Every Single Day...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cydna, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Single Player goes down and players are constantly asking why.

Can y'all make a little yellow message appear when it goes down or fix whatever the problem is?

Anima26, IMAGIRL, Saprophyte and 2 others like this.
  2. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

It's magic

3. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

I've said that at the very beginning. Make an announcement about single server will be down each day roughly (startTime - endTime).

I've said this again during steam re-launch, and I'll say this again...

New players have NO idea what's up and most of them will not ask and leave the game having an impression "this game doesn't work".

Anima26 and IMAGIRL like this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

honestly

IMAGIRL and Pattn199 like this.
  5. Iskandak

Iskandak The King of Potatoes

this morning a newbie told that he restarted, reinstalled it and finally asked what was wrong. Im glad he asked, but if he had known earlier he would not have reinstalled or almost quit of course.

Anima26 and IMAGIRL like this.
  6. JaceDragon

Sok

Pattn199 likes this.
  7. Saprophyte

Saprophyte Member

That was me.
    <.<
    But yeah. I started Pox up to test some new runes and went to try the dailies and the game craps itself and won't load the match, let me back out, switch match tabs, etc. My initial impression was something went catastrophically wrong with the game (overnight, no less). Despite it being a "known bug" I couldn't find anything about it when I searched the forums, so thankfully you and other people in global chat helped me out on that one.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Anima26 likes this.
  8. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I've said this countless time by now, but this should be a priority. Whether we like it or not, SP tends to be what introduces players to this game. It needs to be fixed, and what's more. There need to be a better SP experience to better transition players from SP to PvP where the game truly exists.

Anima26 likes this.
  9. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

10. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

When an issue like this persists for months like it has with very little acknowledgement, it makes me question how serious DOG are about Pox. Theyre quick to make new content and all that cus theyre quick money makers, but any other issues seem to take months to fix. The worst part is that this particular issue, (having no information or announcement when single player server decides to go tits up on a daily basis.) will have turned away a number of new players already that cant be arsed to deal with things being broken and not knowing why.

Probably priorities and a small team at fault, maybe, but this issue should have been dealt with swiftly ages ago....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Pattn199 likes this.
  11. JaceDragon

Shattered Peaks leads only the wicked

12. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

They actually talked about this in one of the Q&As. Apparently it was something to do with a bumble SOE made and it's pretty darn difficult to fix. (If i remember correctly)

Anima26 likes this.
  13. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

If the issue is hard to fix i can understand that, but not implementing a yellow announcement or something similar and setting it to broadcast at same time daily doesnt sound like a good thing to me, thats all thats really needed until they fix the real issue. Im just thinking about the new players that this issue has and will continue to frustrate and confuse. The issue doesnt bother me personally i just avoid single player at that time of day, its only usually for half an hour or so.

Edit: Somebody commented saying that they even checked the forums for information and couldnt find any, thats not good.

14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Your avatar is slightly disturbing and somewhat intriguing... story?

Qucas, Saprophyte and Anima26 like this.
  15. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Just Pox things.

16. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

It's called triage. The problem itself is pretty critical but it has a reliable workaround (rebooting the server). This drops the severity of the problem down to a cosmetic one. Mix that with a high dev estimate to fix the problem and a shortage of dev resources and you have the recipe for a perennial issue. I suspect that the music bug is probably in a similar place.

Putting some construction tape in the game client sounds like a good idea from a communication perspective, but it can be argued that if any dev work at all is to be done it should be fixing the problem in the first place, not building around it. Again, resources and priorities.

But you're right that communication is probably the correct approach in this case. I'm not sure if that's front page, Steam, forums, or all three.

Anima26 likes this.
  17. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Just saying. we all complain this happens. has anyone actually bothered to record what time this starts and when it gets fixed each day

18. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Around 3am-4am PST

It's usually down for an hour.

Anima26 likes this.
  19. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

Didn't the old octopi website have a poxnora timer on it? Wouldn't hurt to just include that in the game would it.

20. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

according to a green ( can't remember who) said this is a problem when SOE hand poxnora over. I'll try to dig up where that comment.

EDIT: FOUND
    EDIT2:
    Found an old thread about this: http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/single-player-down.8442/

The thread started on 17th Oct 2014

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Senshu and Ozariig like this.