FESHING OUT A THEME

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by Woffleet, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

I've never been a big "fesh" theme lover--just never appealed to me. But what about a "Cannabilistic Fesh" spell (or maybe a champ). It implants another fesh and, when the implanted fesh dies, it spawns another (several?) other fesh depending on how long the implanted fesh survives. If the player keeps the implanted fesh away from the front lines for longer (i.e. a bigger tempo hit) it gets more/stronger fesh from the spell. Since the spell has a ramp up, it can be countered by the other playing killing the implanted fesh.

2. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

interesting please explain more

3. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Well, I think of fesh as sort of being aliens from Aliens 2. We already have a fesh that implants in other champions and causes 8 loss of life per turn. I was thinking about a fesh that does the same thing, but only it eats/implants other fesh. In game terms, I'm not sure how it would work out. Maybe a spell that causes a condition on a target friendly fesh. I could see it doing a few things, i.e. causing loss of life each turn, having an effect like short lived. When the fesh dies, a new fesh is spawned. More fesh are spawned the longer the original fesh was implanted, or perhaps a stronger fesh spawns the longer the fesh was implanted. This would reflect the implanted fesh have more time to mature in the host. Alternatively, a new fesh might spawn only if the original fesh had the implanted condition for X turns, which would require a tempo hit (i.e. protecting the original fesh) in order to get the benefits of the spell.

I don't know whether this would/wouldn't be helpful for the theme--just an idea I had. Alternatively, the cannabilistic fesh could be a champion that eats/devours other fesh with something like a repurpose mechanic. If it devours enough fesh, it creates a full health clone...perhaps.

Woffleet likes this.
  4. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

I can think of several play styles and key words that would benefit a "Fesh Theme": Implant (keyword) and Carrier

Vindictive + Implant (spell)
    Warmonger
    Devour (cannibalistic fesh)
    Swarm and lots of Swarm

I can think of Fesh theme to play similar like UD, and restricts opponent like FW, while correlating with Sacrifices and powering up through dead feshes.

5. Woffleet

6. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

To be honest, I played a fun Fesh BG over half a year ago and I learned quite a lot from it.
    Albino Fesh and Goliath Fesh are both great at taking out 1 enemy champion.
    Enemies will try to hide their champions just out of range, which makes AP gen and relocation ideal.
    Hyaenid Feshwrangler have Vigorous Cry, granting extra AP.
    The spell Implant grants 3 AP to every fesh you control.
    Alacrity is amazing in Fesh, since they already have high HP to begin with.
    Vicious Harpoon is ofcourse awesome.

Feshes are pretty unique, so making them play like a regular theme is not something I'd strive for.
    When designing new feshes, you should think of an interesting mechanic for each of them.

Suggestions.

I personally think the Infest ability on Parasitic Fesh costs way too much.
    Cyclonic Fesh was the only ranged Fesh, so for Fesh, it's very important for it to get its range back.

What feshes need.

Detection. If you have watched the movie tremors, you will learn that worms feels movement/vibrations.
    Shatter. Maybe have some kind of ranged fesh with attack: acid and Sword Breaker. (or acid breath that also destroys equipment.)
    Ranged Champions. See above.
    Magic Damage. Don't have any suggestions.
    Fesh Support. Only Real support is the spell Implant.

7. Woffleet

what type of playstyle do you suggest then? Just a FYI Gedden stated that he's going to use a similar model to the one described in this thread when Fleshing out the Fesh Theme.

8. soulmilk

I never said your suggestion was bad. I do feel there might be too many different kind of pieces. Pretty sure you could combine some of the types together.
    Some of the already existing Feshes doesn't fit in the different types, which seems kind of weird.
    Immobile Giantic Fesh that need the theme's terrain type to move sounds too much like Ancient Slag.
    I am pretty sure Fesh already have big threat champions in Goliath Fesh and Cyclonic Fesh, once it gets its range back that is. So I am not sure why Gargantuans are needed. (Though more of such runes are all welcome.)
    Melee feshes sounds like pretty basic champion units. You could just combine them with the tunnel builders.

I do however like Fesh Burrow, it's a great theme enabler.

9. Woffleet

thanks for the comments! Can you show me some champion or spell ideas?

10. soulmilk

Would take some time to think up something.
    Though, we probably should find info on some problems might come up with playing fesh. Since Tunnel: Earth seem to be an important ability for them, getting to know the ability better is important.
    Things like "What exactly is earth terrain" and "How do 2x2 units work with only being 1 space of earth" and such.

11. Woffleet

yhea I noticed that earth and stone don't mix. These should be combined into one terrain

soulmilk likes this.
  12. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

I have always been in love with the idea of a Fesh theme -- based entirely around champ removal and control. Most of the theme's champs would have parasitic or disabling abilities, but would be relatively weak, otherwise. That kind of dynamic would require strategy. I like that.

soulmilk likes this.
  13. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Infest is too weak. Bump it to 10 or 12 loss of life and the parasitic fesh suddenly becomes un-shoeboxed

Woffleet and allyorbase like this.
  14. Woffleet

can you place your suggestions for more parasitic abilities here?

15. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Well, Infest could be a sur-title for a collection of abilities that all start out the same: the unit loses HP every turn until it dies from it. It could be expanded to other non-Fesh units, too, because what comes after "Infest" is what matters. These abilities would make use of the new flyout popups that show concise descriptions for highlighted effects.

Note: One change is that the unit doesn't have to die from the Infest loss of life. The effect *always* triggers, regardless of how the Infested unit dies. This might require a tweak to the Parasitic Fesh's current kit.

Infest: Erupting Parasite (Parasitic Fesh)
    Make an attack against target champion within 2 spaces. If successful, this unit is removed from play, and the target becomes Infested: Erupting Parasite (at the beginning of each turn, it loses 8 HP. If it is destroyed, a Parasitic Fesh spawns in that champion's space, under your control. This condition can not be cleansed).

Infest: Neural Parasite
    Make an attack against target champion within 2 spaces. If successful, this unit is removed from play, and the target becomes Infested: Neural Parasite (at the beginning of each turn, it loses 8 HP. If it is destroyed, Fesh within 6 spaces gain 2 AP and this unit's Upgraded abilities. This condition can not be cleansed).

Infest: Blood Parasite
    Make an attack against target champion within 2 spaces. If successful, this unit is removed from play, and the target becomes Infested: Blood Parasite (at the beginning of each turn, it loses 8 HP. If it is destroyed, enemy champions within 6 spaces become Bloodied, Poisoned 2, and Diseased 2. This condition can not be cleansed).​

So, the units that would have these abilities would be cheap (ideally), and only a handful of Fesh would have such abilities. Other Fesh would have "normal" abilities, that typically echo a parasitic tone (such as the Goliath Fesh and the Albino Fesh). The Cyclonic Fesh needs a rework. Ideally, it would get some parasitic love, too -- just not sure how or to what extent. The Feshwrangler is fine, as-is (with regards to this thread, I mean).

Woffleet likes this.
  16. Woffleet

These ideas are great! I hope Gedden sees them!

17. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

You like Dune. I love you.

Sirius likes this.
  18. Xuvali

Xuvali Devotee of the Blood Owl

Couldn't help but point out SP has 3 Swallow Whole champs already.

Gluttonous Overseer.

19. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I always thought Hyaenid Feshwrangler was a reference/homage to Dune. It can't NOT be.

EDIT: @Gedden, perhaps just a tiny bit of cross race synergy between Feshes and Hyaenids in the future? They'd be the desert people bravely taming the sand worms.

20. soulmilk

... When did this happen? I hadn't noticed.