Expo 29 Meta-check

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kalasle, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

You tried Mine Field for Whorls? Not as strong as it used to be with 4 mines but I have seen it kill some stuff.

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

As I consider myself not an absolute piece of Bane Shift, I have always refused to run mine field.

3. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I think the greatest catch when it comes to RD is the hidden aspect.
    Know those turns (and lets be frank, there are a lot of them) in which the guy makes the perfect calculations in his head, and devotes the entire turn to one round a champ just to find out that his last, ranged attack, has been diverted back to his face, and sad champ will be immune to ranged attacks thereafter? Yeah those turns are game enders. Thats how powerful the spell is.
    Obviously, as Mark said good players will play around the rune, but they will also play around Drown, Gale, ED, etc. etc. etc.
    I can see an argument being made on how it can be dispelled and how dispel is very prominent in the game, but I think that from an IS player perspective casting RD is always a win win situation.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    kalasle likes this.
  4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I can respect that.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I understand Markoth's point about the 40 nora price tag -- Mike mentioned as much -- but I think those are both serious considerations as well: on the one hand, its hidden nature can be incredible, and on the other, Dispel makes its duration much more questionable.

6. Pedeguerra

Just as a reference, I'd run Blizzard Cloak x1 if it had retained its hidden aspect for 40 nora, and I'm being completely honest here.

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, I believe it. The hidden component means that, unless your opponent has a wonderful read on what you are doing, the spell (whether Cloak or RD) will absorb at least one opposing attack.

8. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

This is so true, I considered dropping it from my bg a few times but it remains based on the idea that it will at times win games practically by itself.

I want to say it's OP but counterplays.

9. Pedeguerra

Yeah, and I feel RD is even better than Blizzard Cloak could be, since your attacks are being deflected and there is no spread counter like Precision.

Edit: I've tried this before, and since we are at peace now, @Sokolov , would you be willing to revert this horrible nerf to Blizzard Cloak now that Snowblind has a duration? It's the only hidden spell we have.

DrakeArron likes this.
  10. potatonuts

It has the drawback of being ineffective against melee units though.

11. Pedeguerra

Yeah, both would have their pros and cons, but I feel RD would still be the clear winner here. Old Blizzard Cloak required the target to be on snow for the effect to be hidden, for example, and as long as I have AP on my champs, I can simply make the 3 attacks (with units with low DMG, for example) and kill the target, as opposed to only be able to be hit the RD champion with melee.
    Not to mention the crazy scenarios where you cast Majestic on the RD champion.

12. potatonuts

I think that's the key point, RD requires specific counters but BC can theoretically be countered by any bg.

Also there are those times when someone is rushing and double taps before they realize it's been cast.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  13. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Transfusion is like 5x more degenerate than minefield imho.

Here is a dumb broken deck for anybody interested:
    [​IMG]

14. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Uhh i mean....I personally considered blizzard cloak to be better than rd, but maybe thats just me.

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Thanks for the reply. This deck obviously has a lot of shenanigans going on -- do you think it's strong enough to compete with other tier 1 decks? Do you have a brief, like 1-paragraph assessment/breakdown of the deck? It's really cool to see splits posted here, and I appreciated hearing about @OriginalG1 's deck, so it would be great to hear more about yours as well.

Edited OP to include more decks.

16. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

It's a gimmick deck. Not quite as strong as the seasong cataclysm deck that Live123 is running (I don't quite remember who developed it originally) but it works pretty well against a lot of top decks. The main thing is the way hunter abilities scale currently, where it stacks and works much better on small damage abilities like auras or, in this case, trample. Broodlord comes with an automatic hunter:small ability that makes his tramples 4 damage against all small units. If you split it with KF you basically add together the top 2 AP gen spells in the game in time slip and transfusion, throw in a touch of spot mobility with the KF font bonus and butterfly wings, and then toss on hunter: equipped from lexicon (so 4 trample vs large equipped and 6 vs. small equipped, less the Sl bonus if you are playing them) and an equipment that transfers from champ to champ as you kill them while being efficient in its own right and you basically have a mini AoV with splash damage and without relying on your opponent's moves.

Then you add in AoV.

I've only been playing it for 2 days but it's been very effective so far although the deck isn't quite perfected and I haven't been playing perfectly with it. Gets hard countered by a few meta and semi-meta spells though.

kalasle likes this.
  17. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think it is, RD is half as effective and lasts less turns. More counters though,

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Needs more locust.

Probably. Consistency is key

SPiEkY likes this.
  19. Pedeguerra

Oh boy, I disagree wholeheartly with you all here.
    1) How is RD half as effective, because it doesnt block damage from melee? But RD makes them completely immune from ranged during the duration, which Blizzard Cloak didnt at all. I'd say they are at the very least as effective as each other, because once the opponent knows the champ has the spell he stops attacking, on both instances. Unless, of course, you have AP to waste the 3 BC misses, whereas with RD you have to either: wait for the duration to go off; have dispel on the go.
    2) How is it "more consistent"? Because there are matches where ranged champs arent deployed? Or maybe because melee champs are the most spread around?
    Im guessing Burnzy said this because its better on 1v1 scenarios? But then the IS player just casts Hammer Strike instead.

Come on guys, dont let silly anti ST bias cloud your judgement, RD is clearly better.

What's funny, though, is that we are comparing RD to BC old version, which was runnable. New one is deep down in the shoebox.

@Sokolov could you consider turning Blizzard Cloak to its old version?

20. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Just gonna go on a hunch here. But Blizzard Cloak eats 3 attacks or lasts 8 turns unless dispelled. It can be cheaper, has a longer duration, and works on both melee and range... but it can be countered by Precision. RD on the other had, typically only eats 1 ranged attack. So it terms of efficiency, you end up using 9 ap (assuming 3 different champs' first attack) vs 3ap, but RD does reflect the damage. Like other players have mentioned, RD is predictable, and most players won't make the mistake of double tapping against IS. It can be worked around due to the fact that most BGs have more melee champs than range champs.

Not saying RD is weak, but i'm just saying I think they're on the same level.

SPiEkY likes this.