Festering Wounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am not saying there hasn't been ANY global abilities. My point was that ones like UT haven't been proliferated, and what new global abilities have been limited and one-off in most cases, like the Stillwater Mutant Firk. It's not like most champs have some kind of global effect now.

2. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

What about the latest firk that does global damage global snare and a global distract..... Plus all the phoenix abuse that lasted for months. The point is please steer clear of global abilities they are very unhealthy for the game and don't add any strategic value to the game.

3. Sokolov

What about it? We are talking about it right now. And it only does Ensnare and CONFUSED if you combine it with a different ability.

4. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Doesn't matter if it requires a different ability which in this case soul tap is very easy to get on just about every champ on the board with fs, a global 5 damage and ensnare + distract was never ever a good idea.

5. Sokolov

What are you talking about? What abuse lasted for months?

6. Sokolov

Of course context matters. Again, it doesn't do Distract.

7. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

I think the overall point hes trying to make is that it seems like there are a lot more champs with global abilities and that global abilities are brainless and stupid. Remember, a good champ with a global ability is going to be run x2, of which a lot of them are. That may be why it seems like there are a lot more of them. I am actually in complete agreement with super on this issue.

Edit: And yeah, that firk is stupid as hell

Ifem21 and SaintKiwi like this.
  8. Sokolov

I get that you dislike global effects? And that's fine, there are VALID arguments against global effects. I just don't think it's correct to say there's been a sudden explosion of global effects.

9. Ballballer

You can run 7 champs with dark favor in FW dude. Thats like half your total chanp count.
    4 of those 7 also have double lives and proc dark favor twice

SaintKiwi likes this.
  10. Sokolov

Is there really though? I mean, from my perspective I feel like I use global effects very sparingly - I have created hundreds of runes and a small fraction have global abilities - because I agree with the general premise.

11. Sokolov

I do not deny there's more Dark Favor in general, and in FW in particular. I mean, if we want to focus specifically on Dark Favor in FW, that's fine and I think it's a valid concern but I thought we were talking Pox as a whole.

12. Ballballer

Its just that some of them are used x2 in their factions decks. Like the fw phoenix, the firk, the mutant dude, the SL phoenix etc. So these champs keep showing up a lot more than before. Global damage is just brainless and really really really annoying to continually play against. Especially against champs with double lives. The fw bonus doesnt help either, because they just get deployed again and again

SaintKiwi likes this.
  13. Ballballer

So lets take fs psychic for instance(which is a top bg), theyre going to run 2 of the firks and 2 of the mutant dude. Thats 4 global effects in a faction that previously had none. St/fs split is even more annoying, as they throw aspects of infinity in there too. It just seems like global effects are a lot more rampant lately, because everybody and there mother are going to use them if theyre running that theme or even the faction itself if the champ is good enough

SaintKiwi likes this.
  14. Sokolov

Would you say global damage shouldn't exist in general? Or are there scenarios where it's ok?

Additionally, are global ABILITIES/EFFECTS the problem as well? Or just global damage ones specifically? I am getting confused because all 3 terms have been used in this conversation, but everything listed as a problem has been damage based.

15. Ballballer

Idk thats a hard question. I liked dark favor when it was just on xulos as it was a defining ability. I liked greetings when they were just on spark crone, acid elemental, and a few other champs im maybe forgetting. But as a whole and as a design area, I really really dislike global abilites. "Here deploy this champ and do 6 damage to all opposing champs" is not a good mechanic to proliferate

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  16. Ballballer

Also i forgot, but the stupid strig swarmer dude has dark favor as well now. Thats 8 global effects in that particular fs/st split. Add in a couple of mind shredders and kento and that deck is rage inducing

SaintKiwi likes this.
  17. Sokolov

You called it brainless earlier. Is the decision of whether the nora is worth spending on a champion (instead of deploying something with an ability that does something over time) not a decision making process that requires brains?

Is it because you find that it is always efficient given the cost?

What if instead of 4/8/12 nora, Dark Favor was 8/16/24 nora?

18. Sokolov

It's always had it.

19. Sokolov

But yea, I am convinced, the Phoenixes x2 in particular definitely seems like it'd create a lot more triggers of global damage effects - even if the % of runes having global damage effects haven't increased significantly.

20. Ballballer

Of course theres always a decision to be made, but by brainless i mean theres not really any counterplay at all besides healing, and it hits every single champ and cant be prevented. Which is why if your faction lacks healing (or cleanse after the inevitable festering wounds follows) the global damage becomes rage inducing, uncounterable, and toxic. I do not know the appropriate cost for dark favor, but if youre telling me dark favor 2 only costs 8 nora then that is absolutely hilarious

SaintKiwi likes this.