Favorite runes/combos that are now shoebox/unavailable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Baalzamon

Baalzamon I need me some PIE!

Scimitar of the Deep used to just add 10 to the damage of a creature occupying water. I would equip a ranged creature (usually Goblin Archer) with it and destroy just about anything. This was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. A time when Heroes did not have to stay in a single faction deck. Menalaus was a monster with this combo on certain maps or with water generation.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

9 ap owl raider: lift+double attack into free cone while it had air striker. Air striker alone was one of my favorite abilities I used it as pseudo detect a lot as many stealth units fly.

nora beasts + crystal phoenix before they added healing def to the beasts and effectively removed them from the game.

crystal phoenix + body guard - reminded me of the same style of play FW employs now where effectively you either take the font or you stay away from it, as being near it but not taking it can lead to up hill battles and bad trades.

aid defense + lonx = I loved the concept of units that all helped each other get stronger rather then them each individually being amazing, I thought at the time aid defense was the start of this themes down that road.

Azaran+invig+ beasts = still considered playable by some i guess, I miss the impact on beasts that he used to have, that sudden shift up to 11 beasts would have when azaran hit the board into an invigorate, that could instantly catch many opponents off guard with +ap, loss of lumbering, crushing charge, and then he had drive as well.

frost wing glaives old bounce mechanics + old hunted = 28 damage on hit 1, 21 damage on hit 2, 14 damage on hit 3. repeatable only twice in a match as you only two sources of hunted were on th gaives themselves, and if you boosted his damage with coord towers the hits would increase. hsi damage was predictable but significant and back when he was good, it was fun to pull off.

0 speed combos + old AP system - there were dozens of ways back in old pox, trap stacking was the easiest, but majestic, slowed, ice, frozen, and/or other debuffes woul also do well to hit 0 speed, and it was a relatively reasonable tactic to pull off back then and made the brunt of how st used to play, I cannot describe the joy of tricking a dwarf king into running on 5 ice traps and seeing it's speed hit 0 and lose all it's AP and sit there helpless knowing he over extended now, it was the basis for how st played and I miss this a lot.

Aura swarming/frost cones + gnark - what ca I say I love goofy interaction, and the merging of two unintended mechanics like this for unexpected results was enjoyable.

terrain+soul frost + frost cone = this one was broken as hell, but I've always loved soul frost and for a brief window of time it was actually useful as you could pay it off immediately in the right situation, rather then hopping through a number of hoops just to break even.

yeti ambusher - summoned traps font contesting : can't lie the sheer number of games I won with stealthed units and summoned traps contesting fonts cannot be counted, watching a player flounder around in a font while the only thing stopping them from taking it is a trap is pure bliss for a strategist, better when the trap is actually free.

keeper of memories/nora control - this is simple enough, track your opponents nora and drop the keepers bomb when you believed it would hurt the most, was a part of keeper that complicated his play but also rewarded the keen observers, was sad to see it go.

wish+anything fun - simple enough wish some crazy broken ability off the nearest enemy champ and get something stupid like a keeper of memories with split lol. the most broken and yet most useless rune at the same time depending on the champs that were on the board, as always god for a laugh when observing games.

flag of unification + charge - back during the original release of flag of unification it gaves all friendly units in range charge, this was amazing....by today's standards it's not much but gave st a ton of mobility in a time when things like DK were the strongest units in the game.

retreat + playable = for a brief 1 day period after it's release retreat was playable, I can't remember exactly but it was amazing, I want to say 100% refund but at 45 nora down so at best you had about 30 or 40 nora back on the average champ which you could use to redeploy it the following turn, anyway it was a good day and didn't really feel broken to me, about as strong as a sacrifice and not significant enough of a difference to think it would have any stronger of an effect on the game.

jakei maiden+force barrier = probably the best support unit st has ever had, this unit was cheap as hell, caused massive road blocks, and put out a ton of healing. it did not last long, at it's prime it would of easily been comparable to things like snake charmer of today.

I could keep going but I really should stop....

Vash Dragneel and Gnomes like this.
  3. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Been a while since I heard the term shoebox. It used to be thrown around all the time here just a few years ago.

4. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

So st is always op.

Got it

5. greed4blood

greed4blood The King of Potatoes

lmao xd

6. calisk

I have lists of fun combos for other factions I enjoy but quite frankly I never played those factions seriously back then...couldn't afford more than one in college.

I leave that to their own respective zealots..so get to it I guess.

7. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

Old Bastion + wild chieftain = 1 kill at turn

Exemplar + incite rage = unstoppable berserk 3 unit at rng 3-5 17 dmg and counter atk rng

guokamoli54 likes this.
  8. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

Monsoon + feeding frenzy is such a terrible classic.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  9. calisk

was one of the solid combo's back then a back bone of the faction really, was very thematic as well. imo they don't make them like they did this one anymore.

10. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

A testament to all the balancing work that went on. There are very few runes that are actually 'shoebox' anymore, it's more of an' ok - meta - kento' spectrum.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    SPiEkY, Woffleet and soulmilk like this.
  11. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

During the Skywin era, one of my favorites was:
    Skywing Beacon + Skywing Agitator--> move toward target...equip forbidden fruit, exert, dead champ!
    Now exert is nerfed to start on CD...

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Testing him with Terraformer and Grav Flux atm. Shockwave has won me games against Tiny, Baller, Kokon and Davre so far.

13. calisk

Shock wave bomb was always very interesting

My favorite use was in st/is as it is practically impossible with the application of swap to prevent him from getting into position.

Swap then gravity then profit.

I'd of played it more if I could mesh with the IS play style at All, one faction I've never been able to play well.

St/is also had bursticade barricade+snow burst add in the newest iteration of leoss architect and that combo still kills.

With all the combo nerfs st/is still has some of the best removal combos even if they are pretty expensive.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  14. guokamoli54

guokamoli54 I need me some PIE!

Real old school one

Back when frost cone just did damage equal to the creatures power. Equipping Pit Dragon with Yetihide Cape was absurd.

I miss back when Oozing Slag had Battleharden 3 and Replicate that was obnoxious.

Not sure if AP denial is still a thing but those BGs were stupid silly lol

Rage Band and Skeezick Cannonier was an absurd combo.

There were so many busted old school combos I miss sometimes lol this thread is great.

Fentum likes this.
  15. calisk

i've done pitdragon with yeti cape in this meta

still a pretty potent aoe in full frost amp with frost amulets out and about.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  16. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Pit Dragon with Yeti cape. Ah the good old days.

I’m gonna try that again tonight.

Actually, I might equip an ireguard

guokamoli54 likes this.
  17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Gnark + Yeti Hide Cape = Multi-Swarm

guokamoli54 likes this.
  18. calisk

already called it....still a fan, I get why it was removed but aura swarming should of remained a thing >.>

frost cone + soul frost on icesnap though <3

19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's my favorite.

Also, it was a bug. It just suddenly broke one patch due to some other change.

20. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Rage band and draksar archers with pre nerf fury