies, which is fundamentally different from running a Vengeful super champ. Makes the deck way less vulnerable to single-target gimps.

12. DiCEM0nEY

I get that, but I guess what I'm saying is it's better not to bother with either, and just stick to cheap meat spam. Statues are a great idea for a vampire rework, but they are so inefficent with xulous. You are paying for a dark pact you essentially don't want to use, and 25 nora really is expensive for something that does nothing for a long time, and then needs an additional 90 nora entry cost.

My favorite late game scaling tool is honestly a simple unholy tomb, or the worm racial.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think it's necessary as a scaling option. It's eminently possible that the opponent has ways of handling Essence Devourer, Wandering Zombie, and the other fluff, and in those cases Xulos does a ton to punch through. I disagree that Death Pact is something that you don't want to use on Xulos, even with Statue -- the extra health from Statue, on the contrary, makes using pact a much safer option. The tempo hit of 25 nora from the Statue can hurt in the early turns, but I don't think it is game-ending by any means. Also, it's wrong to think of Xulos/Statue as having an additional 90 nora "entry cost", considering that it's just paying 90 nora for a functional, above-average champion. The Statue is a front-costed tempo hit; Xulos is not. If you're running Dark Favor 3 -- which I do, and think people should -- then Xulos is often less of a tempo hit than champions that cost half as much.

themacca likes this.
  14. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

The talks of the mad man kalasle have borne fruit? I will have to look into this… wouldn't be my first time but I'll give it another go

15. DiCEM0nEY

I know what you mean by Xulous being an above average champion, and pretty much a monkey wrench which can fix anything, but in my experience, using death pact efficiently and safely is hard when you have statue out, unless you are getting through arrow eater or something. And the 90 nora up front cost, IS something that needs to be taken into account, since if the game is early enough, you may have been better playing a wandering zombie since it resist physical 3 for example. The 25 nora cost for statue is a lot, it's basically the difference between a deploy and a spell or equip vs no equip.

16. hallows99

hallows99 The King of Potatoes

I've been out of the game for awhile so these might be really dumb questions. Wouldn't you want to run a Sac. dagger in this group? Seems like a no-brainer for the ED's. Also, these decks seem pretty relic heavy. Does anyone run Mason's Spire with them?

17. themacca

nah. essence devourers are onlu 51 nora. one of the biggest advantages to them is that you can constantly recycle one after the other, just force the opponent to spend resources to kill it then drop another one.

And majority of FW decks nowadays are pretty relic heavy

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

With FW, you are relic heavy, or you are worms, or you are bad. Mason Spire serves a very slight purpose in the relic-heavy decks, but it isn't worth the slot. In theory, it provides value against Seism by forcing two Seisms for a relic instead of one, but you should be screening with Statue or Skulls anyway. The rest of your relics wont be taking damage, or if they are, it's from Overload, and there is jack-all you can do about that ability unless you are running three sources of Spire, and even then it only prevents one life-cycle of an Unstable Powersource, and still dies to either of the other Overload champs. So, no, there's no point in Spire.

And like macca said, any deck that tries to keep Essence Devourer alive is playing Essence Devourer wrong.

19. hallows99

hallows99 The King of Potatoes

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice. I can see the reason for most of the runes but I have question on two of them:
    1) Fallen Draksar-Is this because of cheap shatter? I know he is cheap, but SPD 5 ..ouch.
    2) Golden Lamia-Maybe I'm not seeing the upside. She seems a bit expensive to me for what she does.

20. themacca

violent and regeneration give him some good long term use and golden lamia is just a ranged unit is good right from being deployed. doesnt need to wait til she builds up like you would with any of the vengeful units.